Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US: 2X18 - "Dave" [**SPOILERS WITHIN**]

Options
  • 05-04-2006 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43,840 ✭✭✭✭

- WARNING: THIS THREAD WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS FOR THOSE WHO HAVE NOT YET SEEN "DAVE" -

Episode Title: "Dave"
    Airdate: April 5th 2006

Synopsis (from TV.Com):

Libby lends a helping hand to Hurley to support him when he begins to think the island is having a strange effect on him, and Locke's sense of purpose is shaken when the prisoner gives him new information about the hatch.

Next New Episode: 2X19 - "S.O.S" - April 12th 2006

What did you think of "Dave"? 134 votes

0%
    9%
    Karl HungusKdjaCLLizardKingyawnstretchSauronpadraigmyersVoodoo2Franky BoyMatthewthebig[Deleted User]SmileylynzIrishpimpdudelost_rocks 13 votes
    16%
    satchmoIvanpopinfreshAnima[Deleted User]Aquos76garthvfeylyaweemcdmatrimslave1Gone WestDubTonysarahn11Mr RiversDoodlebugRoen:Keith:JPAcoward 22 votes
    20%
    BardkaimeraGoodshapeMr EdigimanTöpherrabbitinlightsSleepydead airduridianStephen Pbestytoxofspeedy21Snake PliskenSherifuKevIRLfightin irishCiaran500qz 27 votes
    26%
    acouswhitetrashBeruthielSilent Assasins10jor elfjonmonkeyfudgeangelofdeathBasqPiZaRR-0mayordenisquazzyStimpyoneBernsChardee MacDennisrobinphJimboo_Jonesdawballzfailsafe 35 votes
    14%
    jArgHADont be at yourself[Deleted User]FaitheirebhoybindybandysprinkleshardCopymonomaniacSplendidpcheadCathystevejazzxtvnutzMetacortexawhir[Deleted User]muletideRyallergliondar 20 votes
    8%
    DEmeant0renergy69WashoutStench BlossomsPeaceTheStrandRoadsixoymicksninebeanrowsyoucancallmealkev117 11 votes
    1%
    baz909GrumPy 2 votes
    1%
    doh.iemuppetkiller 2 votes
    1%
    Smurfpiss[Deleted User] 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,840 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Nice swift title for tonight's episode!

Will it be as good or popular as last week's episode? Last week's typically being regarded as the best of the season so far and also the most discussed episode so far this season with 116 posts and almost 3000 views... it is second only to "The Lost Babe Picture thread" - shocker there! :D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 729 ✭✭✭popinfresh

Locke's sense of purpose is shaken when the prisoner gives him new information about the hatch

Cant wait for that.

And I'm way off here but I have a funny feeling that Henry Gale will turn out to be the leader of the others. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Thought there was another gap this week. Pleasent suprise ^_^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 lost_rocks

i can't wait i think it's gonna be awesome !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

You are meant to vote AFTER you have seen the episode "lost_rocks" :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭PullMyFinger!

What time does it air at?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

I find myself wondering what "Henry" can possibly tell Locke about the hatch that will shake his sense of purpose, aside from the possibility that its all an experiment into human psychology. That would back-up Jack's initial assessment of the situation, and what happened last week with the timer supposedly running down. Apart from that though, I can't really imagine what he's gonna come out with.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,840 ✭✭✭✭Basq

mr_angry wrote:
    Apart from that though, I can't really imagine what he's gonna come out with.
    I wouldn't rely on the wording of the TV.com synopsis - they always make even the littlest details sound mucho-dramatic! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭danbhala

i want it i want it i want it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

What time does it air at?

9/8c although I didn't watch it because I just can't stand that many ads. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭thewools

7/10

Not much happened however could see the Libby story come a mile away....no doubt there is abigger picture to her now!! not enough detail into the "Henry" story would have liked to see them get abit more info from him!! And is "Henry" tying to trcik Locke....mmmmmm maybe???

However another hurley classic....cracks me up so he does!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Some memorable quotes, (as best i remember )
    Sawyer to Hurley: 'I have enough food to open up a minimart, think Sayids looking for a job?"
    Sawyer to Kate: 'Don't you have an adventure to get to, I hear timmy falling down a well over that way.'
    Good old Sawyer :D:D

Sawyer getting beat up by Hurley was funny, it was like a polar bear against a bunny rabbit :D
    Will Henrys assertion shake Lockes faith? or is Henry lying?
    They could have used the 'It was all a dream' way out for Lost, that was their chance and they blew it.
    Didn't see the twist with Libby at the end coming, more questions.

a 7.5 for me

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 244 ✭✭tails2

id agree. ill give it a 7/10

not much to go overly mad about in this ep.

i could see the whole
    imaginary friend thing
    a mile away. as for the drop, nothing major either. they seem to be answering a lot of fans questions in this one though. just small but popular questions.

i did like how they threw the whole
    your in a coma, this is all in your head
    thing in there. tha twas great. as for the rest of the ep. i dont think they are using the characters as good as before. not much happening with sayid or kate or jack or sawyer or charlie. they are the best characters.
    aww well. another break now. at least it didnt leave it on a big cliffhanger for a few weeks anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

poor episode,

the food thing really bugged me, they were wasting all that food before they even knew there was a supply drop, why not just give the food to the others...anyways the dave character was nice but he was obviously an imaginary character(i don't even think the writers really tried to hide that) and waht was nice was the turn around on the island the imaginary character telling hurley he s imagining things, and trying to get him to commit suicide was I believe an attempt by dharma to kill off hurley because he's carrying the curse of the numbers with him,
    but it seems just as likely that Libby is interested in Hurley for the same reason, the numbers, so possibly there are two fractions at war on the island for control of the losties,

libby = good dharma,
    dave = bad dharna

the henry gale comment that god can't see the island just as the rest of the world can't see the island is an indication that they are perhaps in hell(we've had many mentions of cerebus - the guardian of the dooway to hell) or some kinda fabricated reality or purgatory created by the di,
    it seems that the one major objective of the di is the spirtual advancement/or next evolutionary step for human being (read restroring lost sun and z2 numbers threads on fuselage) then this island would make some sense, however henry gales is currently not adding up, if he's from dharma who are controlling everything then the only logic is that he is testing lockes faith, i.e that button does nothing,are you still going to believe in it and push it?
    perhaps that unskakable kinda faith is exactly what dhama need for their team.....
    the theme of gatewyas i think is huge, jins father owned the seoul gateway hotel in korea and he is obviously tied in with dharma so my new offical theory is that dharma are invovled in retrieving lost souls from hell or purgatory or helping souls move from one stage to the next? this would explain why the cerebus is guarding the area where magnus hanso is buried?
    I've also read the magnus hanso thread on the fuselage and it links magnus back to a priest who was the keeper to the box of secrets which contained everlasting life so this also ties in with the idea of raisnig the dead or retreiving souls from limbo.....
    oh its time lunch...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

Nyah, average enough episode but I guess after Lockdown they had to throw in a quieter flashback ep.

Some fairly good character development on Hurley's part but I can't understand why he hasn't been seeing Dave since the start of LOST - surely he suffers from schizophrenia and he hasn't been on medication for this since he arrived on the island (when he asked Sawyer for the meds, Sawyer had not heard of that drug before). It just seemed a bit sudden that this imaginary friend suddenly pops up with no prior indications that Hurley has such hallucinations.

Was good to see Sawyer getting whooped by Hurley.

I'll give it a 6
    stevejazzx wrote:
    the theme of gatewyas i think is huge, jins father owned the seoul gateway hotel in korea and he is obviously tied in with dharma so my new offical theory is that dharma are invovled in retrieving lost souls from hell or purgatory or helping souls move from one stage to the next? this would explain why the cerebus is guarding the area where magnus hanso is buried?

steve if your right i'll eat my hat!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I actually thought it was an excellent episode - but then again I not one of those people who is watching the show just for the sake of the mysteries.

The character interaction was great and we got to learn a lot about Hurley and Libby.

I don't subscribe to the notion that Dharma are controlling things - it just doesn't make any sense - I feel Dharma are as much a victim as the rest of the people on the island.

Henry is obviously lying and lying and lying and I don't think he is done lying despite what he says. Even as Sayid caught him lie after lie he kept on lying - Daneille said he would lie for a long time and he is.

I don't think we can guess his motives from what we have seen up to this point but it is obvious that he knows the "Others" etc. It is also interesting that Kate never told anyone about the false beard etc as Anna still used it as a reference.

Hyzepher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

8/10.

As with others, saw the whole Dave thing shortly into it but it was an interesting insight into Hurley imo.

Some vg lines from Sawyer indeed. *chuckle*

Thought the whole island isn't real thing a bit out there tbh but really dunno what to think of Libby now.
    In the same hospital as Hurley. wtf?

Hard to follow Lockedown I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

Hyzepher wrote:

I don't subscribe to the notion that Dharma are controlling things - it just doesn't make any sense - I feel Dharma are as much a victim as the rest of the people on the island.

Hyzepher

if thye're not controlling things, who is? who is responsible for the supply drop, who created the electromagnetic field, obviously dharma! they've said they are studying electromagnetism, alos juxtapositional eugenics (the placement of people or groups of people in situation and circumstances indusive to procreation, the map also clearly underlines further studies of the genetic modification of polar bears and even weather programs etc, the name dharma is branded onto everything on the island even sharks!!!! they know all the losties names...they set up bases on the island for monitorisation, they've been on the island for over 20 years at least...and you don't think they're controlling everything??

possibly the island s mysterious forces is something they can't control, but the losties, without doubt!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Other than the stuff from Henry Gale there was nothing to write home about in this one. 5/10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Splendid

Is Eko building a church? Is he letting Charlie help him a form of penance?

I think Libby is playing Hurley, don't know why, it's just at the end Hurley asks do you think i can change? She says yes, but then pulls a face as if the thought of Hurley repulses her.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Dundalk Online

i swear... if this is all hurley's dream i will go faking mental.. i will travel to america and shoot JJ Abrams stone dead.

If this is anyone's dream or something silly like that I will hunt and kill all people involved in Lost...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Dundalk Online

On a lighter note...

Lost IS airing again next week... "Wednesday, April 12 at 9/8c
    'S.O.S.'" thats taken from ABC.com... check it yourself...

I agree with above poster.. i think Ecko is building a church, getting charlie involved because he thought it would be a good idea.

The bit about (ep19 spoiler)>>> Our guys hiking into the jungle to trade with the others will be a very good storyline<<<

I thought the episode was good, but it would have been nice to have seen more of our friend henry. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Sauron

i swear... if this is all hurley's dream i will go faking mental..

I think the conclusion reached at the end of the episode was that it was not Hurley's dream or anything like that.. The common consensus is that the writers brought that into this episode in answer to such theories,for one, just to tease them a bit, but the overall purpose was to rubbish them.

I liked this episode actually, though I, like most, figured out the Dave thing even during the basketball game. In retrospect it probably was deliberate, for whatever reason.

Some classic Sawyer moments as well...

I enjoyed the interrogation of the prisoner formerly known as Henry Gale.

I didn't see the last shot of Libby coming tbh..I guess I never thought about it, but it'll surely provide for some interesting future backstories.

Overall, I was satisfied with this ep... looking forward to the next one.. whenever it is..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭monomaniac

Agree with everything that's been said so far - lack of Henry material very disappointing.

SO did Hurley imagine the slipper and Dave throwing the rock at him? Did Jack imagine seeing his father walking through the jungle? Did Kate and Sawyer see the horse that once saved Kate's life? Did Shannon and Sayid imagine seeing Walt? Did Sawyer imagine he heard voices saying "It'll come back around". The list could probably go on.

If it turns out that Libby was obssessed with Hurley and followed him to Australia and back then I'll be pretty disappointed. I'm hoping she'll play a part in the bigger picture. It can't just be another of those lost cross-overs.

I do reckon
    a) henry allowed himself to be captured on purpose.
    b) he entered the numbers - he definitely entered them after the countdown hit zero but I don't think all the hyrogliphics appeared up.

Trailers for next week look good.
    Locke's trying to remember the map and Jack's gone and crossed the line. Also Henry knows of Walt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I would have thought someone would have already suggested this but here goes. Dave, is an other. He has the power of astral projection, in the way Walt has, and used this to project himself into Hurley's mind at the hospital. The Dave that Hurley sees on the island could be a mix of real and projections. Obviously a projection atthe end where he jumps, but real when he threw rocks at him.

Anyway that's my theory, it kind of came to me as I was watching it and realised Dave wasn't in the hospital.
    Splendid wrote:
    I think Libby is playing Hurley, don't know why, it's just at the end Hurley asks do you think i can change? She says yes, but then pulls a face as if the thought of Hurley repulses her.
    I noticed that aswell. Kind of an evil villain 'I have you now Mr. Bond' look on her face. There's more to her for sure, which is good.

Henry Gale scenes, very dissappointing. Not nearly enough here. Hard to tell if he's lieing about the countdown though, it could be a test of Locke's resolve. He did seem scared of the 'Leader' though, who ever it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Great episode I thought. I didn't expect much, if any, new info on Henry and then for him to confess he was an other was pretty cool. I like the way he said Beardy wasn't important. This leaves me to believe that "the others" are really not in control of the situation as a whole.

Also the God comment Henry made is very interesting. Although I don't think the writers are going to foreshadow something as big as if the island is in another reality or heaven/hell/etc, in just one sentence.

9/10 for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

maybe the 'other formerly known as Henry Gale' believes he is in some kind of hell or limbo, which god can not see, and is so afraid of telling the truth about who is really in charge, that would let himself be shot by Sayid rather than telling him how many others there are out there..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Smurfpiss

that was worse than the charlie heroin episode. and it gets a two from me.
    the most cliched hack written crap i have ever watched. really disappointed with and quite frankly, pissed off.
    roll on next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

Not a bad episode. It was funny to see Hurley open a can of whup-ass on Sawyer. So who was projecting the images of Dave into Hurley's mind? And why make him kill himself? Didn't see the Libby bit at the end coming. She probably won't get a flashback episode this season cos too much would be revealed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭Metacortex

I give it about a 6/10.

It was nice to get some more background on Hurley and why he eats constantly because he blames himself for the accident.
    Im getting very curious about Libby, she has been a little too non descript since the start of the season.

The lack of Gale this week was disappointing. It was nice to see Sayid punch some holes in his constant lying.
    I don't like the idea that the whole thing could be a dream. Its a bit of a cop out but i don't see them going in that direction with the show.

Advertisement