Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Science Linguistics and German

Options
  • 23-04-2006 1:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭

I am thinking of doing this course next year. I am interested in computers maths and german I think this might be the course for me. is it good?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Pretty much any course I've ever heard of in Trinity that doesn't focus on just one discipline turns out to be pretty rubbish*. This is because although this combination may sound great to employers, in reality you're doing several very different subjects in great detail and it's tough. There's more reasons but as the Magic Numbers once almost said, words fail me now

*Honourable exception: SocSocPol, naturellement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

I'm in second year of Computer Science, Linguistics, Irish at the moment, and I have to say that it is a fantastic course.

The computer science aspect of it isn't as general as the computer science course. It's more focused on the language elements of it. It's got some of the computational linguistics bits that used to be taught out in DCU before they did away with it.

The German bit is basically the same as the TSM course AFAIK, only it doesn't bother with any of the poetry bits.

Linguistics is another story altogether, and I can't say that it's fun. The department can be quite strict. The only thing I can say to you for linguistics is get to know what you're going to cover before you start and don't be too surprised by anything that turns out to be boring.

If you've any more specific questions, feel free to ask, because to be honest I really didn't give you much info here and I can't think of much more to say right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

Yeah. Is there any other options in Trinity or any other university I know of to do computerish subjects with German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭young nastyman

BA in Computer Science in UCD. You do computer science and you pick one arts subject (which includes German).

http://www.ucd.ie/horizons/programmes/ba-cs.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Not all combination courses are crap, but allot are exactly as stargal described. There tends to be allot of "of yea those guys" and not taking responsibility for people.

In my degree (compuer and electronic engineering) That threat us pretty well, and I have to say the combination ahve given me a much wider range and far more oppertunies then I would have recieve doing a specific course. I'm also thankfull that I'm a student in two schools, otherwise I'd be royally boned by the looks of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

stargal wrote:
    Pretty much any course I've ever heard of in Trinity that doesn't focus on just one discipline turns out to be pretty rubbish*.
    you mean from the point of view of a poorly structured course or the workload/work type?

we'd have alot of TSM's of english/history/economics with maths...and its well structured, but for alot of them i dunno how you'd spend half your day doing maths and the other half doing english..... be just wierd...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭ZWEI_VIER_ZWEI

we'd have alot of TSM's of english/history/economics with maths...and its well structured, but for alot of them i dunno how you'd spend half your day doing maths and the other half doing english..... be just wierd...

Weird? dunno, sounds a lot like the LC over again <3;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 bill_lumbergh

NADA wrote:
    I am thinking of doing this course next year. I am interested in computers maths and german I think this might be the course for me. is it good?

CSLG is actually a great course for a number of reasons. the class is quite small so you'd get to know everybody very well, the course is well structured and isn't a mish-mash of subjects as one person suggested in their reply but at the same time it is diverse in so far as that you could go in many different directions after completing the degree.

for me the Linguistics part became the most fun after one or two of the classes in 1st and 2nd year had to be endured more than enjoyed but then when you get past that there's some really interesting subjects to do. linguistics is a very broad area in itself and thankfully after 2nd year you can choose to study only the parts of it that you like.
    people can take the degree in whichever direction they like in the last 2 years which I like.

the best thing of all about CSLL though is the Erasmus year abroad in 3rd year. you'd go to Germany and have the best year of your life, absolutely guaranteed! you choose ALL your own classes there (as easy or as hard as you want to make it for yourself) and you'd have a ball :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

CSLF is my no. 1 choice for next year, what sort of hours are involved, does anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Tacitha

One thing worth knowing is that they did an analysis of leaving cert grades vs success on CSLL courses a few years back, and found that people who didn't score highly in both English and Maths tended to have problems.

Combination courses can be fine; they need a champion among the staff, good class reps, and students who are willing to read up on the structure of the degree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

obl wrote:
    CSLF is my no. 1 choice for next year, what sort of hours are involved, does anyone know?
    Read the threads about the French department before you make up your mind on that. So, so, so many bad stories about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

and whats the general thought on comuter science?

Would a CSLL degree compare with a CS one? I mean, do you do CS and more or do you just do less CS to fit the other parts in?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

you do CS that fits in with the subject. so essentially you do less CS.

Advertisement