Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dropping out of college!

Options
  • 04-02-2006 1:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭

Hello i am thinking of dropping out of college now, i am in 1st year in engineering, i want to do computer science,

as a result of reregestering how much fees will i have to pay next year, and would i have to pay more if i kept up my course for teh rest of the year and changed then,

I would really apreciate any help,

thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭xeduCat

No difference, in general. And the fees will be somewhere under the e6000 mark. However, if you transferred into 2nd year of CS rather than 1st year, you wouldn't have to pay fees. I don't know if this is possible or plausible. The best thing for you to do is to talk to Dónal (EduMyth) or your tutor, and to sit down with either or both of them and talk this through properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭Sandals

oh crap, would the fees be less if i went to another college or an IT?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Sandals wrote:
    oh crap, would the fees be less if i went to another college or an IT?

Wouldn't think so, no, not significantly. Possibly if you went to Scotland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

no because you have to pay the cost of your year in engineering in tcd that the government paid for under the free fees scheme, and then the next year is free again and it won't impact on what you have to pay whether the new course you do it dearer or cheaper.
    if you hadn't re-registered i think you would only have to pay half the fees/ half the cost of the tcd engineering degree, but since you did you have to pay the full cost if you decide to do a different course.

you lucky for OT i think it's nearly Eur8,000. i think arts is the cheapest

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

snorlax wrote:
    i think arts is the cheapest
    :eek: :cool:

• Advertisement

all questions may be answered http://www.tcd.ie/Treasurers_Office/Fees15.htm

law is about 4,300 (among the cheapest!;)), OT is about 6,600, Engineering is 5,700. i think dentistry is the dearest course

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

snorlax wrote:
    Engineering is 5,700
    Note to self: Most definitely don't drop out.......

and http://www.tcd.ie/Treasurers_Office/Fees12.htm for faq i think you may have to pay the registration fee ontop of that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

snorlax wrote:
    and http://www.tcd.ie/Treasurers_Office/Fees12.htm for faq i think you may have to pay the registration fee ontop of that

You do, yes.

EDIT: Actually, no you don't; have just been corrected on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Law is cheap because can you imagine a world without lawyers??? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭Edwardius

It seems to go up by about five hundred quid each year though. It cost me e4300 ish to repeat 1st year back in 2002/3 (for PCAM), it's well over five now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭xeduCat

Could I ask people to please avoid giving 'advice' unless their facts are correct? The fee system is not entirely straightforward, and that's why I advised the poster to talk to someone who is paid (in EduMyth's case, badly) to assist students in this situation.

1. The fees quoted by TCD do include the €775 registration charge. (rsynnott) (Subsequently corrected, thanks!!)

2. And the cost of doing a non-free fees year has nothing to do with the course you originally did. The free fees scheme specifies that you are liable for the cost of a year if you are ineligible for the scheme. So if you do first year again in a different course, you pay the cost of that course...not the amount that the Government paid for your original course. (snorlax)

3. Fee levels vary between colleges. For example, the ITs have set fees for students who aren't entitled to the free fees scheme, between e2000 and e3000 (ish) depending on discipline and year. Although as that was an opinion rather than a fact, I won't whinge too much in this case.

I don't mean to sound narky ;) but too many students rely on what their friends tell them and end up in further trouble that could easily be avoided...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

For what it's worth, I was in first year computer science and dropped out a few days before the January 31st deadline. Was a fairly simple process and no major hoops to jump through. I'm off to DIT next year to do Mathematical Sciences and half of my fees (course fees, NOT the registration fee) will be covered under free fees whilst I will be liable for the other half and my capitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

If you're dropping out of Engineering, is there any particular reason why you were asking for help with a JF economics exam question at Christmas time?

yes.

[post deleted, since I'm just being narky today]

why did i waste your time?;

if you must know I asked that question (about jf economics exam) for my friend who was in a panic, and didn't have time to set up an account,
    I apreciated your help and thanked you for it.

Ah, grand. Figured you were just taking the piss, apologies.

xeduCat wrote:

2. And the cost of doing a non-free fees year has nothing to do with the course you originally did. The free fees scheme specifies that you are liable for the cost of a year if you are ineligible for the scheme. So if you do first year again in a different course, you pay the cost of that course...not the amount that the Government paid for your original course. (snorlax)

i got my info from my friend in UCD well that's what she said to me anyhow, she dropped out of arts to do medicine but only had to pay for one year of arts she did not have to pay for the year of medicine she started which in any case is more expensive then arts...

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

what did he Just say?

• Advertisement

snorlax wrote:
    i got my info from my friend in UCD well that's what she said to me anyhow, she dropped out of arts to do medicine but only had to pay for one year of arts she did not have to pay for the year of medicine she started which in any case is more expensive then arts...

if your questioning the fact that she goes to UCD after she told you, why should we believe the rest of her story?

no need to get excited over a typo, im just repeating what i was told.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

:v:

:v: pacman.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

Bob wrote:
    For what it's worth, I was in first year computer science and dropped out a few days before the January 31st deadline. Was a fairly simple process and no major hoops to jump through. I'm off to DIT next year to do Mathematical Sciences and half of my fees (course fees, NOT the registration fee) will be covered under free fees whilst I will be liable for the other half and my capitation.

I must of taken your place. I joined CS around that date. Got my acceptance letter day before the deadline. Much happier now.

Advertisement