Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protective Notice

Options
  • 10-07-2006 3:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know what Protective notice is? Can't find anything online about it. Any info would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Seems to be connected with being sacked. Dunno why. Think its like a few weeks notice, than you'll be sacked, but its not a few weeks, it could be any time.

Seems to be given if the company's future prospects looks unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Afaik, "protective notice" is notice that your job may be terminated after the notice period has expired, though it may not.

I always thought that the "protective" part referred to protecting the company against legislation for failing to give adequate notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

Before I got redundancy from work, we were all given protective notice and then formally put on notice of redundancy when they realised redundancies would have to be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,954 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

It is sometimes used as a bargaining tool by companies in an industrial dispute situation. For example, a company may wish to introduce new work practises to remain competitive. There may be resistance from employees/trade unions who are naturally opposed to doing more work or increased productivity for the same or sometimes even less pay. The company feels that it cannot remain viable under existing arrangements and announces that they are putting staff on protective notice, i.e. we will close unless some progress is made. Sometimes this puts the frighteners on employees and a settlement is reached.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 my little pony

Bond-007 wrote:
    Does anyone know what Protective notice is? Can't find anything online about it. Any info would be appreciated.

Protective notice can mean that the company is in trouble and it is there way of warning people that they may lose there jobs overnight or it can be a way of losing unwanted staff
    I know a guy who used this to get rid of some of the workers that he didn't want the hassle of firing. When people hear a company is in trouble and especially when they are put on protective notice the first thing they do is start looking for a new job.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Thanks for the info. I take it the term has no legal effect.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

What Seamus said ---->

seamus wrote:
    Afaik, "protective notice" is notice that your job may be terminated after the notice period has expired, though it may not.

I always thought that the "protective" part referred to protecting the company against legislation for failing to give adequate notice.

Some companies use it to improve productivity too, not really fair though

Advertisement