Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Admin Notice] Ban Appeal

Options
  • 14-07-2006 3:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭

I've been banned from the TCD forum by Nietzschean.

I realised I was banned while on IRC, specifically on #tcd.ie on QuakeNet. Here is the conversation with Nietzschean, copied and pasted in full. The bold bits are the interaction between me and him.

<shay> link?
    <angryb> same one as above
    <shay> ooh, harsh. I'm impressed.
    * hils shakes head at shay
    <angryb> ian, would you like to unban me now?
    <Nietzschean> no
    <Nietzschean> you can keep grimes company

<hils> angrb:why did i decide you were nice?
    <hils> was it cos of the threats?
    <angryb> because i was nice
    <angryb> and bought you some weird drink
    <hils> ah yeah
    <hils> ok
    <angryb> yeah you can unban me now ian, quit being an arse
    <shay> hils: I can be impressed by meanness when it's being directed towards a twat like Grimes. Enda's using his powers for good instead of evil, so we should rewards him for that
    <Nietzschean> like i said, no
    <hils> lol
    * angryb sighs
    <angryb> why was i banned this time?
    <Nietzschean> lol

<shay> do we really need a reason?
    <Nietzschean> i dunno i was pissed and felt like it?
    <Nietzschean> lol
    <Nietzschean> good look complaining
    <Nietzschean> look = luck
    <angryb> how long is this one for?
    <Nietzschean> till when i sober up :)

* hils is now known as Awayindahils
    <Nietzschean> o that and when i remember, i might not remember any of this tomorrow
    <angryb> right, i'm asking you to unban me now. i know you're drunk but i can walk you through it if you want.

* crash_000 has joined #tcd.ie
    * L sets mode: +o crash_000
    <Nietzschean> angryb: **** off, or i'll make it perm
    * Awayindahils is now known as hils
    <shay> hils: well, that was necessary
    <Nietzschean> Heylo crash_000 :)
    <crash_000> dkd
    <crash_000> did i walk in on a fight?
    <shay> evenin neil. or more accurately, mornin
    <crash_000> hwy
    <crash_000> hey folks
    <hils> well see there was no one talking when i went to watch veronica mars
    <Nietzschean> i banned enda off the board
    <hils> hey neil
    <Nietzschean> expect a feedback thread shortly
    <shay> i called him a prick a bunch of times
    <shay> but i don't think he cared
    <crash_000> blah, really not in the mood, so SOoOOooooo not getting involved in that Ian :P
    <Nietzschean> crash_000: good stuff, i'm half cut, so well i'm not unbanning him
    <Nietzschean> crash_000: was in the bank there, my god one of the waitresses there is some freaking hot
    <Nietzschean> and the girl sitting to my right was NYOM also
    <crash_000> havent been in the bank in ages
    <Nietzschean> it was worth paying the extra for the expensive pints for the scenery!
    <shay> nyom?
    <angryb> not your ordinary muck
    <shay> ah. classy.

There're some really glaring lines in there. Firstly, he has the tenacity to state that he banned me because "he felt like it". Secondly, the insanely obnoxious "good luck complaining". Ian thinks this feedback thread will do nothing. As I'll show in a minute he even relishes the thought of having a Feedback thread made about him because he knows nothing will be done about it.

Finally, he threatens to make the ban permanent. Now I wasn't rude to him; I wasn't insulting; I wasn't Fight Teh Powa. I asked him nicely "ian, would you like to unban me now?". I get frustrated and ask him again, but I'm still not abusive. After this point I know it's going to end up in Feedback so instead of him having any defence I give him no choice but to bluntly refuse: "right, i'm asking you to unban me now. i know you're drunk but i can walk you through it if you want."* Could I have done any more?

I did absolutely nothing against the rules. In fact in the past I've gone out ofm y way to avoid hassle with him: I decided to not report a post of his that called me an "annoying shite." (See below). This was pure and definitely personal abuse that warranted a ban, surely? I've had such crap with him before I decided to let it go.

Ian has banned me before. Just before Christmas, I got a two-week ban for jokingly slagging Ronny Mitchell - "personal abuse". Now I get on with Ronny, he's lent me his floor when I missed the last Nitelink and it was blatantly clear it wasn't serious personal abuse. After another mod of the board intervened the next day on my behalf the ban was cut short with immediate effect so long as I apologised to the "injured party". Ronny was so awfully aggrieved about the whole thing he even slagged me about getting banned afterwards the next week in the pub. I don't think anyone else would have been banned for the exact same comment.

Ian, I'm sure, will contend that he was drunk and it was just a joke. I don't accept that for a second. In May, this happened on the forum (very slightly edited, irrelevant stuff taken out):
    Tell me about it... that forum is going to go to hell with him as mod. He's probably not even going to be in UCD next year. I would have put irlrobins up as mod.. but there's no accounting for opinions!
    lol, just have a big feedback thread, AngryBanana used to do them about me, they are entertainment for everyone ;)
    lol, just have a big feedback thread, AngryBanana used to do them about me, they are entertainment for everyone ;)
    Ian, your ego or something is effecting your memory. I did not "used" to have feedback threads about you. I have never made a feedback thread about you.

I have only ever made one thread on Feedback. Thi was entitled "Blip on the radar...", about a database error. Unless you caused that error, I've never made a thread about you. I've posted one post complaining about your modding on Feedback and that was already complaining about your modding.
    Nietzschen wrote:
    you. I've posted one post complaining about your modding on Feedback and that was already complaining about your modding.
    Who made it then? i always assumed it was you....

...and for the record no, you've always been an annoying ****e and you always will be.
    This was totally unprovoked. He just has it in for me.

This is what the guy posted immediately after he banned me.

Now he had drink on him, but this isn't him being drunk. He's clearly been at me for months and frankly it's not f*cking on. I can take him (trying to) slag me and all that, but banning me is just abuse and stupid.

*(I know how banning/unbanning works because crash_000 was doing some modding while sitting beside me in a computer room in College and he showed me how it works and as well as that my brother modded Christianity for years.)

P.S. Just in case anyone raises it, I have absolutely no problem with crash_000 not getting involved, I fully understand that given what's on his plate at the moment and have told him as much.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

i'm not taking sides on this, even tho Nietzschean banned me for a week for no reason, for the craic.

joe

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

I'm confused. Who is Ronny Mitchell?

Ronny Mitchell

poster on the trinity forum, used to live on campus and basicly offered a free couch to trinity boardsies to sleep on. top bloke

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

He's a poster on boards.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

A feedback thread in the complete right, how very rare.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

I've read the entire thread from start to finish twice and I still can't see any reason to ban Ronny Mitchell.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

ecksor wrote:
    I've read the entire thread from start to finish twice and I still can't see any reason to ban Ronny Mitchell.
    Hah, dude, he's complaining about the modding.
    The guy appears to ban people for 'the craic'.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

I think you've picked me up wrong completely. Don't ban Ronny :). I slagged him (on Boards) at Christmas, and I was banned for it

The Ronny incident has nothing do with this, really. It's just background, making my point that (imo) this isn't just a bit of a laugh by a drunk mod. I wouldn't mind that much like.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

I dont see any reason to site ban ronny?

• Advertisement

jokehead.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Nietzschean sounds like a cock tbh and he'd do well to change his attitude quickly.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Nietzschean> i dunno i was pissed and felt like it?
    <Nietzschean> lol
    <Nietzschean> good look complaining
    <Nietzschean> look = luck
    <angryb> how long is this one for?
    <Nietzschean> till when i sober up

If the above is the actual reason for banning AB, it's an absolute disgrace and I think an Admin should have a serious talk with Nietzschean.
    It's this kind of behaviour that gives the rest of the Mods a bad name.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

At the moment i'm rather hung over as i've just woken up....so the highlights
    1) Was drunk
    2) Banned angryb, shouldn't have
    3) Was only actually banned for a short period, though i didn't tell him he was unbanned
    4)...i'll actually read this thread later......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

The follow is an explanation of what happened(not an excuse).
    <-- some irc logs.... -->
    You left out the part that the preceeding page was a discussion of angryb being obnoxious, while i don't think it justifies it(it doesn't) , i ain't justifying what i did cause well it wasn't right.
    There're some really glaring lines in there. Firstly, he has the tenacity to state that he banned me because "he felt like it".
    Actually i really only intended to ban you for less than 5mins hence, that.
    Secondly, the insanely obnoxious "good luck complaining".
    Back to being intoxicated, more a reference to a previous event, i'm well aware the cmod/smod/admin system is very effective on here.
    Finally, he threatens to make the ban permanent.
    ab wrote:
    <angryb> right, i'm asking you to unban me now. i know you're drunk but i can walk you through it if you want.
    this was in reference to that, which in my drunken state i found extreemly patronising and hence the ban lasted slightly over the 10mins, but not a huge ammount longer

As for the rest of it, well he did insult ronny, and the other mods did agree that it was an insult in the thread, at the time i didn't have time to re-read everything for hidden meaning, so personal insult week ban done and done. He protested, and made an apology to ronny which ronny accepted, and in any circumstance if the victim of an abuse is fine with an apology regardless of who makes it i've usually no problem lifting the ban as its a nicer way to deal with it.

for the record yes i dislike Enda/AB, but obviously banning him was way out of line.
    AB wrote:
    I can take him (trying to) slag me and all that, but banning me is just abuse and stupid.
    For that i apologise, it is abuse.
    Beruthiel wrote:
    If the above is the actual reason for banning AB, it's an absolute disgrace and I think an Admin should have a serious talk with Nietzschean.
    It's this kind of behaviour that gives the rest of the Mods a bad name.
    I don't disagree, given it wasn't me i'd post here in support of angryb myself(i really sort of am, i do agree with his position mostly).

In summing:
    1) Did bad.
    2) Am Sorry.
    3) Enda I apologise.

as for removing whatever mod crap i don't mind, really do deserve it with that sort of carry on, don't spend as much time here as i used to anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

students these days....

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

students these days....

Couldn't agree more.
    Back in my day, all we did was study, and then study some more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Off with her pants!

[Edit] Actual contribution: What you did neit was well out of line and if you cant control your dislike of people while drunk then modding is not for you.[/Edit]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

As Asok said... (the second bit)

Seems we have a resolution so before the bandwagon starts.. thread closed.

V.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Yellow card.

*wags finger*

If you hadn't come here and posted that you understood why this is unacceptible, you'd be gone.

DeV.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement