Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physics and English in Trinity

Options
  • 14-06-2006 7:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭

This is only a question, and as such, probably doesn't deserve it's own thread. As a prospective undergrad, I am wondering if there is any unofficial way to combine science (physics specificly) and English within a course in Trinity, it being the broad minded place that it is. If not (and it probably is not) then would ye recommend me to do Science (TR 071) or a TSM of English and a language (or maybe maths).

I equally enjoy both subjects.

What is the current and projected state of their departments, given the ARAM thing? Are the extramural options for English or Science better?

Any info you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Comments

*chokes*

You're a prospective student and you've heard of ARAM? How/where?
    Zoodlebop wrote:
    What is the current and projected state of their departments, given the ARAM thing? Are the extramural options for English or Science better?

Any info you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Oh, and there isn't a way to combine TR071 & TR001 unfortunately. I'm unsure if there's anyone on here doing English & Maths, but there are people doing just maths (so there may be Single Honours English here too!). At the end of the day, take any advice with a pinch of salt as everyone's experiences are different.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Zoodlebop

Myth wrote:
    *chokes*

I've been reading your posts about it. May as well know as much as possable about the place. D'you've any general advice yourself?

It sounds to me like typical buerocratical bungling, leaving the minority (and thus in my opinion the essential) subjects out in the cold. As one poster said, Beckett would be turning in his grave.

Prompt response that was from you!

Myth wrote:
    *chokes*

I've been reading your posts about it. May as well know as much as possable about the place. D'you've any general advice yourself?

It sounds to me like typical buerocratic bungling, leaving the minority (and thus in my opinion the essential) subjects out in the cold. As one poster said, Beckett would be turning in his grave.

Prompt response that was from you!

Ah well, ARAM'll be reviewed next year at a special Board meeting in around September/October. Whether there'll be an improvement from what is planned is another question.

I really can't comment too much on the personal aspects of the courses, sorry. There are Maths & Physics people on here, so as I said you should get a proper answer soon enough (and I know of one or two ex-English lurkers too, who might contribute.)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Zoodlebop wrote:
    If not (and it probably is not) then would ye recommend me to do Science (TR 071) or a TSM of English and a language (or maybe maths).
    I can recommend a subject. I won't know what's better for you however. That's your choice. Good to see your trying to make an informed decision.
    Zoodlebop wrote:
    I equally enjoy both subjects.
    That's a doozy. I'd try to get away from that line of thinking eventually though, keep an open mind and strive towards picking one. Take all things into account: enjoyment, aptitude, difficulty, employment prospects etc.

I'll tell you a little of what I know of the differences.
    If you do science you'll have quite the heavy timetable for the first two years, afaik you won't for tsm. If you chose physics/astrophysics your workload will triple (if you want to do well) in the sophister years even though your hours may go down. I think I'd be safe in saying that undergraduate physics is a hellova lot more taxing than undergraduate tsm. (Incidentally: In postgrad that's reversed, if I'm to believe any postgrads from both arts and sci I've talked with.)
    Broad Curriculum: this is available to 3rd year science students (maybe 2nd year too?). Some have to do it, some choose to do it. It's available to 3rd year physics but we were recommended not to do it as our workload is considered quite enough. Its marks replace 1/3rd of the 3rd year lab marks and anyone I know who did broad curriculum ended up choosing not to use the marks gained from it.

Zoodlebop wrote:
    What is the current and projected state of their departments, given the ARAM thing?
    As it stands trinity's school of physics is well known and well respected throughout europe. Whether you're for or against it the facts remain the same. Due to ARAM, college restructuring and just the general aim of Provost Hegarty to get up in the "rankings", the school of physics among others is looking to do much better over the coming years. So by the time you graduate it could well be world leading. Bears thinking about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

Myth wrote:

You're a prospective student and you've heard of ARAM?

Only two possible answers:

1. Your unknown illegitimate (sic) son / daughter

2. Prof Hegarthy's illegitimate son / daughter

In the words of Big Brother: Who's child, you decide?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Who's child, you decide?

The Apostrophe Protection Society would like a few word's with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭sully-gormo

Whats the workload like for Theoretical Physics? And what is ARAM; i could go and look around some of the posts on here but maybe you could all be nice and tell me???

Thanks for those replies. I have to say that I am leaning towards Science, as it will leave you behind in a few years if you drop it. English will always be there. As lots of ye seem to be Physics students, how much free time do you have?; enough to take an extra language module etc? Also what sort of careers or postgrad oppurtunities are ye looking at? What options for studying abroad are there?

Sorry for all these ceist, but I find that tcd.ie doesn't give me detailed enough info. Ye're better.

Many thanks

Whats the workload like for Theoretical Physics? And what is ARAM; i could go and look around some of the posts on here but maybe you could all be nice and tell me???

ARAM: 1, 2 plus the general thread here.

Theoretical Physics: 1, 2.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

About English -

There's a lot of reading. Which sounds obvious, I know, but it's not just reading fun novels or plays or poetry, there's a whole lot of critical theory stuff (there's an entire course devoted to it in first year, plus you'll need to read critical stuff alongside all the fun novels/plays/poetry) and for SH there's Old English, which is a bit of a headache. Few contact hours, so a bit less structured than the sciencey courses, and easier to get away with doing very little, but you'll just end up completely screwed at the end of the year if you take that path. It's not overly difficult to pass things, but it is very difficult to do very well. (Whereas with science courses I think it's harder to pass, but you're in with a genuine chance of getting a mark higher than 70ish.)
    Are the extramural options for English or Science better?
    Not quite sure what you mean by that. The extramural courses that are offered by both departments aren't really geared towards students in the departments so much as other people. I know English have conferences and such like that students *can* go to, though mostly you've enough on your plate without doing extra-curricular stuff. Broad curriculum courses - there's an English one, and then there's a couple of science-ish ones. Don't think they do a physics one, they're more about botany and such like.

claire h wrote:
    About English -

There's a lot of reading. Which sounds obvious, I know, but it's not just reading fun novels or plays or poetry, there's a whole lot of critical theory stuff (there's an entire course devoted to it in first year, plus you'll need to read critical stuff alongside all the fun novels/plays/poetry) and for SH there's Old English, which is a bit of a headache. Few contact hours, so a bit less structured than the sciencey courses, and easier to get away with doing very little, but you'll just end up completely screwed at the end of the year if you take that path. It's not overly difficult to pass things, but it is very difficult to do very well. (Whereas with science courses I think it's harder to pass, but you're in with a genuine chance of getting a mark higher than 70ish.)

Not quite sure what you mean by that. The extramural courses that are offered by both departments aren't really geared towards students in the departments so much as other people. I know English have conferences and such like that students *can* go to, though mostly you've enough on your plate without doing extra-curricular stuff. Broad curriculum courses - there's an English one, and then there's a couple of science-ish ones. Don't think they do a physics one, they're more about botany and such like.

Thanks, thats good advice.

Yeah, the critical stuff does sound kinda dry. Did you enjoy your English course overall?

What I mean by extramural options is opportunities to keep up with my interests in Science/English, English if I end up in Science and visa versa. I have heard that there is a Lit. Soc. Are you a member? What is it like?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

Lit. Soc.

Its a small society, biggest event this year was a poetry reading from Longly. Every couple of weeks they have open readings where people can (obviously) read their own writing. They wer eusually on thursday nights. I never actually made it any despite best intentions. aside from that many societies have essay writing competitions and the like, so it's posisbel to kepe up an interest in English definetly. And then if you go with English theres physoc. I had a similar dilema to you last year, i wanted to do english and economics which isn't offered in Trinity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

Zoodlebop wrote:
    Thanks, thats good advice.

Yeah, the critical stuff does sound kinda dry. Did you enjoy your English course overall?

What I mean by extramural options is opportunities to keep up with my interests in Science/English, English if I end up in Science and visa versa. I have heard that there is a Lit. Soc. Are you a member? What is it like?

I found the critical stuff mostly very irritating. Very heavy on academic jargon and impenetrable language. But overall I do like English, yep.

Lit Soc - I am a member in name only. *g* If you're into the creative side of English, though, they have publications and readings and stuff - because there's no creative-writing aspect to the English course at all. So it's less tied to having knowledge of all the classics or literary theories than some of the sciencey societies would be to having basic knowledge, I think.

Lit. Soc.
    i wanted to do english and economics which isn't offered in Trinity.

What did you end up doing?

I think people should be able to combine the two. English studies how the imagination works, science studies how the universe works. Better a partial understanding of both than a total understanding of either, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

BESS, turns out I love poltics so i'm happy enough. Also I like stories, not the cultural historical etc conext of novels. I enjoy what happens next as opposed to what impact Darwin had upon society.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Zoodlebop wrote:
    As lots of ye seem to be Physics students, how much free time do you have?; enough to take an extra language module etc?
    In first year I know some people who took a french etc language module. They weren't many and there were even less who kept it up in second year but they were able for it time wise. Though it did somewhat take up valuable drinking time being on at 7pm. In the sophister years you will have no time for any other studies. In third year I tried and failed (quite literally), it really is an inhuman amount of material and a massive jump from 2nd year. Any wonder 3rd year physics has a 50% failure rate? With no resits in august you'll tend to find a lot of social mixing between the years as so many people are repeating. Think I managed it ok second time round though thankfully :rolleyes:
    They really do only want the cream of the crop. But thankfully it's not bell-curved and as such not competitive so there tends to be a good camaradarie among the class. They just make the exams and material really really hard.
    Zoodlebop wrote:
    Also what sort of careers or postgrad oppurtunities are ye looking at?
    If you want to stay in physics after your degree you'll need to do postgrad. Usually this is done through a research PhD, usual length being 4 years. The opportunities for such research doctorates are ridiculous if you can get a 2.1 or higher. If you get a 2.2 you can even still get them though it's a mite bit more difficult. Research phDs are usually funded (by sfi, private companies, government, college etc), so it won't cost you anything to do them and you will get a wage. This usually about 14K per annum but can be anywhere up to 20K if you can manage to secure funding from ircset etc. So in essence it's a lowish-paid job that makes you a Dr. Joe Bloggs at the end.

Careers wise: Approx just over 50% of physics grads go into further study. 25% go into finance straight from their degree. Companies like HSBC, management advisors, mortgagebrokers, stockbrokers, insurance companies firms etc love physics/maths grads. The work is competitive but well paid and requires a bit of zeal I believe. After a phD many will tend to stay on for a little doing post-doctoral research either in the same college or somewhere else. This is basically the same as what they were doing for their PhD but now they're getting paid 30K-40K for it. If they are successful researchers they may get a fellowship and stay on become a researcher/lecturer. But usually they just stay on for more research experience and only a few have aspirations of taking up academia as a career.
    There are research/management jobs in industry (think sony, hitachi, intel, siemens, even car companies etc. multitudes, it depends what your speciality within physics is) if you want to stay in physics. But even then some don't. They go into many many varied jobs that tend to be very well paid. According to the IOP, physics grads are only second to medicine and law grads when it comes to lifetime salary.
    Zoodlebop wrote:
    What options for studying abroad are there?
    For an undergraduate year abroad? None. However there is a mandatory 4th year research project. This is the same for astrophysics and PCAM (phys & chem of advanced materials, which is mostly a physics degree tbh) but not TP. Basically you play the part of a phd student for 3-4 months over the duration of the first term. This can be done either abroad or within the college. Places for the project are competitive though. I'm attempting to get mine in Denmark starting september doing:
    Growth of thin films with pulsed laser deposition (PLD)controlled by RHEED
    Prof Jørgen Schou at Risø National Laboratory, Denmark
    Local contact: Prof J Lunney

High quality thin films of nanometer thickness can be deposited by pulsed laser deposition (PLD), which is a unique method to produce thin films of materials of complicated chemical composition, for example metal oxides or nitrides. A typical example is YSZ (yttria stablized zirconia) which is used as electrolyte in solid oxide fuel cells. Risø National Laboratory has recently established a national PLD-facility to grow thin uniform films with diameters up to 125 mm. The growth of a film at the monolayer level can be controlled in-situ by a RHEED (reflected high energy electron diffraction) system. Deposition control of film growth of fractions of a monolayer is usually a very difficult project, but can be achieved comparatively easily with PLD equipped with a RHEED system. In the project layer-by-layer growth will be attempted with metals, oxides, nitrides or combinations of these materials.
    Fingers crossed I get it :)

You could always do postgrad abroad too. The language of the lab is English thankfully so though you probably should learn some of the local toungue, it's not an essential prerequisite.
    Zoodlebop wrote:
    Sorry for all these ceist, but I find that tcd.ie doesn't give me detailed enough info. Ye're better.

Many thanks
    Nay bother, hope the above schpeel was at least somewhat useful. Any more specific questions don't hesitate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 BessBoy

beket may be turning in his grave, but will we know....
    surely tomorrow mr b will turn.

Too much weed

Advertisement