Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning Lapop to Aldi

Options
  • 06-04-2006 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭

I Bought a gericom lapitop supersonic pci e last year on the 12.05.05. I am having problems and would like to get it replaced or a refund (it cost 1499.99). The problem is it crashes when playing games and i have updated drivers formated the drive. An example playing a game on www.miniclip.com called pizzahot it freeze's lol. I have an old p2 pc and i can play no problem on that (well my son plays it). I bought it for djing and when charging it makes terrible noise. also lately i have to fiddle with the charger to get it to work. the board is messsed up on it too keys have fallen off and its only a matter of time before i lose one..

so i was just wondering what they are like do i return it to store or is there a hotline number????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭popey21

I would say like most manufactures you would have to contact gericoms Tech support and give them a chance to reslove your issues. If they cant resolve your problems over the phone they will probably want to service your machine before refunding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

bring it with the receipt to the store.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I agree with last post, if it's within a year and you have the receipt then bring it back for a refund, it has to do what it says in the tin

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

Ive been thru hell with PCWorld over a laptop, that, according to the main repair guy they use, has a design flaw. He knows this because hes had so many of them to repair, all with the same Power Supply socket fault.

Anyway, It seems that the seller is allowed to take back your laptop and attemp t to repair it on 3 occasions. If the problem occurs a fourth time then they have to replace it. This is what I was told by PCWorld and some others.

http://www.consumerassociation.ie/rights_knowrights.html

What I should have done was just said right I want one that works thank you or I will take you to court. The small claims court is very reasonable to apply to.

Hope that helps

Dave_W

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭dancin

Aldi operate a no quibble return policy. It's for at least a year (some items they sell have a 3 year quarantee, not too sure if it's no quibble though for 3 years).

Just go to the shop with your receipt and the laptop (with as much of the stuff that came with it as you can find), ask for the manager. Explain what is wrong - Highlight the charger making noise and keys falling off.

That should do it. They will probably not be able to replace it, as they don't stock laptops all the time. So you're probably looking at a refund.

Beware though they will refund you in cash (no Visa and Laser has an upper limit I think), so be prepared to make for the bank with your 1500 in your back pocket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭jayo2004

Thanks for the replies. I went to aldi yesterday and was talking to a girl and she said there should be no problem as its within the year and that she would get the manager to contact me. There is a 3 year warranty on the laptop 1st year with them and the last two with the Manufacturer. Still havent recieved a call from him so ill give it till 3 or 4 and contact them again as the 1st warranty is up next month. Ill let ye know how i get on!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Does the whole computer freeze when you're playing the game, or just the game itself?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

TBH. most software freezes/slowness on home computers are related to spyware, with general windows/apps problems a close second.

Charger sounds like a dogy cable, you wiggle it on the back of the laptop, possibly at the charger,

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭jayo2004

The whole computer freeze's. i have formated the hard a few times updated drivers the usual thing. The most annoying thing for me is the noise coming from it when its charging ie thru spearkers or trying to use voip its just to noisy. I dont play that much games on it TBH but i like to have the option. I paid a good few quid for it and not happy with it so im going to bring it back. In fairness the laptop is not slow at all very fast actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

i have the same laptop and it is great, no problems at all with it - Aldi usually are very good with the returns, i reckon they'll give you your 1500 back easily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

If it makes a lot of noise (fans are funning flat out) and crashes a lot in CPU heavy tasks. I'd suspect the heatsink and vents are full of dusk. Get a can of compressed air and blow it through the intake vents. It will blow all the dusk and crud out. I reckon it will run quieter and cooler after that. My Sony did something similar till I sussed that. My Sony is the same chassis as the Gericom P4 Aldi sold a while back. However you have other problems with the charger and keys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

I would be worried about noise when its plugged in. Could possibly be that its not earthed properly!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

wingnut wrote:
    I would be worried about noise when its plugged in. Could possibly be that its not earthed properly!

You are well named. How did you make that "connection" :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭davork

Xennon wrote:
    Ive been thru hell with PCWorld over a laptop, that, according to the main repair guy they use, has a design flaw. He knows this because hes had so many of them to repair, all with the same Power Supply socket fault.

One of my workmates has one (outside warrenty and bought in the US when she was living there 18 months back)... the charger looks okay - green light on the brick etc... but the connection plug at the back of the lappy is flakey... the workaround is to get some weird media cable and charge the thing through that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

The best thing I find is this, I only buy my laptops from PC world and when I buy them I take out the extra insurance they offer. It costs about 300 extra but its great. I have a laptop that I bought nearly 3 years ago for 2000 euro that I've been using for DJing and I had a pint spilt over it two weeks ago. I rang the insurance crowd who were very helpful who sent out a courier to collect the unit, Three days later I get a call from them telling me to go to my nearest PC world and quote some number and claim my new laptop for the original value of my three year old one. Well worth the extra and no fuss either. As the price has dropped recently I could afford the very best in laptops and ended up getting a Sony Vaio and even had a few quid to buy a printer.

Getting back to the Aldi thing, they dont really know much about computers so you should get your money back if they cant resolve it. My mate got one of their laptops before and broke it, He waited til they camout again, bought another one, went home and swapped the motherboards and went back with it!! they gave him a full refund as they had none left..... Suckers!!!!!!!!!

Pc world all the way and the coverplan insurance too :)

Advertisement