Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computing M.SC degrees

Options
  • 03-06-2006 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm a DCU undergrad going into final year and I'm thinking of going to Trinity to do a masters in Computer Science, but I don't know which one to do. I'd love to hear if anyone did them before and what they thought of them. There is one I'd like to do in DCU but I'm sick of commuting from Walkinstown to Glasnevin every day. However, it's considerably cheaper (~€2500) as it's subsidised by the HEA, so as you can see I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place, and all this is before I even get my final grades. *sigh*:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭vinks

I think the CS department do a masters in distributed systems i thnk there is another masters that they run as well, i have no idea on the costs involved in them course.

the HPC centre and the Maths department run a masters course in high performance computing as well, i think the costs is roughly 4500e for the year. and its a year long course with no summer break or anything like that.

the basic requirement is that you need a 2.1 honours degree before they will consider your application. im not too sure on what other requirements there are though.

i think most people come out of college with a 2.1 anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭pushpop

Cool. Yeah I'm going to just put the head down for the whole of next year and work my arse off, I'd be aiming to get a 2.1 or maybe even a 1.1 but maybe the latter is a bit unrealistic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

I'm doing a Masters with CIT and got a 2.1 in my degree results. Even if you don't get the grades this year universities will look at your application if you have a few years real-work experience behind you. Which imo anyone should have before taking on a Masters. I definately feel I would have got more out of it had I some years in the workplace behind me. Bring in my experiences and so on.

Advertisement