Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room Allocations are up!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

Just out of interest, how come people who are going into 2nd year got rooms in the GMB and Botany Bay? I thought they were for Scholars and final years and such.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

I got a place.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

how come people who are going into 2nd year got rooms in the GMB and Botany Bay?

The real question is why anybody in 2nd year got rooms on campus at all.
    I assume they are either head of a society, a largeish one, or using the Irish language to get rooms.

Botony Bay ground floor baby :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

PHB wrote:
    The real question is why anybody in 2nd year got rooms on campus at all.
    I assume they are either head of a society, a largeish one, or using the Irish language to get rooms.

Botony Bay ground floor baby :)

No the sceim is in house 9 next year, so thats front square.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Zoodlebop

Hey, what happens to incoming Freshmen?

Also, would someone kindly explain the difference between Botany Bay, Goldsmith etc? Whichis the best college owned accommodation?

Thanks for any replies.

• Advertisement

Botany Bay is the best by far, and you have to apply with at least one other person to get it. Goldsmith is a bit small, but is grand. GMB is nice, but I found it a bit too spacious. Incoming Junior Freshman usually are allocated places in Halls, and should apply to Accommodation Office once their results are out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Yes. Turns out I know one of the fellas who's in my ex-house next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭xeduCat

Officially there are no written rules as to which students are put in which houses. However, there is a divide in terms of Trinity Hall v Campus in the (published) rough allocation of places between years. But within campus, there is no such division. Everything beyond that is rumour and guess.

Oh and also for second years, there can be any number of reasons - international students, students with disabilities, special circumstances that are taken into account by the Registrar of Chambers while allocating, etc. And there is still the option to (for example) house a second year student (or anyone) on campus, as the categories are 'guide only'. Or additionally, a student with an 05 number could well be someone who was not in JF in 2005/6 - there are various reasons. I'm very opposed to publishing the numbers online; it wouldn't be too hard to run a script/macro to mail people individually, and given the propogation of student numbers (e.g. for exam results), it's too easy to find out where someone will be living.

Socrates
    TH 50
    C 0
    Tot 50

International
    TH 110
    C 0
    Tot 110

JF
    TH 480
    C 0
    Tot 480

JS
    TH 50
    C 0
    Tot 50

One year
    TH 0
    C 50
    Tot 50

Pgrads EU
    Th 30
    C 40
    Tot 70

Pgrads Non EU
    TH 32
    C 40
    Tot 72

Scholars
    TH 0
    C 200
    Tot 200

SF
    TH 200
    C 0
    Tot 200

SS
    TH 40
    C 265
    Tot 305

Others
    TH 0
    C 20
    Tot 20

Schemes
    Th 16
    C 85
    Tot 101

Totals
    TH 1008
    C 700
    Tot 1708

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

Feck that, didn't get a room. I've been on Erasmus this year and working abroad all summer so God knows who I'm going to live with and where. Is the College Accomodation service any good at finding private flats or is it better to use Daft.ie?

• Advertisement

Do both. Daft's great but a lot of places on it won't rent to students. Let.ie is also getting quite big, and there are others too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Calm Horizons

AARRGHHHHHHHH!!!!

Didn't get a bloody room! And I was told that Senior Sophisters to-be were basically guaranteed to get accomodation :(

Looks like the hell of the 2-hour daily commute will have to continue :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

Send them an email later in the summer and you might get a place. Some people always turn places down. It's worth saying something again just before term starts, when I was in fourth year I was offered a room on the Thursday of Freshers Week.

Didn't get a bloody room! And I was told that Senior Sophisters to-be were basically guaranteed to get accomodation

Who told you that? I was told there was virtually no chance, that I had a better chance than most seeing as I'm coming back from Erasmus, but there are 10,000 students in Trinity and very few rooms. I had my fingers crossed but certainly wasn't expecting to get one. It's a pain in the arse now, because I don't know whether to go for another student halls or private, or to wait and see if any rooms on campus become available by which time I probably will have paid the deposit somewhere else anyway. I hate flat hunting :(

Hrmm - Where did you apply for though man? I mean i applied with a 4th year (as you know calm_horizons) for standard double and got it - were yee guys going for fancy pants ****? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Calm Horizons

I was going for a room in Pearse Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Dubliniensis

My number wasn't on that webpage and yet this morning I get an offer of a room in Pearse St in the post! Go figure... I'm not taking it anwyays. It was just a Plan B :)

xeduCat wrote:
    Schemes
    Th 16
    C 85
    Tot 101
    Out of interest, what do TH and C stand for?

Trinity Hall ; Campus I assumed?

Myth wrote:
    Trinity Hall ; Campus I assumed?
    I slap myself on the head.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Squoosh

Got a room in Goldsmith after applying for Botany Bay. Ah well, at least I'm in with the friend I applied with. Anyone know anything about the layout or anything in Goldsmith, what the rooms are like? Cos I sure as hell don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

There are four bedrooms in each apartment, and two bathrooms (both bathrooms are identical and across from each other). There's a small kitchenette/living room. The fridges in the kitchens are those small under-counter ones - waaaaaay small for four people, so you'll probably need your own mini-fridge. The apartments themselves are ever-so-slightly dingy in a 1980s kind of way, but have that real authentic "college dorm" feel. Plus, the convenience can't be beaten (especially if you're a science student, although you appear to be doing English studies so hmm). And you're right beside the Dart station too (good for trips out to Dun Laoghaire). The trains are a bit noisy but apparently you get used to to them quickly.

The bedrooms are alright too; they're pretty much as seen here, and they also have a washbasin inside the door.

Get used to keeping your window closed if you face out onto Westland/Pearse, as the pollution will cause a film on every surface (ick). The college laundrette is a bit of a walk, but apparently there's a (non-college) laundrette somewhere on Pearse St. That's about all I can think of. Oh, and you'll get plenty of exercise climbing up and down those stairs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭punka

Actually the apartments in Goldsmith vary in layout - I was in one which had 4 en-suite bedrooms, while some people I knew were in apartments with 7 rooms. In some apartments 2 rooms will be en-suite and the other 2 or 3 will share a bathroom. Generally, if you're on one of the lower floors (1 or 2) you're more likely to have a 4 or 5-room apartment, I think.

What are the Accommodation office like for finding private accommodation? Daft.ie barely has anything for students anymore. I can´t pay more than 450 max and the internet is essential which makes it a bit of a problem as I have seen very few non college houses with wireless. I would love an ensuite as well but that may be asking for too much :D I just remember the luxury of the Trinity Hall showers-...........so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

You wouldn't be sharing with randomers though, you'd be sharing with one of your flatmates. The bathrooms are between the bedrooms so it's right outside your door anyway. And as punka said, some rooms are ensuite.

standard_double_l.jpg

I assume thats a really well done up rubrics room, aye? because I aint never seen a standard double room like that before :P

That's a New Square room. Probably house 38. Two single rooms in a 'set' (sharing a living room and kitchen; toilet/shower down the hall usually shared with another 'set'). Almost always given only to students who apply together - i.e. they don't put two strangers together in a set.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Squoosh

Thanks for the Goldsmith answers, much appreciated! I checked the online listings to see how many other people were in my apartment - it's three, so I assume it's a 4-bed. Sabre, you could do the same, just search the page for the number of your apartment to find out how many other people are in with you.

Pet; pollution film!? Nice. Real nice!

punka, do you know anything about 69.3? And on the accommodation website it mentions something about some rooms in Goldsmith having double beds and some having singles. Anyone know what all that's about? Sorry for all the questions, I just literally know nothing about Goldsmith. I'm never, ever down that end.

Thanks again!

Xeducat: I assume the apartments in 38 and the one the other side of the law (is it?) building are different layout to 34-37 then?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭punka

I seem to remember 71.3 being a 7-roomer. Squoosh, you should note that a number of rooms in Goldsmith are reserved for visiting students. I applied with a friend, and we were the only two allocated to our apartment on the list. But when we moved in we'd been placed with 2 American visiting students. I was in house 70. 69 is on the Pearse St side, the second-last house from the end away from College. (70 is on the corner). Your living room/kitchen will face onto the courtyard which can have its disadvantages as parties can be noticed v quickly (unlike if you live in house 70 or 62 where the kitchen windows look out onto Pearse St and you could, hypothetically, get away with parties into the small hours. Not that any such thing ever happened in our flat. We were good boys.)

As Pet says, if your room faces onto Pearse St there's a gross pollution film, and it can be quite noisy (my room was RIGHT over the bus shelter outside Goldsmith on Pearse St). But for some reason the rooms with queen-size beds (not doubles, I've never seen them) always look onto Pearse St (in my admittedly limited experience). I think maybe 1 room in each apartment will have a queen-size bed, it's really the luck of the draw. And the single beds aren't *tiny*

Some more advice: a cheap microwave isn't a bad idea. And you should seriously consider investing in a water filter. The water on campus is generally pretty gross (although Goldsmith is better than most places). The best thing about living in Goldsmith is the showers - hot water all the time.

Advertisement