Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Wire

Options
  • 29-03-2006 7:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭

Has any one seen this, what's it like? Should I aquire it, or pass it up? I had a look on the HBO site, but it's not all that informative.

John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭seabee

Get it!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Without a doubt you should get it. I've been singing this show's praises for years on these forums and I think I've converted a few.

Each season takes one investigation and deals with it in full - from beginning to end. It's dealt with in a very realistic manner (for TV) and it's certainly not a given that the criminals will lose.

What really sets it aside though, apart from that, is that it spends an near equal time showing the criminals and developing their characters. We get to understand, and even like, them as much as the cops investigating despite their sometimes violent proclivities.

Closest comparison is "The Shield" but "The Wire" is less, in a sense, flashy (although equally gritty). It's more down-to-earth in a jarring, grab-you-by-your-lapels way. Featues some great great characters and storylines. Utter 100% recommendation on all three seasons aired so far. Watch watch watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Brilliant show,well worth buying...even if HBO boxsets are a little expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

tvnutz wrote:
    Brilliant show,well worth buying...even if HBO boxsets are a little expensive.

Man only suckers buy DVD's these days...

Peace wrote:
    Man only suckers buy DVD's these days...

lol,i find I dont have the time to get an entire season of my cousins,especially since there aren't many cousins seeding on old cousin files and it may take days if not longer for your cousins to come up with every single episode of the Wire :)

Excuse all the cousin references but I don't want to,you know,be a bad boy and break the rules.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Beg, borrow or steal it; hell even buy it. If you liked the Shield then this will blow you out of the water. What get's me about it is just how believable it actually is...we'd all love to think that there's hard ass characters like Mackey and co roaming the streets of LA, but how believable is it? The characters in the Wire however (both crooks and cops) are totally believable...at times it can feel like a fly on the wall documentary of sorts.

I had the cousins reissue them, and have only watched S1 and S2; have S3 sitting waiting until I'm short of stuff after the run of 24 and a few other things finish up...I blasted my way through the first 2 seasons over a course of 3 weeks...kind of like a good book in that there was trouble putting it down, as it were.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

Wertz wrote:
    Beg, borrow or steal it; hell even buy it.

Do it!You wont regret it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Cool, I got the first 2 seasons.... have yet to watch it!

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Too busy with Celebrity Jigs and Reels eh? ;)

Yes.... that and Prision Break, Arrested Development, Hustle, Apprentice UK, Sopranos, My Name is Earl, CSI, CSI Miami, CSI NY...... all the other programmes I watch, oh and work ;)

John

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Just finished S3 of the wire, and it is in my opinion the best TV ever made.

If you want a long running, adult, stimulating, intelligent story then the wire has it for you. Season 3 presents the 'war on drugs' to the viewer in a completely unpatronising way and says - "there ya go make up your own mind".

I watched it on FX (on sky) - only slight downer no widescreen, but then you can't have everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

I just came upon the programme on TG4 a couple of weeks ago. Any idea what series they are showing? I must get all of it. Best thing I've seen in ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

homah_7ft wrote:
    I just came upon the programme on TG4 a couple of weeks ago. Any idea what series they are showing? I must get all of it. Best thing I've seen in ages.

Series 2 is on TG4 atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

Thanks for the quick reply. I will look into getting series one now :)

I still haven't watched it, working my way through Numb3rs.

John

Havn't seen numbers,any good?

Anyway,when you are finished do get the Wire because its just brilliant,plain and simple :)

I have it, just haven't watched it.... there's eh... a bit of a back log :)

John

Lump wrote:
    I have it, just haven't watched it.... there's eh... a bit of a back log :)

John

lol I know the feeling :D

The Dominic West for Joker campaign starts here.

Advertisement