Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Washing playing cards

Options
  • 13-04-2006 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭

I have a few hundred plastic playing cards which have been through the wars. They are pretty dirty and a can't bring myself to hand wash each one individually, so does anyone have any suggestions for washing them. Has anyone ever tried sticking cards in a washing machine :confused: I'm really tempted just to chuck the lot in for a wash. Even if a few get damaged I might have enough left to make a deck out of in the end. . .

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 32,846 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Post of the month :D

I have never tried this Mr Flibble so cannot answer your question, but I love the thought of sorting through several packs of playing cards trying to get a full deck. It'd be like World Cup 90 sticker album all over again.

"I am only missing one then I have the full set......."

Cheered me up no end anyhow, good man.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭brianmc

I have a few hundred plastic playing cards which have been through the wars. They are pretty dirty and a can't bring myself to hand wash each one individually, so does anyone have any suggestions for washing them. Has anyone ever tried sticking cards in a washing machine :confused: I'm really tempted just to chuck the lot in for a wash. Even if a few get damaged I might have enough left to make a deck out of in the end. . .

I once heard someone say that thier plastic playing cards are capable of withstanding a wash in the washing machine. I'm not sure that it had been tested though.

I say gamble.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

Push them All-In!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,297 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Try a half pot bet on the turn, if that works, put the rest in the river.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭Mr. Flibble

All in so.

Ill let u know the result in an hour or so. I'll do half in a washing mc and the rest in the dishwasher to cut down the varience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭smurph

Stop can barely write with the tears in my eyes, Could we have a before, and after picture of the cards, Put them in one of those nettings you get for "Delicates", put them on a wool wash, some conditioner, and when they come out check and see if the Queens still have their knickers on:D :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭wayfarer

put the rest in the river.

heh heh heh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

NOoo... ! my guess is the heat generated in the washing machine MAY melt plastic as this as playing cards... which could be very messy! if you can find it somewhere use and electric bath (used by some pro golfers to was golfballs, golfclubs etc.) not sure where one might find one tho...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

make sure you do it on a cold wash. dont want to be melting the cards .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Yeah, too hot and the colours might "make a run".

• Advertisement

lafortezza wrote:

or a 'blue'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

lafortezza wrote:

and sure they'd be a bit flushed after all that running :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

Could be very -EV if they shread and ruin both your washing machine and dishwasher, you wouldn't be the first person to have lost such appliances as a result of gambling but certainly no-one has done it in such a novelty way.
    Down to the dry cleaners with you :)

Mixed results. The dishwasher was a disaster, too hot. They ended up in a big slick melted lump, and weren't even clean at the end of it.

The washing machine worked perfectly. I put them in at 30deg with some non-bio and they came out nice and clean, not one damaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Greatest thread ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

what did you expect from the dishwasher they wash at about 70 degrees.

Yeah, it was steaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

What I want to know is: Did you space out each card into an individual slot, so that the whole dishwasher was full of Cards??
    That would have been an interesting sight.

I had them spaced out on a wire tray thingy. It was too big and so was slightly on tilt and the cards migrated to a short stack at one end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭gerire

/me goes off to add this thread to the wikipedia.

Class Mr. Fibble, Class

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Also should be added to musos poker guide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

[Scots Accent]
    Captain, the pun filter is down to 10%, I dinna think she'll take one more bad pun.
    [/Scots Accent]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

I sent this thread to US playing Card company and they said they haven't laughed so hard in years.

Told me to send Fibble some new KEM decks.

Check your PM

mcaul wrote:
    I sent this thread to US playing Card company and they said they haven't laughed so hard in years.

Check your PM

Thats cool. Thanks Peter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

mcaul wrote:
    Flibble,

Try and keep them out of the dishwasher!

bump for Lenny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

5starpool wrote:
    bump for Lenny

Cheers man, no idea how I missed this first time round. Absolute classic! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Pokerevents

How did I miss this b4. It's top quality entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

How did I miss this b4. It's top quality entertainment.

bump. entertaining:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

lafortezza wrote:

Oh god.

Advertisement