Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Save YouTube / Google Video as AVI / MPEG..

Options
  • 08-04-2006 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭

For all YouTube addicts...

I tend to download a lot from YouTube but was sick of the pain-in-the-ass FLV format.

But i found an application today which is excellent: just add the URL to your YouTube / Google Video / Grinvi (??) page with the video you wish the download and it will download it to your computer and convert it to either an AVI or MPEG and excellent quality too (depending on the quality of the source of the video of course).

Download the application VDownloader here!

For example, i entered in the URL to this and it downloaded the FLV from YouTube it to the folder VDownloader was in. And immediately converted it to a 16MB avi. Screenshot of converted video here!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 oblian

nice one man!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Jamey

Looks good! How long does it take to convert a video though...cos it's been converting my first one now for about 10 mins :( !!!??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭irishshogun

Excellent program, thanks for the link, it converted a 10 meg file in a minute or so..

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

It converted my 8MB FLV to a 16MB AVI in about half a minute.

Reported on the developer's site in the blog comments it may have problems with some videos though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Finally I can download all those Aine videos and watch them on my phone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭s8n

excellent find

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Very nice find basq, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Excellent find!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

:hugz:
    Big thanks. Now I can just download them instead of waiting for my favourites to load:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭wavin

basquille wrote:
    For all YouTube addicts...

I tend to download a lot from YouTube but was sick of the pain-in-the-ass FLV format.

But i found an application today which is excellent: just add the URL to your YouTube / Google Video / Grinvi (??) page with the video you wish the download and it will download it to your computer and convert it to either an AVI or MPEG and excellent quality too (depending on the quality of the source of the video of course).

Download the application VDownloader here!

For example, i entered in the URL to this and it downloaded the FLV from YouTube it to the folder VDownloader was in. And immediately converted it to a 16MB avi. Screenshot of converted video here!

sounds good.i downloaded it and tried to download a youtube video but get a n error that says "socket error # 10110"

im at work, would a server stop stuff like this working?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

great find basquille :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭bishopLEN

Hi,
    I just spotted this:

When you watch a youtube clip the url will show something like this
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=LXNXgOx0Mm8

To get the clip, copy the part after the = and then add it to the end of this

http://youtube.com/get_video?video_id=

Therefore in this example you would get http://youtube.com/get_video?video_id=LXNXgOx0Mm8

Just copy this new URL into the address bar or your download manager and you will get the .FLV file.
    If I want to convert/play these flash video files I use VLC player. It is great and you can use setting so as NOT to explode the FLV to a bigger AVI(transcode wizard).

Does this thing still work for you guys?

Cause it doesn't for me anymore, atleast with YouTube :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭bishopLEN

CyberGhost wrote:
    Does this thing still work for you guys?

Cause it doesn't for me anymore, atleast with YouTube :/
    You tube have changed the way they handle their video. I spent a good few hours working out the new way. No fruits yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Gosh

See problems here:mad:

Damned YouTube :/

Thanks for info guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

If you're really determined to save it use www.keepvid.com to download the FLV file and then Riva FLV Encoder to convert it to avi/mpg

Guide here: http://www.videohelp.com/forum/archive/t259578.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Excellent Man!, just what i've being looking for

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Amazing find...this is exactly what I needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/2390/

This seems like a good extension for Firefox to do the same jobby... on the YouTube/GoogleVideo/etc site click the box at the bottom of the browser and it'll download it...

Haven't tested it yet but it sounds good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yeah.. but it downloads it in that horrible FLV format.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dampsquid

if you watch a vid on youtube with firefox, it downloads to a cache similar to

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\yvtcd30u.default\Cache

Just browse to that directory when the file is downloaded completely within firefox, find the file last modified, and thats it, change the extension to .flv

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

basquille wrote:
    Yeah.. but it downloads it in that horrible FLV format.
    No worries: VLC plays them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭coolcon

to come back to an old thread - which is best AVI or MPEG and whats the difference? i really should now but anyway :rolleyes: . I might eventually put the file on DVD so which should i use?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

sorry to post necro,

but i found this: http://www.zamzar.com

its absolutely brilliant, it uploads the movie, converts it, then emails it to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Zamzar looks for e-mail address. You might have to upload a video first.

Vixy.net is the easiest, . . . . . . if it's not too busy. :mad:

Advertisement