Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone to introduce flat rate wireless broadband

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

We have known about it for some time but unfortunately I at least am bound by a NDA so can't comment :)

Joh

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Interesting great for people on the move

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

seems that what JTG hinted a while back is coming to pass. I am therefore officially impressed with Voda ( as I promised )and may be very impressed if the CAP / FUP is in any way sensible. Thats 5Gb and maybe a greater offpeak limit .

Of course it will mainly affect IBB and Clearwire as yiz can see from the coverage map linked below. It will ONLY be available in the RED bits

MapGuideLiteView?REQUEST=MAP&WIDTH=696&HEIGHT=696&FORMAT=PNG&LAYERS=VodafoneCoverCombo.mwf&BBOX=-50000,0,450000,500000

More red bits there Voda ......and thanks for listening :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Sponge Bob wrote:
    seems that what JTG hinted a while back is coming to pass. I am therefore officially impressed with Voda ( as I promised )and may be very impressed if the CAP / FUP is in any way sensible. Thats 5Gb and maybe a greater offpeak limit .

Of course it will mainly affect IBB and Clearwire as yiz can see from the coverage map linked below. It will ONLY be available in the RED bits

MapGuideLiteView?REQUEST=MAP&WIDTH=696&HEIGHT=696&FORMAT=PNG&LAYERS=VodafoneCoverCombo.mwf&BBOX=-50000,0,450000,500000

More red bits there Voda ......and thanks for listening :)
    Would it cost them a lot to spread the red a bit.

they are still building , unlike O2 and especially 3 who stopped building ages ago but if they cannot finish the green bit first then there is no chance they will ever finish the red bit .

Then again they should be a USO carrier as should O2 .

• Advertisement

FWIW

Clonard is in an orange bit and I can make and receive video calls over 3g

this has only happened in the past few months.

So I believe that the 3g area is spread out a bit more than that map.

On that map Clonard is out along the N4 (green road due west ) from dublin just before it splits to N6 and N4

John

P.S. on other maps it is also west of dublin on the N4 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

This may not be true, but when I talked to Voda about 3G a few months ago, they told me my local town of Ballyhaunis, County Mayo is "on the list" (though the rep I was talking to couldn't give me a date, which is suspicious), as it were, to get 3G-enabled.

Looking at their plans, they want to get 80% of the population covered by the end of the year. While that's not everybody, it's Not Bad At All. Especially if they keep up the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Good news, it will be nice to hopefully have an alternate source of connection to choose from when I return.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

€50 per month is good for business folk but if they want to hit the home user, they'd want to lower it a bit I think.

Very off topic: Is this type of service available in Spain does anyone know? I'm going there for 2 months or more and it would be handy if there was a similar option in Spain.

cormie, presumably Vodafone in Spain will launch a similar service. However, forget it, because the problem is that you usually have to sign a 12 month (sometimes up to 24 months) contract. Edit: I see they offer 3-month contract option in Germany, but only if you pay for the equipment, which is not cheap (299 euros).

Don't forget the €50 might include a home phone service. Vodafone already offer that in Germany, see here:
    http://www.vodafone.de/privat/tarife_und_vertraege/76792.html

Basically it's a box with a 3G card in it, which does wifi, print server, has a phone jack to plug in your existing phone. It's essentially a complete replacement for your landline. They're advertising broadband speeds of up to 1.8 MBit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

They currently offer a service to business where they bascially connect their phone network into fixed GSM phone modules. Mobile calls made on the telephone system are automatically routed through this unit to save money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

50 euros might seem like a lot to someone who already has bb but if they spread out those red bits a little more to where people cant get dsl or other wireless bb this product could be what ireland sorely needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

While it is pretty easy to criticise 3G as a service offering in general because of the lack of coverage, I think we should all remember how long it took for the green bits on that map to fill up..

12/24 month contract is a bit of a paint. Could you use the same equipment from Ireland in Spain I wonder? I never even knew Vodafone were in more countries than Ireland/UK so that's good news:)

I suppose a question to ask is will other mobile providers get their act together and start to offer the same service which will bring down the price?

1.8MBIT is more than enough for me, 500kbps would even do fine, always on BB is all I need.

What am I looking at in the map exactly? What is the green/orange/red? Is it the concentration of signal power or do different colour represent different phone companies?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭JMcL

50 euros might seem like a lot to someone who already has bb but if they spread out those red bits a little more to where people cant get dsl or other wireless bb this product could be what ireland sorely needs.

Factor in the fact that DSL needs monthly line rental gouging added on to it, the price looks a bit more reasonable.

Also, if it works reliably, it would be a viable alternative to those in apartment blocks/estates who can't erect an antenna, or who don't want to play ball with either the incumbent monopoly or whichever alternative monopoly has been foisted on them for that matter (so to speak).

John

looks like loads of improvements have been going on.

http://www.vodafone.ie/sme/coverage/improve/index.jsp

Selecting greater Leinster, Clonard and Kinnegad are listed, so that map is out of date.

So Kinnegad will now have ADSL, Wireless and 3g/HSPDA! Will wonders never cease! I might have to retire if this keeps going on :)

2 months ago
    However, Handley said that ‘‘within a short time’’, speeds on the Vodafone product would be increased to over 10Mbs, far above most conventional broadband speeds.

Be very interested to see if that gets mentioned.

John

jwt wrote:
    Selecting greater Leinster, Clonard and Kinnegad are listed, so that map is out of date.
    Listed but not mapped. Little Red blobettes required , wonder if them two will join up ?
    So Kinnegad will now have ADSL, Wireless and 3g/HSPDA! Will wonders never cease! I might have to retire if this keeps going on :)
    :D . The problems of success eh .

Vodafone will not be in a mad hurry to up the speeds to 10Mbits given their cell backhaul situation in some areas. 3-5 Mbits will be the next increment.

I am still impressed though JTG, and any chance you can PM me the package details ????

or post them here? Or pm me too:D

Any updates on this? It was supposed to be announced today right?

The only person I know that quoted today was Adrian Wreckler.

Everybody else is quoting imminent, soon, this month, next few days etc

From last Friday it was in the next 10 days (working days I assume) according to a Vodafone person.

John

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭JimmySmith

i dont think they are going to announce this today at all. Its getting a bit late now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

http://www.unison.ie/breakingnews/index.php3?ca=35&si=93380

Vodafone has announced plans to introduce a fixed rate for internet access on mobile phones and laptops.

Under the system, users will be charged a monthly fee of €50 that will allow them to access the web as often as they like via their mobile phones.

At the moment, costs are levied based on the amount of information downloaded, which makes it difficult for customers to know how much they will be charged.

Phasing . Hope its not phased out slowly from Sandyford or Dundalk.

This article form March (UK)

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/communications/wireless/0,39020348,39256673,00.htm
    Vodafone has yet to commit to a UK-wide deployment but recent comments from Arun Sarin, the company's chief executive suggest the operator is already looking towards the next generation of 'wireless broadband' technologies such as WiMax.

and
    The operator said that after trialling the technology around the Newbury, where Vodafone is based, it will start piloting the service with 100 business users in Greater London

Rather unambitious . Even more so when compared to BT , see here . But that was March. Lets see what happens in the UK .

If you don't want to spend 5 minutes registering for a unison account, here's the full article:
    Vodafone has announced plans to introduce a fixed rate for internet access on mobile phones and laptops.
    Under the system, users will be charged a monthly fee of €50 that will allow them to access the web as often as they like via their mobile phones.

At the moment, costs are levied based on the amount of information downloaded, which makes it difficult for customers to know how much they will be charged.

Doesn't really contain any new information...

Full Press Release Here

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/news.nv?storyid=single6595
    Ireland’s largest mobile operator Vodafone has revealed plans to launch a flat-rate 3G mobile internet service on its network for €49 a month. By the end of the year existing 3G services will be boosted to 1.2MB per second by HSDPA (high-speed downlink packet access) and Vodafone has confirmed that the flat rate will apply to this service

No bananas for 6 months and no pricing change until then either. No pilot scheme neither.

And that €49 + VAT = €60 for residential customers.

Vodafone Unlimited Data

All together now......
    There may be trouble ahead
    But while there's moonlight and music
    And love and romance
    Let's face the music and dance

Pretty light on details, no caps, hardware cost, coverage, what happens when you fall back to 3g or gprs, minimum contracts etc

John

It seems to me that they have really announced nothing at all.
    Unless the announce the price AND conditions (CAP etc) its just PR rubbish.
    Come on BT and 3. You have the technology too.

JimmySmith wrote:
    Come on BT and 3. You have the technology too.

BT spun off their mobile business, o2, a while ago. It is currently owned by Telefonica.

CAP is 5GB per month.

• Advertisement

BT spun off their mobile business, o2, a while ago. It is currently owned by Telefonica.

Sorry O2. I still call vodafone Eircell too on occasion

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement