Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pat Kenny V Pyschic Line... PK -2 :/

Options
  • 04-06-2006 7:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭

I meant to post about this a couple of months ago when the decision was made that the BCC or whatever had ruled the PK had gone over the line re impartiality about yermans pyschic line service, it was such a hot topic here the day the show was on.

anyway PK had to read out the ruling on his show the other day and it was reported in the times that yerman was going to make another complaint because he said PK simply repeated his impartial remarks when he read out his own statement about the show after reading the ruling.

http://www.bcc.ie/decisions/mar_06_decisions.html

However, the Commission noted that the presenter uttered statements throughout the broadcast piece that were an expression of his own opinions. While playing the devil’s advocate is an acceptable interviewing style, the Commission believes that the interviewer in both tone and content persisted with statements and allegations in a partial manner and concludes that the interviewer dealt with the subject matter in an unfair manner. The complaint was upheld.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

A form of racism and religious intolerance? Ms. Pemberton might want to use her powers to conjure up a dictionary before making slanderous claims like that.

Realm Communications who are mentioned in the report skirt the laws narrowly, as do all premium rate lines. I worked for one (not Realm, but somebody who works with them) who told us not to inform people if they were eligible for a refund unless "they were really angry".

I disagree strongly with the decision. It's a shame that one of Pat's finer moments has been shot down like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

I don't necessarily disagree with the ruling, I can see how the complaint was upheld, but Im glad PK was forceful about it on his show, called a spade a spade, maybe PK 10 v TH 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Lodgepole wrote:
    A form of racism and religious intolerance? Ms. Pemberton might want to use her powers to conjure up a dictionary before making slanderous claims like that.

Realm Communications who are mentioned in the report skirt the laws narrowly, as do all premium rate lines. I worked for one (not Realm, but somebody who works with them) who told us not to inform people if they were eligible for a refund unless "they were really angry".

I disagree strongly with the decision. It's a shame that one of Pat's finer moments has been shot down like that.

They may or may not skirt the laws on broadcasting (skirt may be a charitable term) but they BLATENTLY flaunt the advertising rules. They are not allowed make any claims that:

*they can see the future
    *they can contact the dead
    *they can give advice on medical issues

according to the advertising standards commission. They break the first rule in their radio ads and all three, over and over again, on their website.

Could not agree with you more on that, however the fact reamains that he broke the letter of the law by not being impartial. Most people would agree with him - myself included, but there it is.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Pat Kenny was perfectly right. Who in their right mind would ring one of these lines? It's always someone who's insecure or needs to 'know' from an 'expert' what's coming up. These lines violate causality and general relativity - i'm glad Kenny put their scam in simple language for everyone. Well done PK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Dermington

Well being honest this is typical of a public station.

If it was a private business (like Today FM or whatever) they could say whatever the hell they wanted.

Pay Kenny is good at his job and I'm glad he decided to have an opinion instead of being forced to be the same old grand-dad type presenter. For god sake they may as well have Daniel O'Donnell presenting the fookin ting wha!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Lodgepole wrote:
    I'm curious to know what recognised religion you are automatically a part of because you believe you're psychic. :rolleyes:
    Or is it some kind of free-for-all where I can make up my own horse-shít religion and cry discrimination every time I don't get my way?
    I'm glad they didn't uphold that part of it, I'd lose so much faith in humanity. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I'm curious to know what recognised religion you are automatically a part of because you believe you're psychic. :rolleyes:
    Or is it some kind of free-for-all where I can make up my own horse-shít religion and cry discrimination every time I don't get my way?
    I'm glad they didn't uphold that part of it, I'd lose so much faith in humanity. :eek:

in fairness every religion is horse-**** to someone. but I know what you mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭rcs

Agree that it is a shame Pat got rapped on the knuckles about these rip off merchants.. liked his comments before he read out the apology tho!

Although if someone did get badly burned by the Psychic line, I can only say that it is their own fault... anyone who picks up the phone and pays €1p/min or whatever it is, to listen to some loon make up lies about the future, deserves all they got & more

• Registered Users Posts: 55,469 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I think its something like €2.40 a minute. Whats worse is that you have to listen to something like nearly 5 minutes of ads for other services before you get to talk to someone (so you are already a tenner down before you start).

Rip off. Fair play Pat...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

tbh wrote:
    in fairness every religion is horse-**** to someone. but I know what you mean.
    Yeah true enough, but some religions are more horse-****e than others, at least according to the state ;)
    What I was wondering about when I was posting that is -can you actually claim religious discrimination if your apparent religion isn't officialy recognised... ie. something that wouldn't be accepted by the census.

*looks around for things that offend me as a fundamentalist dark-side jedi*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

moving to paranormal.

if you guys moved it form there, i would then suggest moving it to the radio forum

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Red Alert wrote:
    Who in their right mind would ring one of these lines?

im of the opinion that if i need a psychic, they will be in touch with me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

As this came from another forum, the thread is open for discussion free from the stricter rules of paranormal. Sceptical discussion is valid.

Just lets not libel or slander folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Ok well with regards to the interview and PK comments I havent heard them but I can understand both sides. I wouldnt side with Psychic line as a company but I dont think i could happily say that everyone of the opporators is a fake.

To be honest if someone had a talent and wanted to try make a living from it these things could be very accessible. Sure there are people reading off scripts and the like but with alot of jobs there will be people who try to make a difference and genuinely help people. Though in fairness ringing these lines is a big gamble that you'll get one of these.

Some people get addicted to them and its unfair to take advantage. BUt the placebo effect kicks in and i'm sure people come away feeling they have been helped.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Fair play to the BCC. Realm communications may or may not be flouting regulations and may or may not rip people off, but it's not Pat Kenny's position to determine that. He has a position where he has the ability to influence the opinions and decisions of many people, and with that position comes a duty to be unbiased and impartial. As the BCC rightly found he completely failed in this duty. I personally believe his attack on IPL was the result of an earlier piece he did on the company after which he was widely criticised for not being tougher on them, and the attack was nothing more than a ratings boosting stunt at the expense of a soft target.

The media has to keep in mind that it's not it's place to tell us what's right and what's wrong, if Realm Communication/IPL really are scamming people as blatantly as Kenny suggests, then a simple unbiased discussion of the facts would surely expose that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

stevenmu wrote:
    Fair play to the BCC. Realm communications may or may not be flouting regulations and may or may not rip people off, but it's not Pat Kenny's position to determine that. He has a position where he has the ability to influence the opinions and decisions of many people, and with that position comes a duty to be unbiased and impartial. As the BCC rightly found he completely failed in this duty. I personally believe his attack on IPL was the result of an earlier piece he did on the company after which he was widely criticised for not being tougher on them, and the attack was nothing more than a ratings boosting stunt at the expense of a soft target.

The media has to keep in mind that it's not it's place to tell us what's right and what's wrong, if Realm Communication/IPL really are scamming people as blatantly as Kenny suggests, then a simple unbiased discussion of the facts would surely expose that.

I agree 100% its not like he did it because of the injustice. the guy just lashed out to try convince people he had a backbone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭medja

Kenny could really have caused Realm communications real problems, but it was a poorly researched, poorly presented and poorly produced piece of radio.

It was very one sided and if all the facts were put on the table without emotion Higgins would have had real questions to answer.

At one point in the interview, Pat seems to be going on about where Tom Higgins parked his car that morning.

At the same time Pat kept going on about charging 2.40 a minute, However what about those people that ring RTE competition lines 100 and 200 times a day, do they not also have a problem? Should RTE use normal phone lines and stop ripping off people who want to win a holiday or cast a vote?

Pat has a real problem with Realm as they claim that he made them the success they are today. His show ran a report about them in 98 and after that the calls just flooded in. Pat says it isn't so but won't play the report from that time.

Like them or not Realm did not get a far hearing, The BCC agreed and the judgement of that authority should have been read out without comment.

I wouldn't be surprised if Realm starts legal action and RTE settle out of court.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

medja wrote:
    It was very one sided and if all the facts were put on the table without emotion Higgins would have had real questions to answer.
    At one point in the interview, Pat seems to be going on about where Tom Higgins parked his car that morning.
    I agree, Higgins could have been totally nailed on that show if the researchers had been doing their jobs.

As it is...
    medja wrote:
    I wouldn't be surprised if Realm starts legal action and RTE settle out of court.

...at all our cost.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

psi wrote:
    As this came from another forum, the thread is open for discussion free from the stricter rules of paranormal. Sceptical discussion is valid.

Just lets not libel or slander folks.
    We (the admins) are in receipt of a letter threatening legal action against us as a result of comments made on this site (though not on this thread) by the people behind IPL.

Please remember that you should not libel people nor use this service to defame someone as it is beyond our charter to be used in such a manner.

Other then that, please feel free to discuss this topic in a mature manner.

DeV.

Advertisement