Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

About Medicine/ Medical Students.

Options
  • 06-02-2006 5:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

I'm contemplating taking a career doing Medicine, but am unsure as to what I would be undertaking in terms of timing, workload etc. I would like some information as to times working daily, the difference in workload while transferring from secondary school to a third level medical course. And would like to know how difficult is the course eg. Was it as hard as you thought etc., was it as enjoyable as you thought etc?

Any help at all would be helpful considering it is a career choice so it's important to know what it's going to be like?......any information would be appreciated?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

A great website that introduces medicine to students can be found at www.medschoolguide.co.uk

Granted it's for English colleges but the general questions that you asked can still be answered there.

Good luck with your application (this is from a failed medical applicant ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

Look beyond the romanticised version, its hard, grueling work far too often with 80 hour weeks and working as hard and fast as possible simply to leave before you have completed 12 hours of the day at it.

It has its rewards, but is not all about the glory.

Want an easier life and earn 3 times as much? Do dentistry.....

*cough* suicide rates! ...is that actaully true or just an urban myth?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

Thirdfox wrote:
    *cough* suicide rates! ...is that actaully true or just an urban myth?

I've heard that one as well, especially for anaesthetists (sp?).

Us poor lawyers just get murdered by disgruntled clients...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Pfft.. you want the largest suicide demographic? Young White Males...

Especially rurally dwelling ones

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

i love being in the key demographic :)

Young white males isn't really a profession though...

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

plenty of southsiders think it is

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

What? Joe being witty?!?!

Good one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

What? Joe being witty?!?!

Good one.

Sorry, Joe was on the computer before me and forgot to log out :v:

Thirdfox wrote:
    Young white males isn't really a profession though...
    And apples aren't really cars, what's your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

ApeXaviour wrote:

Oh yeah?

Lowly_Worm_side.jpg

ApeXaviour wrote:

My point was that we were talking about suicide rates with doctors, dentists, anaesthetists and lawyers... suddenly you jump in with young white males (which I just thought was a bit random).

And as for the car... I loved that programme (they're still showing it on Tiny Pops :D )

Thirdfox wrote:
    My point was that we were talking about suicide rates with doctors, dentists, anaesthetists and lawyers...
    Were we? Scroll up man. In this thread there only seemed to be mention of the suicide rates of doctors, prior to my post. I see nothing that suggests it was limited to just professions. And if that's what you think then why stop there? Why not just medical professions? Or profesions that start with "M"? I hear mambo dancers off themselves all the time...

"Doctors have a high suicide rate"
    "Especially aneasthetists" (not direct quotes I realise but they sum up what was said)

"Young white males have a higher suicide rate.
    Especially rurally dwelling ones"

Seriously I don't see where it was limited only to professions. Maybe you could point it out to me? Or did you just imagine it and then feel the need to impose this restriction on me?

We started with talk about suicide rates in dentistry - look at DrIndy's post and then mine directly after.

Cuckoo then talked about anaesthetists

I then talked about lawyers...

Various professions as you'll agree

Btw how do reported "bad" posts get dealt with?

*edit* removed comments made about **** about ****

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

Nurses and doctors (and other health professionals) have it tough because of the long hours of work, which is also sometimes emotionally draining (dealing with death etc). They are frequently under pressure as the health sector is overcrowded and under resourced in terms of manpower (especially A&E).

You should see the waiting lists for some Occupational Therapy departments, especially those services for kids with Autism. there isn't half enough available. Speech therapy is even worse for shortage of services, they trippled the number of OT/ CS spaces the year i started college to cope with the demand and often therapists find themselves being asked to work privately for clients who don't want to join the waiting lists.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Thirdfox wrote:
    We started with talk about suicide rates in dentistry - look at DrIndy's post and then mine directly after.

Cuckoo then talked about anaesthetists

I then talked about lawyers...

Various professions as you'll agree

Your continuous sacarsm isn't really appreciated much by me (but I'm sure my opinion of you doesn't really bother you all that much anyway). However I would wish you stop flaming people so much (especially as your role as moderator).
    Jeez its a really bad time to bitch when u started the narkyness for trying to correct him on something was ambigious at best. And he does a fine job in his role as moderator, and is generally considered to be the nicer on here of the 2 of us. (See several threads by enda in feedback about me). Anyway as i've said time and again, no posting comments on your belief on how a moderator is doing their job, it should be delt with via a pm or on feedback.
    Btw how do reported "bad" posts get dealt with?
    They get sent to all moderators of the board, and afaik are now copied into a forum of their own that only smods and administrators can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

John2 wrote:
    Oh yeah?

Lowly_Worm_side.jpg
    You showed him alright.

Jeez its a really bad time to bitch when u started the narkyness for trying to correct him on something was ambigious at best. And he does a fine job in his role as moderator, and is generally considered to be the nicer on here of the 2 of us. (See several threads by enda in feedback about me). Anyway as i've said time and again, no posting comments on your belief on how a moderator is doing their job, it should be delt with via a pm or on feedback.

I am going to post a fuller response to this in a pm. Suffice it to say I did send a pm to another mod (but I don't really think it warrants anything on feedback) I just wanted to be treated civilly that's all (instead of accusations).

Also I've removed the offending statements about my personal beliefs of how **** is doing his job perhaps you will remove them from my quote too?

• Advertisement

omg.. I can't believe you reported my post! :D

Okay firstly: you really really need to chill out. Now before you go off the rails again that's not meant sarcastically, patronisingly or any other -ly you may read it as. Just take it to be as genuine as you can.

Secondly: I saw your correction and subsequent explanation as being unnecessarily and excessively pedantic. So I decided to reply in kind. Tit for tat. It was a bit of fun, there were no insults imparted. It's certainly not an abuse. As well as my role as moderator here, I am for the most part just a regular poster. When the need arises however I run into a phonebooth, spin around really fast and... well you get the picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭air_vent

Hand bags at dawn

Jesus get real!!!!
    Bit of a complex there dont we Mr Fox

Advertisement