Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grainne Kenny president Europe Against Drugs- cannabis is more addictive than tobacco

Options
  • 07-02-2006 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭

It is in todays metro.
    Grainne Kenny president Europe Against Drugs quoted as saying.
    "it's more addictive than Valium or tobacco".

What do these people get this stuff!, every medical textbook I ever saw listed nictoine as the most addictive substance known. I have never seen a study proving cannabis to be addictive, it is just usually hearsay from drug rehab centres. I would consider the "irish joint" to be the most addictive drug known though, and thats what most smoke here.

It said only 36% of people wanted cannabis legalised for medicinal purposes. In a lot of countries heroin is already legalised for medicinal purposes. If it had not been named as cannabis I have no doubt if they showed the same results from studies that more than 36% of people would have wanted it legalised for medicinal purposes.

25% of people were strictly opposed to medicinal use, that is just crazy, wonder if they are against any other cancer treatment drugs.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭psilocybe

That woman is an idiot she knows nothing about drugs. Some of things I have heard her say are laughable. I saw her on TV once condemning cannabis smokers and in the same breath bragging about how cheap vodka is in Sweden when she was at some conference.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,316 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

She's a complete nutcase, she doesn't even know when she's won, after mushrooms were banned she was on the radio saying that the ban didn't go far enough... she wanted them to close down all the headshops because they sell hemp products and t-shirts with pictures of marijuana leaves on them.

And the worst thing is that she's the kind of person that the government meets with and listens when they are considering policy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Yeah I read that too -- absolute nonsensical crap

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

From reading the title of the thread, did she say cannabis was more addictive than tobacco or nicotine?

She may well be right. Not sure off the top of my head. If she said nicotine/cigarrettes etc. she sounds like a right wally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Catsmokinpot

She may well be right. Not sure off the top of my head. If she said nicotine/cigarrettes etc. she sounds like a right wally.
    nicotine is the most addictive substance known to man, as addictive as heroin.
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Repeat users of nicotine very often develop a physical dependency to the chemical. A report released on May 16, 1988 by United States Surgeon General C. Everett Koop stated that the addictive properties of nicotine are similar to those of heroin and cocaine; although many people do not agree with such a comparison. Physical withdrawal symptoms include irritability, headaches, anxiety, cognitive disturbances and sleep disruption. These symptoms peak at around 48–72 hours, and generally cease after two to six weeks.

• Advertisement

Read the first line of my post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Catsmokinpot

Read the first line of my post.
    doh!:rolleyes:

From reading the title of the thread, did she say cannabis was more addictive than tobacco or nicotine?

What are you getting at?
    Nicotine is the active ingredient in tobacco, how could a substanse which contains nicotine (highly addictive) be less addictive than a substanse which contains THC (non-addictive).

What are you getting at?
    Nicotine is the active ingredient in tobacco, how could a substanse which contains nicotine (highly addictive) be less addictive than a substanse which contains THC (non-addictive).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

psilocybe wrote:
    What are you getting at?
    I'm wondering too...

quote was

"it's (cannabis) more addictive than Valium or tobacco".

• Advertisement

And valium is definetely much more addictive than cannabis and withdrawel from it can be dangerous.

Is nicotine present in tobacco in its pure form? If so, you learn something new every day. I thought the nicotine was added to cigarrettes etc.

No nicotine is naturally present in tobacco. They do add other nasty **** though.

I thought the nicotine was added to cigarrettes etc.
    Yep it is there naturally. In normal tobacco leaf it contains large amounts. After curing and other treatments it is reduced a fair amount. So it is acutally more healthy to smoke stronger tobacco just like it is healthier to smoke strong cannabis, thought the bizarre logic of some people like Grainne would say strong cannabis is terrible. Point is that people will smoke until they get their "fix", be it nictoine or THC. By smoking weak cannabis you inhale more smoke along with it. If you get strong stuff you smoke far less, just like a 6 pint of beer man will not drink 6 pints of whiskey.

You may have heard that harmful additives are added to cigarettes. Nicotine is not that harmful a drug, it has medical uses, just like cannabis or mushrooms. But it is extremely addictive so people end up hooked on the cigarettes pumping out toxic smoke from the plant and added chemicals which are said to enhance its addicitveness. The film "the insider" deals with this topic, a true story. People trying to give up smoking by turning to "light" smokes end up holding the smoke in longer to get the same fix, resulting in a more harmful smoking method/technique. The THC in cannabis is absorbed extremely quickly so it serves no purpose to hold the smoke in the lungs for any amount of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

what a muppet, i dont use drugs myself (besides alcohol :D ) but ive friends that do. none of em had a problem kicking hash but a good porportion of em are still stuck on the ciggarettes despite many attempts to give em up.
    really makes ya wonder where these people come from:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dúnadoirse

That woman, as loathesome as she is,will do her cause no good with her outragous lies.She is digging a deeper hole with every new fantasy that she comes up with.However,she does get her voice heard and a lot of people believe the tripe that she comes out with.
    Is this the actions of a sane person?http://www.ndc.hrb.ie/directory/news_detail.php?cat_id=&news_id=1226&pointer=100

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

"They may look like something else, but they are called Japanese Maple. We wanted something to replace palm trees that were stolen, and this is what we got", said Mr Rooney. "I noticed one was a bit bare, maybe she'll replace it for us", he added.

:p

d&#250 wrote: »
    oh my god, you wouldnt see that in a comedy sketch, it would seem too over the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

What do you expect from someone who is the head of an organisation called 'Europe Against Drugs'?

Which 'drugs' would these be? Alcohol? Nicotine? Prozac? Aspirin???

...or maybe they should rename themselves "Europe Against non-taxable Drugs".

Is anyone apart from her actually a member of Europe Against Drugs, because I've never heard anyone else mentioned. Maybe it should be Grainne Kenny Against Drugs. If I was that publican I would have had her prosecuted for criminal damage.

• Advertisement

There is a good letter in the metro today about the article they published with the original quote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 binaryboy

What do you expect from someone who is the head of an organisation called 'Europe Against Drugs'?

Which 'drugs' would these be? Alcohol? Nicotine? Prozac? Aspirin???

dont forget coffee!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 eamonnkenny

psilocybe wrote: »
    That woman is an idiot she knows nothing about drugs. Some of things I have heard her say are laughable. I saw her on TV once condemning cannabis smokers and in the same breath bragging about how cheap vodka is in Sweden when she was at some conference.

This is the person that said we need to understand why kids take drugs instead of putting sniffer dogs into schools like Britain have done. Hello! Kids take drugs because there exists this parasite in society called "A drug pusher". And they are told that it is cool, or they can get money for selling them on themselves. Has she ever talked to a kid in rehab. My goodness! All schools need sniffer dogs to protect the weak, not some ideal that kids have matured into adulthood where they can always make smart choices.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,235 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

This is the person that said we need to understand why kids take drugs instead of putting sniffer dogs into schools like Britain have done. Hello! Kids take drugs because there exists this parasite in society called "A drug pusher". And they are told that it is cool, or they can get money for selling them on themselves. Has she ever talked to a kid in rehab. My goodness! All schools need sniffer dogs to protect the weak, not some ideal that kids have matured into adulthood where they can always make smart choices.

MOD: Ancient history thread dating back to 09 February 2006. Discussants have long since forgotten this thread. LOCKED. If you believe that a new thread with new information has merit, you may consider opening one. Looking at the content of your post, I would recommend the Politics Cafe for more relaxed standards discussion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement