Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music in trinity

Options
  • 08-06-2006 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭

Hey i'm an LC whos been accepted to trinity music coures and was wondering if it was any good anyway. Ive heard alot of bad things but i thought it best to find out from students themselves. thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

If no one else gets back to you, I'll let you know on the weekend. I'm going out with a bunch of them tomorrow night after they finish their exams.

Just so I know what to ask them, what is it you're looking for out of a music course?

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭The Agogo

Teaching, recording and composition, thanks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Moorsy

Well sadly Im not a music student so I cant help you with the above(WHY ARE U WRITING THIS THEN!!!!). Did u get into both courses?

My sister did the music education course a couple of years ago and she finished her masters a year ago.
    Her class was tiny and it still is like 8 places. Which is nice in one way but could be bad if you wanted to meet lots of musicians, but there's societies for that. I think Trinity is know as one of the best music degree's in Ireland.
    Ok I shouldn't have started this,I dont know what Im talking about. It doesn't help ekk sorry....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

They seperate the year between those who want to play music and those who want to teach music.

From what I've gathered, it isn't a hugely challenging course (at least not in first year) and the hours are decent.

I'm not sure if they go into recording, but I know they don't go into music management.

As you probably know, a degree can only get you so far in the music world.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

They do recording as far as I know. Well they cover most aspects of technology in music. I'd like to do it purely for the courses relating to 20th century music like musique concrete and atonal music.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭The Agogo

Thanks for all the advice. its really helpful. i'll think i'll put it in my CAO incase i dont pass irish. But i really want to get into teaching and recording. thanks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

I would love to do any sort of music course in any college but the question is...am I likely to get any sort of a career afterwards? It's sort of take what you get. Understandably, if you're amazing at music you can go into performing but that's a bit of a risk, money-wise. You really have to be devoted. I suppose teaching music is an option but I don't think I'd like that. Any word from people doing music courses?

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ilovemybrick

the degree is not looked on favourably by most classical musicians or the pro scene in general in classical music as the performance requirements are not the best. realistically as a course it depends what you want to do. if your looking to gig either classically, on the pub/club scene, trad or jazz you can get that all simply by getting involved with people in societies.
    it is an easy course to do but a hard course to do well in if you get my drift. the technical requirements for music technology are very small. history is a doddle if you like it, the harmony and counterpoint (ie theretical) side of it is just that, theoretical and all you need to do is do the work.
    realistically B.Mus Ed is a course for teachers and the B.Mus course is just a music course with not that many definite career openings stemming from it unless you get a teaching (ie privately) career off the ground.
    it is not a bad course but it is not a great course either. depends a lot on what you want to make of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Moorsy

Both courses are highly regarded but all I can add is my sister did the Music Education course and she found it very difficult to get a teaching job. She got a 1st, so it wasn't because of grades. She's a lecturer now so it turned out well but she had to move to Limerick and then could only get a part time teaching contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Sweet Caroline

I would love to do any sort of music course in any college but the question is...am I likely to get any sort of a career afterwards? It's sort of take what you get. Understandably, if you're amazing at music you can go into performing but that's a bit of a risk, money-wise. You really have to be devoted. I suppose teaching music is an option but I don't think I'd like that. Any word from people doing music courses?

I'm planning on doing one, but I'm not really sure any more because, basically, of all the reasons that you've mentioned. It depends if there's something else that you're torn between. Like if you have another option music could always be a hobby or even a part-time job but your really career could be in something else. if you're thinking of UK unis music college could be an option, if you go to somewhere like Guildhall, RAM etc the musical world is your oyster, or Oxbridge means you could get a job basically anywhere.

Basically what swung it for me (between music and chemistry) was the thought of waking up to piles of formulae, spending hours in the lab, making research projects, and all the while knowing that if I was doing music I'd be loving every second. I do enjoy science but it couldn't be my life the same way that music could be.

Now the plan (I think) is Maths/Music at TCD :) Fingers crossed for results day...

• Advertisement
Advertisement