Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tied Shoes thrown over ESB wires

Options
  • 01-07-2006 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Folks,

In Swords, as I understand, the whole "throwing a pair of shoes onto the ESB wires" thing is a kind of turf-marking for some drug dealer.... kind of like the two graffiti-painting gangs that are competing for wall-space around the town, marking their turf.

Anyone know anything about this? Is this just a Swords thing or is everywhere that I see a pair of shoes thrown into the esb wires likely to be a dealers patch?

It's a mistery.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

it means the same here in cork afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

It does.

I have them removed wherever I find them, just to piss off the scobes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Jaysis how naieve am I, I thought it was kids having a laugh LMFAO.

I should probably stay indoors for good now, being that naieve. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 24,973 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

There used to be a pair thrown over electrical cables in Portrane. I recall someone saying something similiar re: drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

First i have ever heard of it,I'm from town and there is a few around here but maybe i'm just naieve!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭PrettyInPunk

i thought it was done by someone other than the dealer to warn people?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

TheGooner wrote:
    Jaysis how naieve am I, I thought it was kids having a laugh LMFAO.

I should probably stay indoors for good now, being that naieve. :(

It is done by some kids having a laugh. Either that or there's a new breed of very young dealers in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

grimloch wrote:
    It is done by some kids having a laugh. Either that or there's a new breed of very young dealers in town.

Pheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeww!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Thats a fairly international phenomenon afaik. I've seen it in two cities in South Africa and in America I've often seen it on telly.. actually if you ever watch Training Day you'll see it all over the place. Its basically - drugs available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

hmmmm... didn't know about that...

How does one avail of these drugs? Ask the shoes?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭dmck2886

Its basicly a drugs for sale sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

DaveMcG wrote:

If you hang around near the shoes for a while you should be approached.

It could all just be an urban myth though.... does anyone here avail of the shoe service?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

yeah ive seen them alot around where i live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

Monkeyfudge's more or less spot on. Uh, so I've heard.
    Although nowadays there's such a thing as a phone...

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

Love to be a fly on the wall for whoever thinks up these ideas. In New York in the seventies it meant heroin available. There is a pair hanging outside my office window and it is just seems like a waste of a good pair of shoes as there is about ten lads sitting there banging up in full view every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

DaveMcG wrote:

LOL..

It could be a new form of initiation test for drug gangs.. a nube would have to sneak off to another gang's territory and steal a pair of shoes from afore mentioned ESB wires. Not only would the nube be risking death by electocution, falling from a height, having 'a cap popped in his ass', but he would also have to wear the shoes for a full week - WITHOUT LACES!

Scary stuff :o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Theres a few of them around where I live, its just youngfellows messing:rolleyes: I don't think its drugdealers at all:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Maybe its a shoe shining service or something? I saw a pair a few miles from where I live but they have since been removed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭abetarrush

Femmy wrote:
    it means the same here in cork afaik.
    what's AFAIK....

Ok, i jus figured it out der :P

I always tot people just nick peoples shoes and throw em up der for the craic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭Doomspell

I have seen one or to around cork but I went to Bristol recently and we went to the park,for a walk. There was a huge tree and ESB wires going around it, sure thats fine nothing out of the ordinary but on every single branch there was a pair of shoes,tied by there laces. They were all over the wires too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭Doomspell

abetarrush wrote:
    what's AFAIK....

Ok, i jus figured it out der :P

Wait!! What does it mean:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

dmck2886 wrote:
    Its basicly a drugs for sale sign.

And do they take them down when they have none left? :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,163 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It was clackers in my day...oh the good old days...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭abetarrush

Doomspell wrote:
    Wait!! What does it mean:confused:
    As Far As I Know, afaik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

It can be either turf marking or a sign that someone was murdered there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Maybe it means that now, but im pretty sure back in the day when we used to throw fat daras shows up on the wires for the laugh noone ever approached me trying to buy drugs of any kind (apart from maybe a few blackjacks)

Unless of course my 6 year old neighbour was the 1970's biggest drug kingpin. HOW did i miss this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

spurious wrote:
    It was clackers in my day...oh the good old days...

Oh crap. Mine too:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭ThrownAway

There's been a pair hung over a wire about a mile from where I live on a main street for two years now :rolleyes: You'd think someone would take them down.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Drugs I'm afriad, although I'm sure there are quite a few out there that was just some kids messing. I work in some bad areas with a lot of drugs problems, this is common knowledge there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I've never noticed shoes on wires before but I'll keep an eye on the skies. Although most people source drugs through word of mouth, afaiksies.

Also, how do they get the shoes up there - would be tricky enough, no? And do they buy cheap lidl shoes or such to throw up specially or do they just use a worn pair belonging to one of the gang?

It all seems very odd!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement