Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sincere Apologies

Options
  • 19-02-2006 12:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭

I want to publicly apologise to the admin of boards.ie for any possible legal problems my other posts may have caused.

It is a terrible legal situation we have, where "defamation and slander", and "accusing someone of a crime outside of a court situation." actually puts someone in a problamatic position.

The irony is that there was an actual crime committed via boards.ie, where the other person committed the crime. The crime was stealing X euro. Money was handed over for an item, in good faith, and that item never arrived. The seller made themselves uncontactable. These are facts. These are of public record [or at least they used to be].

The thread in question had gone to 3 pages. Someone made a dramatic leagalese comment and the thread was pulled.

I suppose from my perspective the end result was a good one. People were made aware of what went on. People know now not to deal with this person.

If the law was more of the type of:

"Whome ever creates the slanderous text it is the person who assumes responsibility"

against

"Whome ever facilitates the slanderous text it is the facilitators who assumes responsibility".

This thread may also be pulled, and so be it. I want the admins/owners of boards.ie Ltd know however that they have my full support should anything ever arise from my other posts. I'm sure I can speak for the vast majority of boards.ie users on this point.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

that law is an ass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭skye

Goneshooting - you did a sterling job on the "other" thread. I for one am fully behind you - this sort of thing needs to be exposed to other boardsters. Keep up the good work......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Links?

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Well the person you are trying to get a hold of seems to broadcast his wear abouts a certain DDR machines and tbh it would not be THAT hard to find him.
    For the purpose of having a chat or severing papers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I don't think there is anything to apologise for.

DeVore saw the old thread and posted on it. If he felt there was anything to apologise for, I'm sure he would have said it there and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Bettyboop

I wish to apologise to the admin and to boards.ie also
    and any legal circumstances they may have faced because of my posts
    and take full responsability for all the hassle I have caused them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Zaph0d

It is a terrible legal situation we have, where "defamation and slander", and "accusing someone of a crime outside of a court situation." actually puts someone in a problamatic position.
    Why is this terrible? Would you like to be accused on a public forum of criminality and have your name, address, photo and phone number posted with encouragements to others to track you down? The person you accused is a minor.
    These are facts. These are of public record [or at least they used to be].
    There is a difference between facts available from public records and the statements of one or more anonymous internet users.

Typing something something into a website does not make it a matter of public record.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

The irony is that there was an actual crime committed via boards.ie, where the other person committed the crime. The crime was stealing X euro. Money was handed over for an item, in good faith, and that item never arrived. The seller made themselves uncontactable. These are facts. These are of public record [or at least they used to be].

Strictly speaking, I think that's fraud, not theft.

But yes, naughty person. Hopefully they'll get run over by a bus, or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

rsynnott wrote:
    Strictly speaking, I think that's fraud, not theft.

But yes, naughty person. Hopefully they'll get run over by a bus, or something.
    Careful now, if it happens you'll be the first suspect!

• Advertisement

Nonsense; I can't drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,941 ✭✭✭✭Stark

You don't need a licence to run someone down ;)

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

What what??

I haven't seen or heard anything. If theres a legal problem, bring it on as far as I'm concerned. Perhaps one of the other admins knows something.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

DeVore wrote:
    What what??

I haven't seen or heard anything. If theres a legal problem, bring it on as far as I'm concerned. Perhaps one of the other admins knows something.

DeV.

Haha brilliant :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Team America, **** Yeah!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

don't know what you have to apologise for goneshootin or valerie.
    the law is indeed an ass if a person can rip you off and think it's ok to sue you for pointing the fact out to other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I read the thread up to yesterday afternoon, and I'm quite satisfied that there was nothing in it which could land boards.ie in any trouble. All of this "tried outside a courtroom" stuff is bull. I don't recall anyone actually using the words "criminal" or "thief", or in fact trying to insinuate anything. IIRC, in order to claim libel or defamation, a person would need to prove that a) the things said, were said about them (or could be construed to be said about them), and b) were untrue.

I find it hard to believe that mokeymokey or whatever he calls himself could mount a successful libel case on the foot of the material GoneShootin posted.

seamus wrote:
    I read the thread up to yesterday afternoon, and I'm quite satisfied that there was nothing in it which could land boards.ie in any trouble. All of this "tried outside a courtroom" stuff is bull. I don't recall anyone actually using the words "criminal" or "thief", or in fact trying to insinuate anything. IIRC, in order to claim libel or defamation, a person would need to prove that a) the things said, were said about them (or could be construed to be said about them), and b) were untrue.

My understanding is that here and in the UK it is the opposite; the defendant must prove that the thing is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

rsynnott wrote:
    My understanding is that here and in the UK it is the opposite; the defendant must prove that the thing is true.
    Actually, I kind of thought that but I wasn't sure. Though in this case, GS made a pretty good stab at asserting that what he was saying was true. That is, there was no malice or embelishing on GS's part when stating the facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

I was looking for that thread today. I posted on it offering Goneshooting my help and that offer is still there !

<3

• Advertisement

Sarge obviously doesn't check the thread of the day.

For shame!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

EduMyth wrote:
    Sarge obviously doesn't check the thread of the day.

For shame!!

Its the other thread im looking for ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Have val and GS had their money back from this guy yet or at the very least the product sent on v late ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

The answer is no to all questions Mr Fish.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I'm perfectly willing to help you go to the cops about this guy GS.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

This matter has been resolved, so I am closing the thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement