Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC launch Digital TV in Wexford and hint at more enhacements

Options
  • 19-07-2006 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭

I don't believe it's been mentioned here on boards that UPC Ireland are launch a 50 Channel Digital Service in Wexford. In addition, they also plan
    to introduce more advanced digital television services such as Digital Video Recorder (DVR), High Definition Television (HDTV) and interactive services shortly.

http://www.enn.ie/news.html?code=9739461

What I would like to know is (1) If the new service will be branded as UPC (2) Will the EPG reflect this branding (3) What equipment will be provided and (4) if the new services such as DVR will be rolled out to old NTL and Chorus networks.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I would imagine, for now that this is Chorus Digital, but I could be wrong on that front.

A fifty channel service would be a downgrade for NTL Ireland viewers, though with the pervailance of Chorus it seems in the new operation (no merger is ever really a merger of equals, it is usually one side that ends up in charge) I'm increasingly fearful that is what we'll get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

I don't believe it's been mentioned here on boards that UPC Ireland are launch a 50 Channel Digital Service in Wexford. In addition, they also plan
    to introduce more advanced digital television services such as Digital Video Recorder (DVR), High Definition Television (HDTV) and interactive services shortly.

http://www.enn.ie/news.html?code=9739461

What I would like to know is (1) If the new service will be branded as UPC (2) Will the EPG reflect this branding (3) What equipment will be provided and (4) if the new services such as DVR will be rolled out to old NTL and Chorus networks.
    UPC Ireland own chorus who in turn bought ntl, so what does this tell you?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

They won't rebrand till the two networks reach a certain level of "fixed".

Any pay operater that doesn't biring in PVRs HDTV etc is doomed in long run, so the only isse is when anyone will see these on the Irish cable networks.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭andrea

UPC Ireland own chorus who in turn bought ntl, so what does this tell you?

Actually UPC bought chorus exactly a year before they bought ntl, so things are more equal than you might think.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I presume that this is over MMDS, otherwise the cable quality in Wexford must be shocking if they can fit only 50 channels on to it.

I don't see this being much competition to Sky.

As for the PVR's a while back they announced that they were going to roll out a HD three tuner PVR across their networks, starting with the Netherlands, but I wouldn't hold my breadth for Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Quick question. Does Chorus have Eurosport?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

yes

as for Eurosport 2 i couldnt answer you

I suppose you know where I'm coming from then... :)

I wonder will NTL get it back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

they should. it is an excellent sports channel. they should also try and get Eurosport 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

That will be interesting, one presumes that if Eurosport don't have a problem with Chorus then they don't have problem with UPC style NTL

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

mike65 wrote:
    That will be interesting, one presumes that if Eurosport don't have a problem with Chorus then they don't have problem with UPC style NTL

Mike.

Was NTL Ireland who had a problem with Eurosport, not vice-versa. NTL could have got Eurosport back any time they wanted to if they payed the price asked for it.

Indeed.

But now that UPC have taken over both companies, perhaps they'll see the light and agree a price. That's where I was coming from.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Well I believe the original problem was that NTL wanted to put Eurosport on Digital only, Eurosport wanted to be carried on analogue as well as digital.

Now that Setanta is on analogue there is very little chance that Eurosport will return to analogue, however by now maybe they have gotten over the digital thing and will agree to return to digital. It would certainly make NTL digital much more attractive to analogue customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭ladder

Do UPC provide phone and internet service in wexford as well now or is it just TV ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

OMG - I was getting excited there, are UPC actually going to make improvements, but this is from 5 years ago and we are no better.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

ladder wrote: »
    Do UPC provide phone and internet service in wexford as well now or is it just TV ?

Maybe-just maybe in about 5 or 6 years time,they have no plans to do it sooner if at all.Enniscorthy is on analogue cable with roughly 14 channels and UPC have no plans to upgrade it any time soon.I asked this question in the broadband forum and the answer was 2015 at the earliest.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

We don't drag up old threads!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement