McGuirk on the Late Late Show - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

10-04-2006, 13:43   #1
Stargal

Send a message via MSN to Stargal
McGuirk on the Late Late Show

Was anybody else seriously disturbed to see John McGuirk presented as an 'economist' on the Late Late Show on Friday on the discussion on whether Ireland should consider nuclear power as an alternative to fossil fuels?
Advertisement
10-04-2006, 13:46   #2
Dónal
Category Moderator

Hee hee, I haven't seen him yet to tease him about the make-up.
10-04-2006, 13:56   #3
Agent Smith
Did you enjoy the fuhrer's birthday?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargal
Was anybody else seriously disturbed to see John McGuirk presented as an 'economist' on the Late Late Show on Friday on the discussion on whether Ireland should consider nuclear power as an alternative to fossil fuels?
not disturbed, tbh
10-04-2006, 15:20   #4
Contesticle

Bleah

really?
ahhahaha
why??
if they needed some one with a nice round face stating that "nuclear is good"(which i suppose he did) why choose a student?
the bad thing is that a person like McGuirk will have great chances of becoming someone important...
what a world..
bleah
10-04-2006, 16:03   #5
europerson

I only saw the very end of the discussion, but I programmed my VCR to record the late-night repeat tomorrow, so I'll comment further, once I've seen that.
Advertisement
10-04-2006, 17:31   #6
Beastieboy

Quote:
At least one other person was seriously disturbed by it (or otherwise), i got a text on friday night that read....."that fat f**k that ran in the su pres election was on the late late, he's an awful w@nker".....i don't personally know him except to see.... i suppose its a bit funny really after all that stuff that came up about him during the election that he ended up on the late late as some figure of authority
10-04-2006, 17:55   #7
Comhra

I was forced to watch the whole bloody thing because the person cooking dinner thought it was great. But it was nice to see Cormac in the audience looking all Mr.Suity-like
10-04-2006, 20:43   #8
mcguirkj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastieboy
"that fat f**k that ran in the su pres election was on the late late, he's an awful w@nker".....i
C'mon, I'm not that bad

Though in the spirit of evil, I'm going to take this opportunity to rejoice in the lefties being thwarted again.
10-04-2006, 21:06   #9
DrIndy

Lefties can support nuclear power, I do.

Don't confuse us with Hippies.
Advertisement
10-04-2006, 21:19   #10
Kwekubo

I was watching the Late Late but didn't recognise the name! Will watch again.
10-04-2006, 21:47   #11
D

I too, think that for the foreseeable future nuclear, is the only viable energy source, obviously i expect this to change, but for the moment, it has to be done. When done correctly it is very safe and clean.
10-04-2006, 22:21   #12
ApeXaviour

Quote:
Originally Posted by D
I too, think that for the foreseeable future nuclear, is the only viable energy source, obviously i expect this to change, but for the moment, it has to be done. When done correctly it is very safe and clean.
From a (lefty) physicist's point of view (though I don't claim to speak for all of them), it is the most environmentally friendly practical source of energy currently available, when dealt with correctly. Strongly regulated nuclear fission plants combined with a healthy percentage of wind/solar/hydro sources is the ideal way to tide us over until nuclear fusion becomes realisable (30-70 years depending on research input and luck). Sustainable fusion should be desired by all as it will solve the world's energy needs almost indefinitely. Although it will necessitate tritium production (used in H-bombs). The plant itself or tokamak will of course produce some radioactive bi-products. The reason fusion however is desirable is because these waste products tend not to be very biologically active and have half lives of tens of years (as opposed to fission waste with thousands of years half lives).

I ramble
Anyway, is the late late show repeated at all during the week? (I don't mind if it's 2am in the morning, usually up at that stage anyway). I'd like to see what john had to say on this.
10-04-2006, 22:26   #13
europerson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApeXaviour
Anyway, is the late late show repeated at all during the week? (I don't mind if it's 2am in the morning, usually up at that stage anyway). I'd like to see what john had to say on this.
It's on at 0200 tomorrow morning, i.e., in three and a half hours' time, on RTÉ1.

Last edited by europerson; 10-04-2006 at 22:30. Reason: To add channel and comma.
10-04-2006, 22:35   #14
Barry Aldwell

Quote:
Was anybody else seriously disturbed to see John McGuirk presented as an 'economist' on the Late Late Show on Friday
I was seriously disturbed to see John McGuirk engaging in conversation with that appeared to be a plank, but then I remembered it was the Late Late
10-04-2006, 22:47   #15
Thirdfox

Apex: isn't tritium readily available from seawater? Although I think nuclear fusion is a great way to go power-wise that power can easily be channelled into more destructive uses. Someone with a nuclear fusion bomb can certainly hold the world to ransom.

How's solar energy developing? What is the current efficiency levels for them?

On the actual point - didn't see the programme, can't comment

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion