Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best mp3 player for OS X

Options
  • 31-03-2006 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭

Don't like iTunes, Audion and the few others i've tried on OS X. Was a WinAmp user back in my Windoze days. Can someone recommend an alternative ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

come on lads and lassies. someone must have even ONE suggestion for me ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

Vlc?

Vlc?

you know what ? that answer was right in front of my nose yet I didnt see it. I have had VLC installed since I got my mac a few months aga yet never realised it played audio !!!

Perfect for the job. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

\o/

i'm important

/me thrusts

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

m_stan wrote:
    Was a WinAmp user back in my Windoze days.

So go use Windows again !! :confused:

ZEN

• Advertisement

ZENER wrote:
    So go use Windows again !! :confused:

ZEN

I mentioned this as context so you could see the type of app I liked on windows, and so anyone with an intention of replying with a helpful response might use this as a way to recommend a similarly good os x based program.

Thanks for your most useful and productive comment.

If you preferred Windows apps why did you change to Mac ??

This is like someone going to a Chinese restaurant and complaining that there's no Big Macs (no pun intended) for sale.

Why anyone would want to use VLC for playing MP3s is beyond me, it's the most unstable unpolished apps there is on the Mac.

You could of course try MacAmp

ZEN

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

why don't you like itunes?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭ciaranr

I agree with original poster, I too
    1. have fond memories of winamp,
    2. have not yet found anything as nice to use,
    3. have chosen to use mac for my own reasons and
    4. will check out macamp
    but the rest of ye should respect the fact that maybe we're all not as strict mac-monks as ye. Come on, in general give the rivalry thing a break.

Back to topic, VLC is a good music player, it just depends on your opinion. Try running iTunes on a 500 Mhz Pentium II anyone before claiming its superiority from the hilltops. It's like saying diesel is a superior fuel to petrol. To someone who uses a bicycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭sturgo

Winamp and Soundforge are the only 2 programes I miss using on the PC. iTunes is has a good GUI, but VLC player has far greater compatibility with diffrent file types such as .ogg and .flac. I don't think either are particularly good programs, but I end up having to use iTunes.

I'd day write to your local TD and lobby for Wimamp on the Mac!:D

• Advertisement

I like Winamp because:

It's small and fast. It has a nice simple interface. It just plays your files - it doesn't try to re-organise your directory structure. It's skinnable.

The facts that I like WinAmp is not a good reason to go back to Windows as some have suggested. I think the OS X / Windows rivalry has gone a little far in those people.

I don't like iTunes because:
    I don't buy music online and don't want to know about the latest offers in the iTunes Store. I don't like it's interface. When I pointed it at my music collection, it only worked with some of the files and somehow couldn't find some of the playlists. It moved some of my files around into different directories which is fine if you want to stick with the iTunes interface but not if you want to leave open the option of changing players, which I do.

Haven't tried MacAmp yet. So far VLC wins it for me even though the interface is very bland and it's not being developed for PowerPC based macs any longer.

m_stan wrote:
    The facts that I like WinAmp is not a good reason to go back to Windows as some have suggested. I think the OS X / Windows rivalry has gone a little far in those people.

Nothing whatsoever to do with Mac Advocacy. Merely saying that if you were happy with Windows apps then why did you move in the first place ? If it ain't broke don't fix it so to speak.
    I don't like iTunes because:
    I don't buy music online and don't want to know about the latest offers in the iTunes Store. I don't like it's interface. When I pointed it at my music collection, it only worked with some of the files and somehow couldn't find some of the playlists. It moved some of my files around into different directories which is fine if you want to stick with the iTunes interface but not if you want to leave open the option of changing players, which I do.

I suggest you read the instructions for iTunes then. You can choose not to have iTunes move or alter your files but merely create a list in the iTunes music folder. This leaves you free to use whatever other app you like for playing your music from its original directory. Also iTunes can play .ogg files too. As for WMA . . well AAC is better ?!

Musicmatch Jukebox used to be made for OS X, didn't like it myself but I'm sure it's obtainable from somewhere.

Also what about Quicktime ? It can be used as a simple player.

ZEN

On a more helpful note try these options :

DJ Mac

AirWhisper

Plenty more here !!

ZEN

ZENER wrote:
    On a more helpful note try these options :

DJ Mac

AirWhisper

Plenty more here !!

ZEN

Thanks - will give these a blast also.

While I'm at it, do you have any suggestions for software that can rip audio from DVD, avi etc ? I'm playing around with GarageBand and want to add some samples from a range of different sources. *edit* I've found a few already - eg Audio Hijack Pro, but interested in your personal experiences.

Thanks in advance for all the tips.

Advertisement