Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grants for Green Energy Announced

Options
  • 27-03-2006 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

The govt has announced 27 million euro of grants for homes with green energy sources, like heatpumps, wood pellets boilers and solar panels.
    More details to follow.................

Regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Cuauhtemoc

According to the Irish times they are as follows...

€4200 - Wood chip or Pellet boiler.
    €1100 - Wood Chip or Pellet Stoves.

€4000 - €6500 for Geothermal heat pumps (underground or air)

€300 per Square metre for solar panels up to 12 Square Metres

27 million over a five year period. i havn't done the math but doesn't seem like much per year. They could always increase it at a later date of course.

C.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭slayer91

Available grants:

Heat Pump - Horizontal Ground Collector €4,300
    Heat Pump - Vertical Ground Collector €6,500
    Heat Pump - Water (well) to Water €4,300
    Heat Pump – Air Source €4,000

Wood Chip or Pellet Stove €1,100
    Wood Chip or Pellet Stove with Integral Boiler €1,800
    Wood Chip or Pellet Boiler €4,200

Nothing for Wind!!!

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭mrs aol

Where can I get an application form and more info?

This is fantastic news, we're just about to build a house with wood pellet stove and solar panels.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Eve1

Is there anything for solar?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭mrs aol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭pan

www.sei.ie is admistrering the scheme.

It's called the Greener home Scheme, see here;
    http://www.sei.ie/index.asp?locID=756&docID=-1

But the "sei" website is very slow today :(
    (maybe it's overloaded)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Pataman

Renewable energy grants for households
    Mark Brennock, Chief Political Correspondent
    Noel Dempsey: by its final year, it is expected to save energy equivalent to 54,000 barrels of oil per annum and 23,000 tonnes of Co2 per annum

Minister for Communications, Marine and Natural Resources, Noel Dempsey has initiated a major grants scheme to encourage householders to convert their homes to use renewable heat technologies.

Homeowners will receive grants worth several thousand euro towards the purchase of wood chip stoves and boilers, solar energy panels and pumps for collecting underground heat. These would be to replace conventional non-renewable energy sources.

Up to Eur 27 million will be spent on the scheme, which was agreed in last year's budget. It is part of a broader scheme providing Eur 65 million for conversion to renewable energy in homes, businesses and transport.

It will operate over a five-year period and according to the department could convert 10,100 homes to the use of renewable energy.

The "Greener Homes" scheme will allow individual householders receive some Eur 4,200 if they are installing wood chip or pellet boilers, Eur 1,100 for wood chip or pellet stoves, Eur 4,000 to Eur 6, 500 for pumps designed to use energy from soil or air, and Eur 300 per square metre for solar panels, up to a limit of 12 square metres.

Mr Dempsey said yesterday that by its final year, it is expected to save energy equivalent to 54,000 barrels of oil per annum and 23,000 tonnes of Co2 per annum.

"This is the equivalent to meeting 100 per cent of the heating needs of 7,100 homes from renewable energy, or removing 6,700 cars off the road." Mr Dempsey said yesterday that despite the low running costs of renewable energy systems, the cost of equipment and installation had put many people off.

"This scheme recognises the contribution that individual householders want to make in reducing energy demand, and will provide concrete support for them to make the switch to low cost, low emission heating systems."

He said he had been very impressed since becoming Minister with the number of households who wanted to play a part in improving the environment.

"This scheme recognises the contribution that individual householders want to make in reducing energy demand, and will provide concrete support for them to make the switch to low cost, low emission heating systems," he said.

There had been almost 1,200 inquiries to his department since the scheme was first mooted from members of the public and renewable energy suppliers.

Those who have already made inquiries will now be sent details by post or e-mail.
    The package will also provide funding for a wood chip/pellet boiler programme for small to medium scale enterprises, Combined Heat and Power (a process in which electricity is generated on-site and the heat from that generation process is captured and also used), and a biofuels capital grants programme to underpin a Eur 205 million excise relief programme.

Details of the scheme and application forms are available on the Sustainable Energy Ireland (SEI) website (www.sei.ie) from today.

slayer91 wrote:
    Available grants:

Nothing for Wind!!!

Regards

Try Immodium:D

Sorry couldn't resist

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭twinkletoes

So delighted that there's a grant now but what about those who've already forked out for ground source heat pump etc...????!!!Has anyone heard anything about the government re-imbursing people??Or is that major wishful thinking??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Govt reimbursing people? hahahahaha what a joke.
    I say just take the pain and remember at the next election.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

Cuauhtemoc wrote:
    According to the Irish times they are as follows...

€4200 - Wood chip or Pellet boiler.
    €1100 - Wood Chip or Pellet Stoves.

€4000 - €6500 for Geothermal heat pumps (underground or air)

€300 per Square metre for solar panels up to 12 Square Metres

This is brilliant news! Any idea of the total cost of an average wood pellet system?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Hi
    Has anyone out there ever built a masonry stove and if so how effwctive are they. BTW, i dont see them listed for the new renewable grants.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

So delighted that there's a grant now but what about those who've already forked out for ground source heat pump etc...????!!!Has anyone heard anything about the government re-imbursing people??Or is that major wishful thinking??

No. Given the UK Govs policy, I thought most people would've thought "yes, that's bound to happen here soon" and waited...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi twinkletoes,

Sorry the grants can't be back dated, which is a shame because it's the people who took the chances early on who inspired so many to even look at alternative energy.

Hi Loobz,

Stoves start at around €2,000.00, Stoves with integrated boilers start at around €3,900.00 and 20 kw boilers around €5,700.00.

A lot depends on the make, model, output and the installation costs such as flues, labour etc, there is a quality assurance scheme being put in place although all suppliers / installers are not obliged to sign up to it.

Hi babybuilder,

The emphasis is on the type of fuel used and the renewable aspect, the Biofires were not taken into consideration as far as I know.

Hi NoelRock,

Many did wait but mainly since the budget, before that a lot of people invested in the tecnology even before the UK grants came into being.

I expect our Government will be seeking a payback by way of introducing the Carbon Tax that they had to pass on because they had no real strategy in place similar to most European Governments.

I think we can all expect interesting times ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭babybuilder

The emphasis is on the type of fuel used and the renewable aspect, the Biofires were not taken into consideration as far as I know.

Hi rooferpete

Fuel used is wood usually seasoned naturally and is carbon neutral. I think that these stoves have been used for hundreds of years and have a very high efficiency. Biofires are one of a few different providers. Indeed, interesting times ahead

Just thinking, how long is the hose Balcas use to fill your hopper(oh the sexual innuendo), would it stretch to the back of a house? Also where would I find out about the bunker system of storage?

Hi,

I believe the information is on the Balcas web site, if not I will have to find it because I had it here.

There are a few methods available for storage, I am working on another two cost efficient systems with other people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Tobi2

:mad: :(

Hi,

The distance from the back of the truck is 65'.

Thanks for the reply. Any ideas where i might find out about the underground method of storage?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭beolight

just curious

i wonder if the value of the grant being offered is equal to the VAT gained on the sale of these items

can someone give approximate costs of each system for standard size new build 2400 sq ft??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Nordic

As anyone who bothers to look at my previous posts can see, as I predicted the moaners would still be on this forum if and when Grants came out. So see if you can still manage to moan about this one.

Renewable Grants Solar Giveaway.
    We are about to announce this Giveaway to celebrate the announcement of the Grant.All we are waiting for is registration of our solar panels, which is currently being processed to be put on the register. We have all the relevant Certs etc, so it is just processing time on the part of SEI, who are now understandably very busy, that will delay registration, but it should only be a matter of weeks, at most, away.

Here's the math, worked out for you.
    Now see if you can still find something to moan about too. By the way if the moderators or anyone else claims it's advertising, feel free to take my post down off the Net...and lose out - up to you!

Giveaway Offer consists of:
    4 evacuated tube (most efficient) Solar Panel Offer:
    4 panels -Normal price €1200 each = €4,800 + VAT.
    Total including VAT @21% = €5,808.

First 50 Customers pay €2,856 + VAT = €3,455.76.
    Panel size = 1.7m x 1.4m approx each = 2.38m² x €300 = 9.52m² x €300= €714 per panel = Total Grant of €2856. Customer ends up just paying the VAT which I'm on record as saying should be Zero-rated for renewables. Net cost to Customer €0.00 + €599.76 VAT, which goes straight to the VAT Man.

Beat that!

Heat pumps (with Grants), domestic hot water tanks and Solar controllers also available if required (no obligation).

Once all of our panels are on SEI's list which suddenly became a Register, you can claim your Grant, so this offer will only be open to the first 50 Customers.

Release date will be as soon as SEI have managed to get the product submission (which includes the relevant Certs) and get it posted on their Register.

Watch National Press for release date.

We won't be checking Boards site for reply messages so e-mail info@nordic-geothermal.com, if you have any queries.

Even without the Grant this is less than half price.
    9.52m² for €3,455.76 incl. VAT.
    Surface Power's website currently shows 7m² for €6999 incl. VAT (only 73% of the product for well over twice the price) - see link:
    http://www.surfacepower.com/hwatr_solutions.html

... and you still have the €2,856 Grant to come back against our price(unless SEI care to object)!!!

Hope this finally makes everyone happy!

Hi Beo,

I'm sure Nordic can back me up on this a lot of suppliers / installers did point out the vat element should be zero rated for renewables.

My understanding is there would have had to be a lot of co-operation between government depatments including the revenue commissioners.

The grant does more than cover the vat element in most of the sectors, I believe Solar took a Big Hit with the grant limits compared to the rest of the technology.

Like Nordic we have not increased our prices in fact two of our Pellet Stoves (room heaters) have come down in price from the manufacturer which has been passed on to the customer.

If you do the basic math the grant should make up the difference between the cost of a good pellet boiler and a condensing oil boiler.

Even if you don't install a storage tank to buy pellet fuel in bulk you can still buy bagged fuel at €250.00 per tonne, 2 tonnes is equal in heat output to 1,000 litres of oil.

The only people who are really investing in their heating system with the grant are the people who are changing from oil or gas because their material and labour cost for the installation will be higher due to removing the existing boiler and changing pipe work to suit the new boiler system.

How about a word of thanks to all the people who invested before any grants were announced ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭gonk

Seems just as Ireland introduces these grants, the UK is doing away with them:

http://news.independent.co.uk/environment/article355343.ece

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

If you actually read the article, rather than the alarmist and inaccurate headline, it seems it's less of a 'doing away with them' as a 'massive administrative cock-up in introducing a replacement scheme'.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Cuauhtemoc

Just in reply to Nordics post.(Sounds great btw just need to compare all the options though).

In the comparison with Surface power offer you linked they include all this stuff below with their offer. Now obviously the nuts and bolts and dvd etc don't cost much. But how much would the rest of it set me back?
    They also claim there tubes have a 20% higher efficiency than standard ones. Therefore i suppose a smaller collector area(Hmm penalised on the grant for a more efficient system. Assuming it is more efficient that is and they become registered for grants.)
    Do you have the specs for yours?

It sounds great but i'd like to see some more detail on the tubes first. Are they guaranteed etc.

7 sqm Collector Area
    5 Quantity of Panels
    1 x 300 L Solar Water Tank
    1 x Auto Control System
    inc pump system
    Inc regulation
    Inc programmable control
    Inc overheat protection
    1 x Inc anti-frost protection
    1 x Expansion chamber
    1 x Anti-return valve
    1 x Tank pressure release valve
    1 x Collector venting valve
    1 x Solar tank base
    Option Mounting system, (roof, wall, ground)
    1 x Collection filling junction
    1 x Electronic overheat valve
    1 x Assorted plumbing pack
    1 x Assorted nut & bolt pack
    1 x Assorted brackets & rawlplug pack
    1 x Full instruction manual
    1 x Full DVD (from delivery to installation & use)
    5 Year Warranty

Regards,

C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Nordic

This offer is available for every customer existing or new build to connect to their tank. The cost to the customer is Eur529 (VAT).

I can't see where we said something about 20% more efficient?? I meant tubes are more efficient than flat panels. With our offer if you want additional panels to make up the full 12m² available Grant amount (anothertwo panels) you can have them at the same price - Eur630 + VAT each. we only settled on four since the majority of people may not want, require or have space for 6 panels.

Collector area is 8.4m² (20% more than surface power - maybe this is where you are getting 20%).

This is a package that includes both the slate/tile roof fixing kit and a stainless steel stand for mounting on a flat roof. These are not "options" - they come as standard.

To compare to the list noted IFyou need these items here are the prices:
    A controller is Eur110 + VAT.
    200L high-pressure tank is Eur950 + VAT.
    300L high-pressure tank is Eur950 + VAT.
    All of the other bits and bobs noted are less than Eur200.

So if you bought all the "Surface Power" bits should you need them it would cost you about Eur1,600 incl VAT.
    But you'd have 20% more collector area and save the difference. You total would be about Eur2100 incl the "panel offer VAT" and the other bits if required.

So look at it this way. Ask Surface Power for the price for additional panels to get the 20% more collector area to be the same as ours, take Eur1060 + VAT off for the tanks and see what you pay for the same amount of solar collector.

And Our panels have a 10 year warranty.

By all means do your shopping around, tell them what you're being offered and watch them look at you as if you're trying to pull a fast one.

It's simple math and it will stand up to any scrutiny. Don't get me wrong, we're not targetting Surface Power in any way. They were only given as an example. Surface Power probably offer a very good service. We are simply offering solar panels to the public at Rock Bottom prices. Spend more somewhere else if you wish. I hope this clears up any confsuion as to what we are offering here.

• Advertisement
Advertisement