Broadband in Donegal - Page 3 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
21-11-2006, 21:15   #31
byte
Registered User
 
byte's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Town
Posts: 16,908
Yeah, there are roads being dug up in Donegal Town and Twin Towns also for this broadband... I'm presuming it's the Goverment's Metropolitan Area Network fibre optic thingy. Doubt if it'll be much benefit to the average Joe Soap.

Fair play irish1967 on getting somebody to do something with your pair-gain woes. I had pair-gain woes too when I was in Ballintra, and upgraded to ISDN, where they had to remove the PG for ISDN to work. A few days before the ISDN was installed, I had noticed my speeds had increased from 28k to about 46k, so I knew they had the PG removed.
byte is offline  
Advertisement
22-05-2007, 16:39   #32
Bocban
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 20
Has anybody ever heard of a company called Cross Country Broadband. They claim to be able to provide the following to any rural location.

"Our one way satellite broadband package starts at €29.50 per month for our 256Kb.speed with our 512Kb. speed costing €42.50 .
Our 1 Meg. and 2 meg. speeds retail at €65.00 and €95.00 respectively per month.
Our hardware costs amount to €285 which is a once off payment and covers everything you need to receive our broadband package."

http://www.crosscountrybroadband.com/home.html
Bocban is offline  
22-05-2007, 16:54   #33
deman
Registered User
 
deman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Suomi
Posts: 1,634
Send a message via MSN to deman Send a message via Yahoo to deman Send a message via Skype™ to deman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocban
Has anybody ever heard of a company called Cross Country Broadband. They claim to be able to provide the following to any rural location.

"Our one way satellite broadband package starts at €29.50 per month for our 256Kb.speed with our 512Kb. speed costing €42.50 .
Our 1 Meg. and 2 meg. speeds retail at €65.00 and €95.00 respectively per month.
Our hardware costs amount to €285 which is a once off payment and covers everything you need to receive our broadband package."

http://www.crosscountrybroadband.com/home.html
Seems a bit steep doesn't it?
deman is offline  
Thanks from:
22-05-2007, 16:54   #34
muffler
Moderator
 
muffler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Land of the brave.
Posts: 30,406
Have a look through this thread
Could save you some money - prices aren't available yet but it shouldn't be too long
muffler is offline  
22-05-2007, 19:17   #35
ednwireland
Moderator
 
ednwireland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: donegal
Posts: 8,942
Mod: Cycling
mind you barnesmore was out yesterday due to meteor cutting through the power cable putting up their new mast
ednwireland is offline  
Advertisement
23-05-2007, 08:15   #36
Carrickman
Registered User
 
Carrickman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Donegal
Posts: 1,281
Send a message via MSN to Carrickman Send a message via Yahoo to Carrickman Send a message via Skype™ to Carrickman
Got hooked up to Eircom Broadband in Carrick a few weeks back great to have internet access at weekends now.
Carrickman is offline  
28-05-2007, 13:30   #37
Bocban
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 20
Spoke to NWE today, they are hoping to have broadband access up and running by the end of the summer for the Castlefinn and surrounding areas....hmmmm.

Has anybody checked out the new 3 mobile broadband DataModem(E220) yet, is this a viable option or just more hype??
http://www.three.ie/handsets_new/datacards_e220.htm
Bocban is offline  
28-05-2007, 14:30   #38
ednwireland
Moderator
 
ednwireland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: donegal
Posts: 8,942
Mod: Cycling
seen the vodafone 3g card and seemed to work pretty well get a 3g connection over 2 miles from a 3g mast quick as well
ednwireland is offline  
29-05-2007, 17:55   #39
deman
Registered User
 
deman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Suomi
Posts: 1,634
Send a message via MSN to deman Send a message via Yahoo to deman Send a message via Skype™ to deman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocban
Spoke to NWE today, they are hoping to have broadband access up and running by the end of the summer for the Castlefinn and surrounding areas....hmmmm.
What are NWE's contact details?
deman is offline  
Advertisement
29-05-2007, 20:12   #40
byte
Registered User
 
byte's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Town
Posts: 16,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by deman
What are NWE's contact details?
NWE Wireless
Unit 16
Skeoge Ind Est.
Derry
N.I

Phone: +44 (0)2871 351999

Fax: +44 (0)2871 352123

www.nwewn.com
byte is offline  
30-05-2007, 20:39   #41
deman
Registered User
 
deman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Suomi
Posts: 1,634
Send a message via MSN to deman Send a message via Yahoo to deman Send a message via Skype™ to deman
Quote:
Originally Posted by byte
NWE Wireless
Unit 16
Skeoge Ind Est.
Derry
N.I

Phone: +44 (0)2871 351999

Fax: +44 (0)2871 352123

www.nwewn.com
Thanks
deman is offline  
26-06-2007, 13:51   #42
Bocban
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 20
Update from NWE

Got this email reply from NWE at the start of June. Might be worth registering your interest if you live in this area, might speed things up if nothing else.


We are planning to build a base unit in Castlefinn to cover your area.We don't have a completion date as of yet but should be before the end of the summer if you would like to apply.
Regards
N W E

online@nwewn.com wrote:
> This data was submitted via a web form at
> http://www.cranfordss.net/nwe/regist...n&service_type[/FONT][/FONT]

Last edited by Bocban; 26-06-2007 at 13:54.
Bocban is offline  
22-08-2007, 17:09   #43
Bocban
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 20
Wireless Broadband bases in Convoy and Binnion

I got a reply from NWE in relation to my question of when a base station would be available to service the Castlefin/Crossroads area.

"we now have base stations @ Convoy (Mulnagarry Hill) & Binnion ( between St Johnston & Lifford) which may provide coverage to your area."

Does anybody actually know where Mulnagarry Hill is because it's not coming up anywhere in Google and what is the likelihood of having a line of sight to it from the Crossroads/KillyGordon area?

Last edited by Bocban; 23-08-2007 at 11:09.
Bocban is offline  
23-08-2007, 11:18   #44
sesswhat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: A hill
Posts: 1,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocban
I got a reply from NWE in relation to my question of when a base station would be available to service the Castlefin/Crossroads area.

"we now have base stations @ Convoy (Mulnagarry Hill) & Binnion ( between St Johnston & Lifford) which may provide coverage to your area."

Does anybody actually know where Mulnagarry Hill is because it's not coming up anywhere in Google and what is the likelihood of having a line of sight to it from the Crossroads/KillyGordon area?
May be referring to Mullaghagarry, better known as the Steeple near Kilross junction on the Stranorlar to Convoy road. There are a few hills between there and Killygordon but you should have a better view as you cross to the other side of the valley at the Crossroads.
sesswhat is offline  
23-08-2007, 13:03   #45
muffler
Moderator
 
muffler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Land of the brave.
Posts: 30,406
Thread now moved to the Donegal forum
muffler is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet