Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viewing exam Scripts

Options
  • 05-07-2006 9:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭

Do you have a right to view your exam script, and if so what type of time scale applies. I've viewed scripts in the past, but for whatever reason two of my lecturers this year, seem not to be interested in replying to my emails.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

ask about it in your departmental office, the lecturers in question might just be away

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

your best off to do these things in person if possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Endymion

I had difficulty in that regard. Doesn't seem to exist anymore due to aram. But I will email the faculty secretary

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Another point of contact should be through your tutor.

Also there will only be grounds for appeal in the following circumstances:
    i) If there was bias shown on the part of the examiner;
    ii) If there was an error in the calculation of the mark by the examiner; or
    iii) If there was something on the exam which wasn't covered in class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Endymion

xebec wrote:

Are you sure about that last one. There where plenty of topics covered in "extra" end of term lectures, due to one fo my lectures being a dip****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

erm. ignore aram excuses. seriously, put pressure on them, especially if you won;t have em again. and then pass it on to the tutor's office if tutors not being good.

xebec wrote:

Yes, as long as the appeal is for a re-check/re-mark.
    Re-check/re-mark of examination scripts
    (i) Having received information about their results and having discussed these and their performance with the director of teaching and learning (undergraduate) or the head of department and/or the appropriate staff, students may ask that their results be reconsidered if they have reason to believe:

(a) that the grade is incorrect because of an error in calculation of results;
    (b) that the examination paper specific to the student’s course contained questions on
    subjects which were not part of the course prescribed for the examination; or
    (c) that bias was shown by an examiner in marking the script.

(ii) In the case of (a) above, the request should be made through the student’s tutor to the director of teaching and learning (undergraduate) or the head of department or course coordinator as appropriate.4

(iii) In the case of (b) and/or (c) above, the request should be made through the student’s tutor to the Senior Lecturer. In submitting such a case for reconsideration of results, students should state under which of (b) and/or (c) the request is being made.

(iv) Once an examination result has been published it cannot be amended without the permission of the Senior Lecturer.

You can appeal on ad misericordiam - i.e. if there is any extenuating circumstances such as death, fire, financial problems, personal issues, mental health issues, etc.

However, most appeals change circumstances, but not the mark.

If anyone needs any more advice, drop me an e-mail (education@tcdsu.org)
    CC wrote:
    Access to scripts and discussion of performance

(i) All students have a right to discuss their examination and assessment performance with the appropriate members of staff as arranged for by the director of teaching and learning (undergraduate) or the head of department as appropriate. This right is basic to the educational process.

(ii) Students are entitled to view their scripts when discussing their examinations and assessment performance.

(iii) Students’ examination performance cannot be discussed with them until after the publication of the examination results.

(iv) To obtain access to the breakdown of their results students should make a request to their director of teaching and learning (undergraduate) or the head of department or course coordinator.

http://www.tcd.ie/assets/documents/calendar/part1_general_regulations_and_information.pdf (page 8)

Advertisement