How to pronounce girls name Aoibhe - Page 2 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

11-03-2006, 02:13   #16
Míshásta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleen1
Thanks for your replies everyone but if you think if the name Aoibheann, where I live (south Ireland) this is pronounced at Av-een, thats how I thought Aoibhe would be Ava.
Any ideas
Where is south Ireland?

Aoibheann is pronounced "Eevan".

I very much doubt if it's pronounced 'Av-een' in any dialect.

The letters 'aoi' at the beginning of an Irish language word are pronounced something like 'ee' in English.

I would be interested to know in which dialect it is pronounced differently.
Advertisement
11-03-2006, 02:16   #17
Hal1

You pronounce it 'E-fah' like
11-03-2006, 03:54   #18
JaysusMacfeck

Aoibhe is pronounced ee-vah. Never in my life have I heard it pronounced "Avah". Why not just use an British name, job done.
11-03-2006, 04:30   #19
Willymuncher

I'd go for ee-vah too, I don't see how it could be pronounced ava at all....seems totally out of it.
13-03-2006, 10:19   #20
Colleen1

To Mishasta

I am acutally from Co. Tipperary, and Aoibheann/ Aoibhin is always pronounced and read as Ay-Veen, therefore thats why we thought maybe Aoibhe would be pronounced Ava
Advertisement
13-03-2006, 15:20   #21
donaghkebab

As Míshásta said, aoi is pronounced as 'ee' and has been so for thousands of year.
If the notion of using fadas is too confusing for you i suggest you should go along with what others have said and just use and English name!

However, if you really do want to Gaelicise the name and can't bear the trouble that an accent produces try, Aodhbha. That sounds like Ava though i doubt your child will appreciate the spelling!
13-03-2006, 15:47   #22
Inspector Gadget

I'm not a conoisseur of Munster Irish, but to the best of my knowledge (which may not mean anything ), at least in Connemara, any word I can think of that starts with "aoi" (whether used as a name or not), sounds like it starts with "ee" (as in the English word "sleep").

If you want a long "a" sound, as has been suggested on a couple of occasions above, "Éabha" (the fada turns the leading "E" into "ay" as in "hay") is the closest match I can think of.

Having said all of this, if you like a name, whether it conforms to the norms or not, go with it. In the end, as long as the person being given said name can correct people as and when necessary, what's the difference?

Gadget
14-03-2006, 01:17   #23
Míshásta

Quote:
To Mishasta

I am acutally from Co. Tipperary, and Aoibheann/ Aoibhin is always pronounced and read as Ay-Veen, therefore thats why we thought maybe Aoibhe would be pronounced Ava
We'll have to agree to disagree. I think you should check it out on some of the other Irish language forums.

In any case, I wish her a long, healthy and happy life.
19-03-2006, 14:58   #24
Aard

Quote:
Thanks everyone, but we want to try and avoid using fadas to prevent confusion.
Prevent confusion? You seem to be adding to the confusion by using non-standard pronunciation for the name. "Aoibhe" should be pronounced like "Aoife", but with a "v" instead of "f". And for those familiar with X-SAMPA, it's /"i:.v@/. I suggest you use "Éabha", or just use the Anglicised version "Ava".
Advertisement
20-03-2006, 03:42   #25
Gael

I'd agree with the majority consensus on this that 'Aoi' should be pronounced 'ee'.
But if you're still not convinced Colleen, I'd suggest you send an e-mail someone in the Irish departments of one of the universities. They'd be quite happy to help I'm sure.
29-03-2006, 14:53   #26
Aoibheann

Send a message via MSN to Aoibheann
Re the dialect confusion here, I'm from Cavan, my name is Aoibheann (obviously ) and it's pronounced Ay-veen/Aiveen/or somesuch here. Now I think we go by Ulster Irish, though with Cavan, you'd never know, even though we do live in the province...
29-03-2006, 15:06   #27
GaryOR

Aoibhe sounds like Eva
29-03-2006, 15:23   #28
masterK

The link provided earlier in the thread was a thread I posted with exactly the same dilemma. We called our daughter Ava but were also hoping to spell it Aoibhe. We looked under every stone and asked anywhere we could and never really got a conclusive answer.

The majority would say that Aoibhe is pronounced Eva but as far as we could see there was no correct way as there are examples of similar names that contradict either rule (ie. Aoife being pronounced Efa but Aoibeann being pronounce Ayveen, I also know somebody who called their child Eabhann, pronounced Evan).

We were eventually directed to a sister at our local church who is an expert in Irish Geneology, she told us that there was no concrete pronounciation of Aoibhe and was down to interpretation but the most common one was as Eva.

After that my niece was telling her Irish teacher about the baby and how it was spelt, she stated categorically that were were wrong and Aoibhe was pronounce Eva and no other way.

We eventually decided to just go with Ava, we thought if our niece was being corrected by a teacher imagine the hassle our daughter would have growing up having to constantly correct people and be told that she pronounced her name wrong.
01-06-2008, 22:04   #29
Dustie

This is a bit late obviously for you Colleen but we spell our daughter's name Aoibhe and pronounce in Ava. Anyone who would correct you on how your own daughter's name is pronounced or who would correct your daughter on her own name would have to be a real know-it-all with no social skills!
02-06-2008, 17:16   #30
Múinteoir

Sweet Jesus, the things some people burden their own kids with! As if growing up isn't tough enough already.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion