Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The teachings of Jesus and Buddha

Options
  • 22-07-2006 4:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭

Hi!

Having studied old Buddhist Sutras (teachings) lately I have noticed some really striking similarities with some of the sayings and well-known stories from the Bible. Here are some of the equivalent quotes that I found. Also the differences are interesting, I think.

(The quotes marked with * or + are from the Pali Canon, a collection of Buddhist writings that, according to the historians (if I understand it correctly) was written down between hundred years after the death of the historical Buddha (Buddhas death in 483 B.C.E) and 100 B.C.E. Most of he other Buddhist quotes are said to have been written down several hundred years later, though the oral tradition of at least parts of the texts, is said to be ancient.)

Part one:

The woman at the well:

FROM THE BIBLE:
    Now he came to a Samaritan town called Sychar, near the plot of land that Jacob had given to his son Joseph.Jacob’s well was there, so Jesus, since he was tired from the journey, sat right down beside the well. It was about noon.A Samaritan woman came to draw water. Jesus said to her, “Give me some water to drink.” (For his disciples had gone off into the town to buy supplies.) So the Samaritan woman said to him, “How can you – a Jew – ask me, a Samaritan woman, for water to drink?” (For Jews use nothing in common with Samaritans.) Jesus answered her, “If you had known the gift of God and who it is who said to you, ‘Give me some water to drink,’ you would have asked him, and he would have given you living water.” “Sir,” the woman said to him, “you have no bucket and the well is deep; where then do you get this living water? Surely you’re not greater than our ancestor Jacob, are you? For he gave us this well and drank from it himself, along with his sons and his livestock.” Jesus replied, “Everyone who drinks some of this water will be thirsty again. But whoever drinks some of the water that I will give him will never be thirsty again, but the water that I will give him will become in him a fountain of water springing up to eternal life.”
    (John 4: 5-14)

FROM THE SUTRAS:
    Ananda, the favorite disciple of the Buddha, having been sent by the Lord on a mission, passed by a well near a village, and seeing Pakati, a girl of the Matanga caste, he asked her for water to drink. Pakati said: "O Brahman, I am too humble and mean to give thee water to drink, do not ask any service of me lest thy holiness be contaminated, for I am of low caste." And Ananda replied: "I ask not for caste but for water"; and the Matanga girl's heart leaped joyfully and she gave Ananda to drink.
    Ananda thanked her and went away; but she followed him at a distance. Having heard that Ananda was a disciple of Gotama Sakyamuni, the girl repaired to the Blessed One and cried: "O Lord help me, and let me live in the place where Ananda thy disciple dwells, so that I may see him and minister unto him, for I love Ananda." The Blessed One understood the emotions of her heart and he said: "Pakati, thy heart is full of love, but thou understandest not thine own sentiments. It is not Ananda that thou lovest, but his kindness. Accept, then, the kindness thou hast seen him practice unto thee, and in the humility of thy station practice it unto others. Verily there is great merit in the generosity of a king when he is kind to a slave; but there is a greater merit in the slave when he ignores the wrongs which he suffers and cherishes kindness and good-will to all mankind. He will cease to hate his oppressors, and even when powerless to resist their usurpation will with compassion pity their arrogance and supercilious demeanor.
    "Blessed art thou, Pakati, for though thou art a Matanga thou wilt be a model for noblemen and noble women. Thou art of low caste, but Brahmans may learn a lesson from thee. Swerve not from the path of justice and righteousness and thou wilt outshine the royal glory of queens on the throne."
    - Agamas +

Generous widows:

FROM THE BIBLE:
    Then he sat down opposite the offering box, and watched the crowd putting coins into it. Many rich people were throwing in large amounts. And a poor widow came and put in two small copper coins, worth less than a penny. He called his disciples and said to them, “I tell you the truth, this poor widow has put more into the offering box than all the others. For they all gave out of their wealth. But she, out of her poverty, put in what she had to live on, everything she had.”
    (Mark 12:41-44)

And whoever gives only a cup of cold water to one of these little ones in the name of a disciple, I tell you the truth, he will never lose his reward.”
    (Matthew 10:42)

FROM THE SUTRAS:
    When the Buddha was staying in Savathi, a rich merchant gave alms for three days, in keeping with his wealth. A well-endowed widow also gave a large amount, and the news of these two almsgivings spread all over India. Then people everywhere started asking, “Does the merit gained by almsgiving on large amounts or is it rather in accordance with one’s means?”
    When the monks heard these questions, they asked the Buddha to settle the matter.
    He said:
    “It is not by the amount that giving is productive of reward but rather by the generous impulse behind it. Therefore even so little as a handful of rice flour given with a pure heart becomes something that will bring great reward.”
    This statement was repeated throughout India. People gave alms according to their means to beggars and tramps and wandering monks. They provided drinking water in their courtyards and put seats beside the gateways. A wave of generosity spread through the contry.
    - Vimana Vatthu*

There was once a lone widow who was very destitute,
    and having gone to the mountain
    she beheld hermits holding a religious assembly.
    Then the woman was filled with joy, and uttering praises, said,
    "It is well, holy priests!
    but while others give precious things
    such as the ocean caves produce,
    I have nothing to offer."
    Having spoken thus
    and having searched herself in vain for something to give,
    she recollected that some time before
    she had found in a dungheap two coppers,
    so taking these she offered them forthwith
    as a gift to the priesthood in charity.
    The superior of the priests,
    a saint who could read the hearts of men,
    disregarding the rich gifts of others
    and beholding the deep faith dwelling in the heart of this poor widow,
    and wishing the priesthood to esteem rightly her religious merit,
    burst forth with full voice in a canto.
    He raised his right hand and said,
    "Reverend priests attend!" and then he proceeded:
    "The coppers of this poor widow
    To all purpose are more worth
    Than all the treasures of the oceans
    And the wealth of the broad earth.
    "As an act of pure devotion
    She has done a pious deed;
    She has attained salvation,
    Being free from selfish greed."
    The woman was mightily strengthened
    in her mind by this thought, and said,
    "It is even as the Teacher says:
    what I have done is as much
    as if a rich man were to give up all his wealth."

(From “The Gospel of the Buddha” – quite free translations and interpretations of texts from the Pali Canon by Paul Carus (1894) )

Don’t judge:

FROM THE BIBLE:
    “Do not judge so that you will not be judged. For by the standard you judge you will be judged, and the measure you use will be the measure you receive. Why do you see the speck in your brother’s eye, but fail to see the beam of wood in your own? Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me remove the speck from your eye,’ while there is a beam in your own? You hypocrite! First remove the beam from your own eye, and then you can see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.”
    (Matt 7:1-5)

FROM THE SUTRAS:
    "The results of karma cannot be known by thought, and so should not be speculated
    about. Thus, thinking, one would come to distraction and distress.

"Therefore, Ananda, do not be the judge of people; do not make assumptions about
    others. A person is destroyed by holding judgments about others."

-Anguttura Nikaya*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭maitri

Part two:

The rich man:

FROM THE BIBLE:
    Now someone came up to him and said, “Teacher, what good thing must I do to gain eternal life?” He said to him, “Why do you ask me about what is good? There is only one who is good. But if you want to enter into life, keep the commandments.” “Which ones?” he asked. Jesus replied, “Do not murder, do not commit adultery, do not steal, do not give false testimony, honor your father and mother, and love your neighbor as yourself.” The young man said to him, “I have wholeheartedly obeyed all these laws. What do I still lack?” Jesus said to him, “If you wish to be perfect, go sell your possessions and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.” But when the young man heard this he went away sorrowful, for he was very rich. Then Jesus said to his disciples, “I tell you the truth, it will be hard for a rich person to enter the kingdom of heaven! Again I say, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter into the kingdom of God.” The disciples were greatly astonished when they heard this and said, “Then who can be saved?” Jesus looked at them and replied, “This is impossible for mere humans, but for God all things are possible.”
    (Matthew 19:16-26)

FROM THE SUTRAS:
    A rich man said to the Buddha, "I see you are the Awakened One and I would
    like to open my mind to you and ask your advice. My life is full of work,
    and having made a great deal of money, I am surrounded by cares. I employ
    many people who depend on me to be successful. However, I enjoy my work and
    like working hard. But having heard your followers talk of the bliss of a
    hermit's life and seeing you as one who gave up a kingdom in order to become
    a homeless wanderer and find the truth, I wonder if I should do the same. I
    long to do what is right and to be a blessing to my people. Should I give
    up everything to find the truth?"

The Buddha replied: "The bliss of a truth-seeking life is attainable for
    anyone who follows the path of unselfishness. If you cling to your wealth,
    it is better to throw it away than to let it poison your heart. But if you
    don't cling to it but use it wisely, then you will be a blessing to people.
    It's not wealth and power that enslave men but the clinging to wealth and
    power.

"My teaching does not require anyone to become homeless or resign the world
    unless he wants to, but it does require everyone to free himself from the
    illusion that he is a permanent self and to act with integrity while giving
    up his craving for pleasure.

"And whatever people do, whether in the world or as a recluse, let them put
    their whole heart into it. Let them be committed and energetic, and if they
    have to struggle, let them do it without envy or hatred. Let them live not
    a life of self but a life of truth, and in that way bliss will enter their
    hearts."
    - Majjhima Nikaya +

Helping lepers:

FROM THE BIBLE:
    As he was entering a village, ten men with leprosy met him. They stood at a distance, raised their voices and said, “Jesus, Master, have mercy on us.” When he saw them he said, “Go and show yourselves to the priests.” And as they went along, they were cleansed. Then one of them, when he saw he was healed, turned back, praising God with a loud voice. He fell with his face to the ground at Jesus’ feet and thanked him. (Now he was a Samaritan.) Then Jesus said, “Were not ten cleansed? Where are the other nine? Was no one found to turn back and give praise to God except this foreigner?” Then he said to the man, “Get up and go your way. Your faith has made you well.”
    (Luke 17:12-19)

FROM THE SUTRAS:
    The Buddha was teaching his followers in the Bamboo Grove by the Squirrels Feeding Ground near the town of Rajgir. A leper who lived by begging in the town came across the throng listening to the Buddha and at the sight of so many people hoped there might be an almsgiving of food, but as he drew nearer, he thought, No there’s no food there. This is the Buddha giving his teaching. I might as well listen.
    The Buddha was wondering, among all these people, who was capable of understanding the teaching. He caught sight of the leper, who was sitting apart from the crowd, and thought – With his misfortunes, he will understand. So he talked of almsgiving and generosity, of the dangers of clinging to a sensual life, and of how blissful was freedom from the dictates of the self. He saw the lepers face became softened and elated and so he talked about the truths that the awakened discover for themselves – the ways conditioned life arises and the breaking of bonds into the unconditioned.
    As a white cloth free from stains is ready for the dye, so within the leper’s mind arose the pure and stainless understanding of the unconditioned and the timeless. He saw that what is born must die but that which is unborn is undying. He saw the truth, reached the truth, understood the truth, plunged into the truth, crossed over beyond doubting, was free from all questions, and with total confidence rose from his seat and made his way through the crowd to the Buddha. He exclaimed:
    “It is wonderful! It is just as though you have lifted up the fallen, discovered the hidden, pointed out the way to the confused, shown light in the darkness. May you accept me as a follower, as one who from now to the end of my life will take refuge in the truth.”
    The Buddha said: “You are one who is ready to take the teachings and to outshine many with your beauty.”
    - Udana Sutta*

The prodigal son:

FROM THE BIBLE:
    Then Jesus said, “A man had two sons. The younger of them said to his father, ‘Father, give me the share of the estate that will belong to me.’ So he divided his assets between them. After a few days, the younger son gathered together all he had and left on a journey to a distant country, and there he squandered his wealth with a wild lifestyle. Then after he had spent everything, a severe famine took place in that country, and he began to be in need. So he went and worked for one of the citizens of that country, who sent him to his fields to feed pigs. He was longing to eat the carob pods the pigs were eating, but no one gave him anything. But when he came to his senses he said, ‘How many of my father’s hired workers have food enough to spare, but here I am dying from hunger! I will get up and go to my father and say to him, “Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son; treat me like one of your hired workers.”’ So he got up and went to his father. But while he was still a long way from home his father saw him, and his heart went out to him; he ran and hugged his son and kissed him. Then his son said to him, ‘Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you; I am no longer worthy to be called your son.’ But the father said to his slaves, ‘Hurry! Bring the best robe, and put it on him! Put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet! Bring the fattened calf and kill it! Let us eat and celebrate, because this son of mine was dead, and is alive again – he was lost and is found!’ they began to celebrate.
    “Now his older son was in the field. As he came and approached the house, he heard music and dancing. So he called one of the slaves and asked what was happening. The slave replied, ‘Your brother has returned, and your father has killed the fattened calf because he got his son back safe and sound.’ But the older son became angry and refused to go in. His father came out and appealed to him, but he answered his father, ‘Look! These many years I have worked like a slave for you, and I never disobeyed your commands. Yet you never gave me even a goat so that I could celebrate with my friends! But when this son of yours came back, who has devoured your assets with prostitutes, you killed the fattened calf for him!’ Then the father said to him, ‘Son, you are always with me, and everything that belongs to me is yours. It was appropriate to celebrate and be glad, for your brother was dead, and is alive; he was lost and is found.’”
    (Luke 15:11-32)

FROM THE SUTRAS (very abbreviated):
    A father and son parted company while the son was still very young.
    In the course of time, the father became very rich while the son sank into the
    depths of poverty and beggary. Once during the course of his wanderings,
    he happened to come to the palatial home of his father.
    The father, at once recognizing him, had him brought into his presence.
    This only frightened the poor young man and the father had to let him go.
    Then he sent two of his attendants to ask the beggar whether he would accept
    A job doing menial labor on the rich man’s estate.
    The beggar consented and worked in this way, shoveling manure, for many years.
    On day the rich man told the manure shoveler that, in his view, after his many years
    of honest and conscientious service, it’s time to reward him and move him up to
    managerial status. So he became in charge of his entire household and all
    his possessions and he had to keep track of expenses and such. Several years more
    passed and the rich man one day gathered his entire household together
    and his clan and he told them that this former beggar was his son from
    whom he had been parted many years before and he was now reclaiming him
    and declaring him to be heir to all his possessions.
    When the former beggar heard this, he was amazed, thinking that he’d
    received something quite unexpected.

- Saddharmapundarika Sutra (from between 100 B.C.E. – 100 A.D, according to Wikipedia)

Part three:

The talents:

FROM THE BIBLE:
    “For it is like a man going on a journey, who summoned his slaves and entrusted his property to them.To one he gave five talents, to another two, and to another one, each according to his ability. Then he went on his journey. The one who had received five talents went off right away and put his money to work and gained five more. In the same way, the one who had two gained two more. But the one who had received one talent went out and dug a hole in the ground and hid his master’s money in it. After a long time, the master of those slaves came and settled his accounts with them.The one who had received the five talents came and brought five more, saying, ‘Sir, you entrusted me with five talents. See, I have gained five more.’ His master answered, ‘Well done, good and faithful slave! You have been faithful in a few things. I will put you in charge of many things. Enter into the joy of your master.’ The one with the two talents also came and said, ‘Sir, you entrusted two talents to me. See, I have gained two more.’ His master answered, ‘Well done, good and faithful slave! You have been faithful with a few things. I will put you in charge of many things. Enter into the joy of your master.’ Then the one who had received the one talent came and said, ‘Sir, I knew that you were a hard man, harvesting where you did not sow, and gathering where you did not scatter seed, I was afraid, and I went and hid your talent in the ground. See, you have what is yours.’ But his master answered ‘Evil and lazy slave! So you knew that I harvest where I didn’t sow and gather where I didn’t scatter? Then you should have deposited my money with the bankers, and on my return I would have received my money back with interest!Therefore take the talent from him and give it to the one who has ten. For the one who has will be given more,30 and he will have more than enough. But the one who does not have, even what he has will be taken from him. And throw that worthless slave into the outer darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’
    (Matthew 25:14-30)

FROM THE SUTRAS:
    And the Teacher said:
    "Doing good deeds is like hoarding up treasures,"
    and he expounded this truth in a parable:
    "Three merchants set out on their travels, each with his capital;
    one of them gained much, the second returned with his capital,
    and the third one came home after having lost his capital.
    What is true in common life applies also to religion.
    "The capital is the state a man has reached, the gain is heaven;
    the loss of his capital means that a man will be born in a lower state,
    as a denizen of hell or as an animal.
    These are the courses that are upon to the sinner.
    "He who brings back his capital, is like unto one who is born again as a man.
    Those who through the exercise of various virtues become pious householders
    will be born again as men, for all beings will reap the fruit of their actions.
    But he who increases his capital is like unto one who practises eminent virtues.
    The virtuous, excellent man attains in heaven to the glorious state of the gods."

(From “The Gospel of the Buddha” – quite free translations and interpretations of texts from the Pali Canon by Paul Carus (1894) )

Love:

FROM THE BIBLE:
    If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but I do not have love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. And if I have prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith so that I can remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give away everything I own, and if I give over my body in order to boast,1 but do not have love, I receive no benefit. Love is patient, love is kind, it is not envious. Love does not brag, it is not puffed up. It is not rude, it is not self-serving, it is not easily angered or resentful. It is not glad about injustice, but rejoices in the truth. It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never ends. But if there are prophecies, they will be set aside; if there are tongues, they will cease; if there is knowledge, it will be set aside. For we know in part, and we prophesy in part, but when what is perfect comes, the partial will be set aside. When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. But when I became an adult, I set aside childish ways. For now we see in a mirror indirectly, but then we will see face to face. Now I know in part, but then I will know fully, just as I have been fully known. And now these three remain: faith, hope, and love. But the greatest of these is love.
    (1. Corinthians 13:1-13)

My commandment is this – to love one another just as I have loved you. No one has greater love than this – that one lays down his life for his friends. You are my friends if you do what I command you. I no longer call you slaves, because the slave does not understand what his master is doing. But I have called you friends, because I have revealed to you everything I heard from my Father. You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit, fruit that remains, so that whatever you ask the Father in my name he will give you. This I command you – to love one another..
    (John 15:12-17)

Now one of the experts in the law came and heard them debating. When he saw that Jesus60 answered them well, he asked him, “Which commandment is the most important of all?” Jesus answered, “The most important is: ‘Listen, Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one. Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.’ The second is: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.” The expert in the law said to him, “That is true, Teacher; you are right to say that he is one, and there is no one else besides him. And to love him with all your heart, with all your mind, and with all your strength and to love your neighbor as yourself is more important than all burnt offerings and sacrifices.” When Jesus saw that he had answered thoughtfully, he said to him, “You are not far from the kingdom of God.” Then no one dared any longer to question him.
    (Mark 12:28-34)

Dear friends, let us love one another, because love is from God, and everyone who loves has been fathered by God and knows God. The person who does not love does not know God, because God is love.
    (1.Joh 4:7-8)

FROM THE SUTRAS:
    Of all the ways you can think of, none has a sixteenth part of the value of loving-kindness. Loving-kindness is a freedom of the heart which takes in all the ways. It is luminous, shining, blazing forth.
    Just as the stars have not a sixteenth part of the moon’s brilliance, which absorbs them all in its shining light, so loving-kindness absorbs all the other ways with its lustrous splendour.
    Just as when the rainy season ends and the sun rises up into the clear and cloudless sky, banishing all the dark in its radiant light, and just as at the end of a black night the morning star shines out in glory, so none of the ways you can use to further your spiritual progress has a sixteenth part of the value of loving-kindness. For it absorbs them all, its luminosity shining forth.
    - Itivuttaka Sutta*

A mother, even at the risk of her own life, protects her child, her only child. In the same way should you cultivate love without measure toward all beings. You should cultivate toward the whole world – above, below, around – a heart of love unstinted, unmixed with any sense of differing or opposing interests. You should maintain this mindfulness all the time you are awake. Such a state of heart is the best in the world.
    - Majjhima Nikaya*

It is in this way we must train ourselves: by liberation of the self through love. We will develop love, we will practice it, we will make it both a way and a basis, take our stand upon it, store it up, and thoroughly set it going.
    - Samyutta Nikaya*

”Compassion is truth, and it is not a delusion. If someone asks, ‘What is the source of all good roots?’ the answer is ‘compassion’.(…)
    Those who do good are true thinkers, and true thought is compassion… Compassion is the Tathagata (Buddha). Good people, compassion is the bodhi way. The bodhi way is the Tathagata, and the Tathagata is compassion… Good people, compassion is the inconceivable realm of all buddhas, and the inconceivable realm of all buddhas is compassion. One who knows compassion is a Tathagata. Compassion is the Buddha nature of all sentient beings.”

(Buddha, in the Mahaparinirvana Sutra, quoted from “Describing the Indescribable: A Commentary on the Diamond Sutra” by Master Hsing Yun, translated by Tom Graham.)

---
    Tathagata: (literally, thus-come-one) One of the ten names of the Buddha.
    Bodhi: Awakening, enlightenment.

Part four:

Love your enemies:

FROM THE BIBLE:
    You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor’ and ‘hate your enemy.’ But I say to you, love your enemy and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be like your Father in heaven, since he causes the sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Even the tax collectors do the same, don’t they? And if you only greet your brothers, what more do you do? Even the Gentiles do the same, don’t they? So then, be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.
    (Matthew 5:43-48)

“But I say to you who are listening: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. To the person who strikes you on the cheek, offer the other as well, and from the person who takes away your coat, do not withhold your tunic either. Give to everyone who asks you, and do not ask for your possessions back from the person who takes them away. Treat others in the same way that you would want them to treat you. “If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners love those who love them. And if you do good to those who do good to you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners do the same. And if you lend to those from whom you hope to be repaid, what credit is that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners, so that they may be repaid in full. But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, because he is kind to ungrateful and evil people. Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful.
    (Luke 6:27-36)

FROM THE SUTRAS:
    When people speak badly of you, you should respond in this way: Keep a steady heart and don’t reply with harsh words. Practice letting go of resentment and accepting that others hostility is the spur to your understanding. Be kind, adopt a generous standpoint, treat you enemy as your friend, and suffuse all your world with affectionate thoughts, far-reaching and wide spread, limitless and free from hate. In this state you should try to remain.
    - Dhammapada*

“Never retaliate in kind,” the Buddha told his followers. “Hatred does not come to an end through hatred but can only cease through generosity.”
    - Jakata tale*

All tremble when there is a weapon,
    Everyone fears death;
    Feeling for others as for oneself,
    One should neither kill nor cause to kill.
    - Dhammapada*

Freedom from fear:

FROM THE BIBLE:
    There is no fear in love, but perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment.The one who fears punishment has not been perfected in love
    (1.John 4:18)

FROM THE SUTRAS:
    This itself is the whole of the journey, opening your heart to that which is lovely. Because of their feeling for the lovely, beings who are afraid of birth and death, aging and decaying, are freed from their fear. This is the way you must train yourself: I will become a friend and an intimate of the lovely. To do this I must closely observe and embrace all states of mind that are good.
    - Samyutta Nikaya*

Give, and it will be given to you,
    And: you will reap as you sow:

FROM THE BIBLE:
    Give, and it will be given to you: A good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be poured into your lap. For the measure you use will be the measure you receive.”
    (Luke 6:38)

My point is this: The person who sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and the person who sows generously will also reap generously. Each one of you should give just as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, because God loves a cheerful giver. And God is able to make all grace overflow to you so that because you have enough of everything in every way at all times, you will overflow in every good work. Just as it is written, “He has scattered widely, he has given to the poor; his righteousness remains forever.” Now God who provides seed for the sower and bread for food will provide and multiply your supply of seed and will cause the harvest of your righteousness to grow.
    (2. Corinthians 9:6-11)

FROM THE SUTRAS:
    A person who gives freely is loved by all. It’s hard to understand, but it is by giving that we gain strength. But there is a proper time and a proper way to give, and the person who understands this is strong and wise. By giving with a feeling of reverence for life, envy and anger are banished. A path to happiness is found. Like one who plants a sapling and in due course receives shade, flowers and fruits, so the results of giving bring joy. The way there is through continuous acts of kindness so that the heart is strengthened by compassion and giving.
    - Majjhima Nikaya*

Not sacrifices:

FROM THE BIBLE:
    At that time Jesus went through the grain fields on a Sabbath. His disciples were hungry, and they began to pick heads of wheat and eat them. But when the Pharisees saw this they said to him, “Look, your disciples are doing what is against the law to do on the Sabbath.” He said to them, “Haven’t you read what David did when he and his companions were hungry – how he entered the house of God and they ate5 the sacred bread, which was against the law for him or his companions to eat, but only for the priests? Or have you not read in the law that the priests in the temple desecrate the Sabbath and yet are not guilty? I tell you that something greater than the temple is here. If you had known what this means: ‘I want mercy and not sacrifice,’ you would not have condemned the innocent. For the Son of Man is lord of the Sabbath.” Then Jesus left that place and entered their synagogue. A man was there who had a withered hand. And they asked Jesus, “Is it lawful to heal on the Sabbath?” so that they could accuse him. He said to them, “Would not any one of you, if he had one sheep that fell into a pit on the Sabbath, take hold of it and lift it out? How much more valuable is a person than a sheep! So it is lawful to do good on the Sabbath.” Then he said to the man, “Stretch out your hand.” He stretched it out and it was restored, as healthy as the other.
    (Matthew 12:1-13)

For the blood of bulls and goats cannot take away sins. So when he came into the world, he said,“Sacrifice and offering you did not desire, but a body you prepared for me. “Whole burnt offerings and sin-offerings you took no delight in.
    (Hebrews 10:4-6)

And to love him with all your heart, with all your mind, and with all your strength and to love your neighbor as yourself is more important than all burnt offerings and sacrifices.”
    (Mark 12:33)

FROM THE SUTRAS:
    Kutadanta accused the Buddha: ”I am told that you teach the law of life and the way, yet you tear down religion. Your followers despise rituals and abandon sacrifices. The very nature of religion is that of worship and sacrifice.”
    The Buddha replied: “Greater than the massacring of bullocks is the sacrifice of self. He who offers up his evil desires will see the uselessness of slaughtering animals at the altar. Blood has no power to cleanse, but the giving up of harmful actions will make the heart whole. Better than worshiping gods is following the way of goodness.”
    - Digha Nikaya*

A brahman was making a ritual fire for worship. The Buddha said to him:
    “You should not imagine, brahman, that insight comes by merely laying sticks on a fire. You should trust to the truth that is within you to enrich your spiritual life and not to external rituals. Having departed from that way of doing things altogether, I kindle my fire within. Here the controlled tongue is the sacrificial spoon and the heart is the altar of the fire.”
    - Samyutta Nikaya*

Part five:

The kingdom of God is in your midst:

FROM THE BIBLE:
    Now at one point the Pharisees asked Jesus when the kingdom of God was coming, so he answered, “The kingdom of God is not coming with signs to be observed, nor will they say, ‘Look, here it is!’ or ‘There!’ For indeed, the kingdom of God is in your midst.”
    (Luke 17:20-21)

FROM THE SUTRAS:
    Kutadanta asked: “Where, O Buddha, is nirvana?”
    “Nirvana is wherever you live in truth and goodness.”
    - Majjhima Nikaya*

All those who clearly understand the fact that enlightenment is everywhere come to the perfect wisdom with a marvellous insight that all objects and structures, just as they are in the present moment, are themselves enlightenment, both the way and the goal, being perfectly transparent to the ineffable. Those who experience the ineffable, known as Suchness, recognises that all structures are radiantly empty of self-existence.
    Those who attain perfect wisdom are forever inspired by the conviction that the -infinitely varied forms of the world, in all their relativity, far from being a hindrance and a dangerous distraction to the spiritual path, are really a healing medicine. Why?
    Because by the very fact that they are interdependent on each other and therefore have no separate self, they express the mystery and the energy of all-embracing love.
    Not just the illumined wise ones but every single being in the interconnected world is a dweller in the boundless infinity of love.
    - Prajnaparamita**

Let tomorrow worry about itself – live in the present:

FROM THE BIBLE:
    So then, do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Today has enough trouble of its own.
    (Matthew 6:34)

FROM THE SUTRAS:
    While the Buddha was in the town of Shravasti, he called the monks to him and said, “I will teach you what is meant by knowing the best way to live independently.”
    “We are listening,” the monks told him.
    He said:

Do not go after the past,
    Nor lose yourself in the future.
    For the past no longer exists,
    And the future is not yet here.
    By looking deeply at things just as they are,
    In this moment, here and now,
    The seeker lives calmly and freely.
    You should be attentive today,
    For waiting until tomorrow is too late.
    Death can come and take us by surprise –
    How can we gainsay it?
    The one who knows
    How to live attentively
    Night and day
    Is the one who knows
    The best way to be independent.
    - Bhaddekaratta Sutra**

“The way toward liberation is to train yourself to live in the present without wanting to become anything. Give up becoming this or that, live without cravings, and experience this present moment with full attention. Then you will not cringe at death or seek repeated birth.”
    - Sutta Nipata *

“There is nothing you need hold on to and nothing you need push away. Live in the present but do not cling to it and then you can go from place to place in peace. There is a state of greed that enters and dominates the individual. But when that greed has gone, it is like poison leaving a body and death will have no more terror for you.”
    - Sutta Nipata*

Do not let your left hand know:

FROM THE BIBLE:
    “Be careful not to display your righteousness merely to be seen by people. Otherwise you have no reward with your Father in heaven. Thus whenever you do charitable giving, do not blow a trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in synagogues and on streets so that people will praise them. I tell you the truth, they have their reward. But when you do your giving, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your gift may be in secret. And your Father, who sees in secret, will reward you. “Whenever you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, because they love to pray while standing in synagogues and on street corners so that people can see them. Truly I say to you, they have their reward. But whenever you pray, go into your room, close the door, and pray to your Father in secret. And your Father, who sees in secret, will reward you.
    (Matt 6:1-6)

FROM THE SUTRAS:
    “Good people, if a person is like someone who plants a tree in order to obtain shade and coolness from it, and to obtain flowers fruits, and wood from it, then he is merely practicing simple generosity, and not the paramita (perfection) of generosity. A great bodhisattva who is practicing great nirvana does not see a giver, a gift, or a recipient of a gift. And he does not wait for an advantageous time, and he does not look for rewards, and he does not look to avoid rewards, and he does not see a cause in his act, or a condition, or a result. And he does not see a doer, or a receiver. And he does not notice whether the quantity is large or small, or the quality pure or impure. And he does not look down on the recipient, or himself, or on what is given. He does not see an observer, and he does not se a non-observer. And he does not record what he has done or to whom he has given. He resides wholly and only within the great universal dharma (truth) of nirvana. He practices generosity solely to help all sentient beings, and he practices generosity solely to help them overcome their defilements. When he practices generosity, he does not see a giver, a gift, or a recipient of a gift.”
    -Mahaparinirvana Sutra #

(Bodhisattva: - Literally, “one who enlightens sentient beings” - It means 1) anyone who is seeking buddhahood. 2) A highly realized being who stands at the edge of nirvana but remains in this world to help others achieve enlightenment.)

Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth:

FROM THE BIBLE:
    “Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
    (Mathewt 6: 19-21
    )

FRA SUTRAENE:
    ”A great bodhisattva knows that all material things can be taken away by kings, robbers, floods, or fires and thus he gives them away himself with great joy; this is the paramita (perfection) of generosity. If in giving, one expects some reward, then one is merely practicing simple generosity and not the paramita (perfection) of generosity. Only giving without any expectation of a reward can be called the paramita of generosity…”
    - Mahaparinirvana Sutra #

Good teachers:

FROM THE BIBLE:
    He also told them a parable: “Someone who is blind cannot lead another who is blind, can he? Won’t they both fall into a pit? A disciple is not greater than his teacher, but everyone when fully trained will be like his teacher.
    (Luke 6:39-40)

FROM THE SUTRAS:
    Before teaching others, you have to know what you are teaching thoroughly. So it’s very important for you yourself to practice continually. Without having yourself experienced what you are teaching, you cannot properly teach others. One who is sunk in the mud is unable to pull out another sunk in the mud.
    - Majjhima Nikaya*

+ From the Pali Canon, according to historians of religion written between hundred years after the death of the historical Buddha (Buddhas death in 483 B.C.E) and 100 B.C.E.
    * From the Pali Canon, written between hundred years after the death of the historical Buddha (Buddhas death in 483 B.C.E) and 100 B.C.E., quoted from “The Pocket Buddha Reader”, ed. Anne Bancroft
    ** Quoted from “The Pocket Buddha Reader”, ed. Anne Bancroft
    # Quotes found in “Describing the Indescribable: A Commentary on the Diamond Sutra” by master Hsing Yun, translated by Tom Graham.

---
    (The complete version of the Buddhist parable of “The Prodigal Son”:
    http://www.comparativereligion.com/prodigal.html )

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Very interesting question. I believe that Jesus spent a lot of time in Kashmir where he learned a lot of what he later repeated in his final years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

Holy Mary Mother of God Maitri!

Did you put all this together yourself? A lot of great homework here. Well done sir!

thanks again, I'll have to print it out, D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Excellent post there maitri.
    You made an interesting point there asiaprod about jesus spending time in Kashmir and possibly been influenced by buddhist though (am I correct ?). Got any links to info this ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

Very interesting post. It looks like he probably did spend some time in india or at the very least had some access to Buddhist texts or teacher.
    I remember Excelsior and Asiaprod having a great big chat about this awhile ago.

I think It's great things like this are discoverd, especiallly in this day and age. It broadens horizons. It certaily broadens mine. With the level of mistrust going around It's badly needed. It raises the question though, was this information suppressed or did Jesus specifically instruct his disciples not to make mention of this?
    I would tend to think Jesus told his disciples to keep his history quiet.
    But like I said with the general level of "rows" and mistrust going around I think it's a good thing.

Excellent post there maitri.
    You made an interesting point there asiaprod about jesus spending time in Kashmir and possibly been influenced by buddhist though (am I correct ?). Got any links to info this ?

Oh yes. Start here http://www.tombofjesus.com/home.htm, then go to Historical Sources. Then indeed lets talk again.
    Interestingly, the very first post I made on Boards i.e was in answer to this question. It was a wonderful debate with Excelsior, a cherished moment.:)

Hi! :)

bus77 wrote:
    I think It's great things like this are discovered, especially in this day and age. It broadens horizons. It certainly broadens mine. With the level of mistrust going around It's badly needed. .

Yes, I think it is good to focus on what unite the religions and religious philosophies and not only quarrel about the differences. It’s good to have a base of common understanding.

Did you put all this together yourself? A lot of great homework here. Well done sir!

Thanks! :D
    It took me more than two whole days to put it together, but since I am a big nerd, I enjoyed every minute of it.

(Actually I found a lot of teachings that were more or less similar/equivalent to some of the teachings of the Koran (Qu’ran) as well. In this case I don’t believe the similarities exist because of any direct influence (from Buddhist teachings), but they are still very interesting. I wonder if I’ll be able to resist the nerd-temptation of using too much time putting those together as well… Probably not… )

Interesting link, Asia. Thanks! But it seems to be speaking mostly of the possibility of Jesus being in India after the crucifixion, and not before. Though, under “Literature” I did find references to some books that claimed that Jesus spent his “lost years” (the years before he started teaching) in India, and as I understood it, that assumption was based partly on some old Buddhist myths. (I am really getting curious about that debate with Excelsior, I seem to have missed it - it probably was before my time.)

• Advertisement

maitri wrote:
    Interesting link, Asia. Thanks! But it seems to be speaking mostly of the possibility of Jesus being in India after the crucifixion, and not before. Though, under “Literature” I did find references to some books that claimed that Jesus spent his “lost years” (the years before he started teaching) in India, and as I understood it, that assumption was based partly on some old Buddhist myths. (I am really getting curious about that debate with Excelsior, I seem to have missed it - it probably was before my time.)
    Do a search, you will find it. I will look too.
    Re the story. It starts with Jesus spending the missing years from 12? to 30 traveling through india. He goes back to Israel and manages to survive the crucifixion and returns back to India to live out his days. It was a great debate with Excelsior and of course we agreed to disagree, but I think we both gained something in the process. One of the issues we talked about was a reference from the Sayings Gospel of Thomas that has Jesus stating that he watched his own crucifixion. That it was not him, but someone else. Another story is that techniques he learned in India enabled him to fake death which was why there was no body (think of the sponge he was offered on the cross, and what was actually on that sponge). Crucifixion was a slow and painful death. In general it took a lot more than 3 hours to die on a cross. Even Pontius Pilot was surprised that he died so quickly. There are so many stories, but for me it is what was written down by the various Lamas that count. They have no reason to tell lies, they gain nothing from it. The person you should be researching is the life of Saint Issa (as Jesus was known as) and the various Christian groups that still live in Kashmir. Also the Christian sects that arouse around John the Baptist and the real relationship that surrounded Jesus and John.

Hi :)
    Asiaprod wrote:
    Do a search, you will find it. I will look too.
    For some strange reason I am not allowed to search for posts on boards.ie. Grrr! :mad:

But I will search for (google) Saint Issa and see what I can find. :)
    Asiaprod wrote:
    One of the issues we talked about was a reference from the Sayings Gospel of Thomas that has Jesus stating that he watched his own crucifixion. That it was not him, but someone else. Another story is that techniques he learned in India enabled him to fake death which was why there was no body (think of the sponge he was offered on the cross, and what was actually on that sponge). Crucifixion was a slow and painful death. In general it took a lot more than 3 hours to die on a cross. Even Pontius Pilot was surprised that he died so quickly.

It is impossible to know exactly what happened. I respect that Christians believe what they believe. Since I am not Christian I personally tend to see the story of Christ's death and resurrection more as a symbolic way of telling us (in the language of deep and meaningful symbols) about willingness to die to save other people, love that is strong enough to conquer death, that there might be new life after total breakdown, that "letting go" (not grasping) of the world might mean gaining it, and that spring comes after every winter.:)
    Asiaprod wrote:
    There are so many stories, but for me it is what was written down by the various Lamas that count. They have no reason to tell lies, they gain nothing from it. The person you should be researching is the life of Saint Issa (as Jesus was known as.

Word against word, then...;) But I will certainly look up Saint Issa.

M.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭UU

Oh very well done OP! It really shows hoe although different relgions seem very different at times, they actually have many similarities. They're sort of like different roads that lead to the same destination. Again, great work!!! :D You deserve a round of applause. *clap *clap *clap :)

Now, about Jesus and the Buddha. I feel that the reason why there are so many similarities between both Christianity and Buddhism, may not be due to Jesus' travels in India (it could be though) but moreso because Jesus and the Buddha both shared one powerful thing in common. That is, enlightenment. Yes, I firmly believe that Jesus also discovered enlightenmnet in his life which gives the whole essence of his "God-like nature" a more believable fashion. You see, in the state of pure enlightenment, one is very different. There is less need for the mind as the enlightened person has gone past the level of thought. They are in a state of pure, absolute consiousness. It makes sense therefor how Jesus shares many similarities to the Buddha. If you wish to study the whole nature of what enlightenment is all about, there are many great reads out there. May i suggest "The Power Of Now" by Eckhart Tolle. I found that brilliant and I'm using many of the practises he describes in his book which is slowing having a changing affect on my life.

Anyway, I should stop rambling like I usually do.

Good Luck! ;)

Thanks for the good words! *blush*

Actually your viewpoint is not very far from that of my very catholic mother on this topic. She also thinks that the reason that there are these similarities between the teachings of Jesus and the Buddha is that they stem from the same Source.

(Actually she has started to call Buddha - a bit jokingly, though, I think - a Church Father, and she even made up some fancy Greek title for him. ;) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭Medina

Maitri I would love to see your comparison between Christianity and Islam on the Islamic forum

please please please please please please please please please

maitri wrote:
    Thanks for the good words! *blush*

Actually your viewpoint is not very far from that of my very catholic mother on this topic. She also thinks that the reason that there are these similarities between the teachings of Jesus and the Buddha is that they stem from the same Source.

(Actually she has started to call Buddha - a bit jokingly, though, I think - a Church Father, and she even made up some fancy Greek title for him. ;) )
    Haha. Funny. Well you see I've been reading "The Power Of Now" recently and have become quite interested in this area. In the book, Eckhart says that evrying comes from a Oneness, The Source called the Unmanisfested, in which all physical things - The Manifested - derive from. This one true sourse is called Being or God. By surrendering the Now, by being fully spiritually consious, by finding your "God-Essence" or "Christ" and thus gaining Enlightenement. It isn't that I don't view Jesus as being only God but in fact we are all a part of the One Source. Sounds confusing, sorry!

Anyway, because both the Buddha and Jesus experienced enlightenement during their lifetimes and that is why many people to this day have brought various beliefs and moral rules but all in all, they are all very similiar. That is why I firmly disagree with the whole "Oh only Christians, Jews, Muslims, etc. go to heaven and those don't". I think all lead to the same source. that is, Enlightenment!

Medina wrote:
    Maitri I would love to see your comparison between Christianity and Islam on the Islamic forum

please please please please please please please please please

Oh, you are really trying to give me a huge amount of homework here... to help me stay away from mischief, I am sure ;) But, you see. I don't really think I am the right person to do that. But if you're interested, why don't you start a thread on that topic? :) (My advice then would be to start with asking about the similarities first and see what you can work out together.) Also, if you read the Koran I am sure you will recognise a lot of the stories (and beliefs) that you know from your Bible.
    UU wrote:
    Haha. Funny. Well you see I've been reading "The Power Of Now" recently and have become quite interested in this area. In the book, Eckhart says that everything comes from a Oneness, The Source called the Unmanifested, in which all physical things - The Manifested - derive from. This one true source is called Being or God. By surrendering the Now, by being fully spiritually conscious, by finding your "God-Essence" or "Christ" and thus gaining Enlightenment. It isn't that I don't view Jesus as being only God but in fact we are all a part of the One Source. Sounds confusing, sorry!

Anyway, because both the Buddha and Jesus experienced enlightenment during their lifetimes and that is why many people to this day have brought various beliefs and moral rules but all in all, they are all very similar. That is why I firmly disagree with the whole "Oh only Christians, Jews, Muslims, etc. go to heaven and those don't". I think all lead to the same source. that is, Enlightenment!

I don't think it sounds confusing at all. :)
    Setting aside for a moment the question of direct influence between the religions (which I personally must say I find very probable, though, since ideas usually never suddenly arise in a vacuum, anyway, and it’s nothing wrong with that), it would be interesting to hear what other people here think about these ideas (about One Source, I mean. By the way, my atheist friends would believe the "one source" to be the human mind...).

Regards,

Maitri

UU wrote:
    Well you see I've been reading "The Power Of Now" recently and have become quite interested in this area.

Hmmm, maybe I should take a look at that book one of these days. I have friends who really like it. By the way, have you ever read any of the books of Byron Katie? My friends who like E.T. (Tolle) usually like her books, too. :)

Another question: What is Unitarianism? You are a Unitarian, aren't you?

maitri wrote:
    Hmmm, maybe I should take a look at that book one of these days. I have friends who really like it. By the way, have you ever read any of the books of Byron Katie? My friends who like E.T. (Tolle) usually like her books, too. :)

Another question: What is Unitarianism? You are a Unitarian, aren't you?
    Hmm...I'll take a look at Byron Katie sometime. Thanks.

Yes. I am Unitarian. Well, in brief. Unitarianism is a non-dogmatic religion. That is, unlike Christianity or Islam where one must follow nset rules and beliefs, etc. (i.e. a dogma), in Unitarianism, one is free to think for themselves in a highly rational way as to what they choose to believe in. We embrace different cultures, races, genders, sexual orientations. Also, it's a higly democratic religion as the congregation hold equal power. In the church I attend in Dublin, the minister isn't in charge, we hire him. If you want to learn more about Unitarianism, Wikipedia have a great page about it. Actually the full name for Unitarianism is Unitarian Universalism (UU). Here: UU, Unitarianism.

Thanks! That was interesting reading. You have a common ethic, but don't necessarily share meta-physical beliefs, as I understand it. UU can be seen as a kind of humanism, then, that is more open to spiritual experiences and beliefs than secular humanism?

• Advertisement
Advertisement