Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Politics in TCD

Options
  • 21-06-2006 9:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭

Next year, I hope to start studying politics as a mature student.

What would be the difference in studying politics in Trinity as opposed to NUIG? (apart from the fact there in different cities!)

Also, what is the criteria you must meet to apply as a mature student and what costs are involved?

One last thing, Is it possible to combine politics with any other subjects such as business?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

I studied Politics in Trinity. I can't really give you any comparison to NUIG as I don't know much about their course. The most obvious difference is that Trinity is 4 years and NUIG only 3.

In terms of studying with other subjects there are a few options. You can do 'HistPol' which is History and Political Science or 'PhilPol' which is Philospohy and Political Science from the off. You can also do BESS (Business, Economic, and Social Studies). Picking this option you do Business, Economics, Sociology, and Politics in first year and then can choose to study Politics and any one of the other subjects from second year onwards. I personally did this and studied Sociology and Politics for my degree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭Daithio

I'm just finished a degree in single honours philosophy, but know alot of people who did phil/pol, and in general the reports were very positive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Pugwash

Just finished 2nd year bess: bus pol.

Pol is good. Bit boring in first year, better in 2nd year but the real meat only seems to start in 3rd year. That's the impression in get from others in 4th and 3rd. tutorials for example, were a bit lacklustre in 1st year , but were alot better in 2nd year.

exam questions up untill now have been comfortably predictable or majorly divulged. Call it foolish or lazy but this has resulted in many students, myself included, resting on laurels with regard study.

When you do turn it on, you find the readings/lectures are relivant and conducive to independant point forming, but the laziness can win over in terms of general study- HPT had v few turning up to it on fridays and attendence was a bit zig-zaggy in other lectures too.

bus and pol dont directly compliment each other but myself and other bus-pols i know appreciate having a difference rather than a mix.

There's a strong tradition handed down from Hill, Laver and Hyland, 3 highly regarded lecturers who left recently. Tutors and lectures are familiar with their approaches and works.

Thats all i got off the top of my head. good luck with the app, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Politics in Trinity is terrible.
    Bit boring in first year, better in 2nd year but the real meat only seems to start in 3rd year.

I thought the same thing, I'm hoping again for that to happen in 4th year.

I came to Trinity 3 years ago and it was one of the best politics departments in the world. However, 2 years ago Laver left, and took half of his staff with him to New York University.
    Hill is a woeful lecturer, a man whose specality is the USSR, so not really that useful. Hyland and Gail are fantastic.

If I had the choice again, I'd do politics in UCD.
    That said, I do Hist-Pol, and history in trinity is absolutely fantastic.

Get into Hist-Pol if you can, although it's a small course so tough to get into. Go through Bess if you want to mix it with economics or business, business if you want to make lots of money, economics if you want to make quite a bit of money, but perhaps pursue something in the public policy area.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭gilroyb

The main thing to remember is that Trinity doesn't have a politics department, it has a political science department. This difference doesn't come to the fore until 4th year, but is present in every year. It means that theories are all well and good, but generally need some sort of empirical proof. It is an interesting way to consider political issues, and I would certainly encourage you to study politics in Trinity.

The department is very well regarded on international rankings (for an Irish university that is), and has had a number of high profile lecturers over the years. The best names will always move on from Trinity, but it is telling that Laver, who was very well regarded in the department, moved to Trinity from NUIG. So it would seem that at least then Trinity was felt to be somewhat more prestigious. McElroy, Benoit, and Chari are up and coming stars of the department. Tanam who was teaching European Public Policy this year, was excellent, but she is also involved with the UCD masters and may have only been in Trinity for the year.

Political science is what you make it, if you have the interest and put the work in, the department probably wont disappoint you.

As for other options with it, I did economics, but as mentioned above there are a number of other possibilities. You can craft a very interesting course load if you look into your courses.

By the way, Hill is not gone, he's on sabbatical.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Right_Side

PHB wrote:
    business if you want to make lots of money, economics if you want to make quite a bit of money, but perhaps pursue something in the public policy area.

Mmm... mostly waffle (business) v quantitive skills (economics). Economics grads are far more likely to get jobs in IB etc. than BBS grads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Pugwash

On that last post...

tbh eco can be quite waffly too. Both bus and eco are subjects based in fact but can easily become entrenched in waffle and jargon.
    eco= public policy; bus= money: thats a gross generalisation.
    BBS grads have to do the quants in first and second and can do in third an forth if they want to.

So long as you approach BESS according to your own rules it is very flexible and you can chuck alot of the generalisations made about it in terms of the course work and predestination.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Hey sorry for bumping a 3 year thread, but I think this way is best for keeping information in the right place.

Any chance anyone can talk to me about Political Science and Philosophy, if the points don't change from 2007, I'll be taking this course. I have a huge interest in politics and I studied LC religion which had a lot of philosophy.

In general, what are the points going to be like (I know you can't say for sure) and what are the hours/workload like.

Thanks.

Advertisement