Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1E2 Exam

Options
  • 11-03-2006 1:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭

Anyone else sitting it?
    any tips?
    any one have a copy os last years solutions?
    anyone have any links to Vectors notes, it is there that my problems lie.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Go to the maths help sessions.

wrt vectors, as I recall the "least squares" vector thing comes up every year, and in the supllimentals, and is exactly the same as what donal did in class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭Sandals

thanks, yeah I can do that one it looks pretty handy, don't get some of the simpler vector stuff though like,
    how do you find a vector perpendicular/parallel to a given vector.

I can do the projections all right,

I won't be able to make that session, theres only one right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭patzer117

I think he's staying back a little later after the help session for questions cause MSISS have an exam at that time too. Do you know what chapters in the book are covered cause I need to study the book properly too.

Patzer

ouch that sucks, so you have 3 exams that day?

no I don't have the book!

DO you know how much q's will be on the exam i am hoping for 2 prob 2 logic and 1 vectors

When i was in first year, there where two maths help sessions a week, durign lunch break.

As for the book
    Chapters 1-4, Some parts of Chapter 6, chapet 7, and parts of chapter 9.
    As always courses change every year, Between first and second year you cover pretty much the whole book, so some topics may have been added since I did the course.

As for finding a perpendicular (orthogonal) vector, its the cross product of two vectors.

Now if you're asked a question like U = (a1,b1,c1) z = (a2,b2,c3) find a vector orthogonal to z, it's just U - Proj of U onto z.

Ps, get the book (Anton) Donal follows it very closely.

• Advertisement

Thanks Liouville, that's my reading for tomorrow then. 3 exams monday is a bit of a pain alright. The economics isn't too bad, but you have to study for it still which takes valuable time away from maths... Maths 1 hopefully will be a walk in the park (I say that without having looked at what is involved)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

dont forget that we did LU decomposition after xmas alwell and he was pretty clear when me and a friend asked him if it was on the exam that everything after xmas should be coming up

what a brutal paper, brutal.

what the hell is PLU?
    why did i get them all wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

Sandals wrote:
    what the hell is PLU?
    I'm guessing P is a permutation matrix, L is the lower triangular matrix and U is the upper triangular matrix...?

Sandals wrote:
    what a brutal paper, brutal.

what the hell is PLU?
    why did i get them all wrong?

LOL, I messed up the LU bit and didn't even attempt PLU. Discrete maths didn't work for me, and i got a really strange answer for the orthogonal thingy. Probability was a sinch though. I reckon 30-35%, a pass if i'm lucky. Ugh.

• Advertisement

End of year exam can count for 100% of you're final mark, if thats your better grade.

Advertisement