Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medicine

Options
  • 03-02-2006 2:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭

Just reading today's papers (well, technically yesterday's now) and saw about the changes to medicine. What does that mean for tcd's health sciences department? Just curious...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

What it means is that either medicine will eventually become a postgraduate course like it is in the US or all they really intend to do is make it unaccessable to mature students who don't already have a first or second class honour in a health or science related degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Does it have to be a science related degree? I thought they had stated any degree... I know of accountants who went into medicine later in life...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

GDM wrote:
    What it means is that either medicine will eventually become a postgraduate course like it is in the US or all they really intend to do is make it unaccessable to mature students who don't already have a first or second class honour in a health or science related degree.
    its dual entry. changes will be slow and will take several years before the full effect is felt. You cannot increase students without increasing teaching staff and facilities, this must happen first and it takes time to headhunt expertise and to build facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

its dual entry.

That's hot.

:rolleyes: :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

Pet wrote:
    That's hot.
    LOL :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

I heard a thing on the radio yesterday that said that for students who already have a degree they plan to bump up the fees to what foreign students currently pay which is about €30-40k a year.
    It was on newstalk 106.

That would actually make it cheaper to go to medical school in Harvard (excluding living costs) than TCD or any other Irish college. As Daffy Duck used to say - that's despicable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Diablolical

So what? Everybody knows if you want to do med and don't get into an Irish uni you can just go to scotland of england,theres no point faffing about in Ireland for 4 years doing a degree you don't really want to do just so you have the chance of doing med in trinity/ucd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

Is there any specific reason why the numbers of places for non-graduates aren't just being increased, instead of having more graduate places? Are the number of non-grad places being increased as well?

If people have already got a 'free' degree in the Irish state, well, them's the rules and fees have to be charged, but, what of people who have degrees from other EU nations? Will they pay the same fees as the graduates of Irish 3rd level institutions?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

they want to eventually take medicine off the ug list entirely, its to stop the points race thingy with the lc and so i guess people are older and more experenced when they decide they wanna do it... or so i thought anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

It should be part of the science route, you do two years of science (or maybe a general health science course and cover dentistry, radiology, etc) and then compete from there. Although I imagine it will still be a points race.

John2 wrote:
    It should be part of the science route, you do two years of science (or maybe a general health science course and cover dentistry, radiology, etc) and then compete from there. Although I imagine it will still be a points race.
    yeah but by then it would be much more focused on relevent subject matter... like someone getting an A in history don't tell ye alot about their science potential ;)

yeah but by then it would be much more focused on relevent subject matter... like someone getting an A in history don't tell ye alot about their science potential ;)
    Hmm, good point. Yeah I guess it's a good idea, sooo many people I know are only doing medicine because they got 600 points and it's the done thing ("You don't want to waste 600 points.."). Saps.

yep, doesn't really tell ye if they'd make a good doc, though no exam will do that ones in a science course could at least be somewhat relevent...

It's funny how all my science subjects are utterly useless in Law (I was aiming for medicine... ;) )

There's a post grad course in UCD on science in law or something like that.

14 month bump..

I read on the health sciences portal that there are a small number of places reserved for graduate/mature entry into medicine. Does anyone know how this works? (And how is it all that different from what is currently being discussed wrt graduate medicine in Ireland?)

Consider, for example, a marvellously witty and hard-working science graduate; how would this hypothetical person go about applying for this type of graduate entry, and how would he fare?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Dubliniensis

Trinity has always admitted a few graduates each year... I studied Science in Trinity before I started Medicine. I'm in Final Med and there are 3 other Irish "graduates" in my class...another science graduate, a pharmacist and an occupational therapist. In other years there are other pharmacists, dieticians, physios... A good few of my class in Science went on to study Medicine elsewhere too...RCSI, UK...

When I first started, the course was 6 years long but I was admitted straight into 2nd Med...the course is now 5 years long for school leavers. I had to apply directly to the Admissions Office before 1st Feb and also attend an interview. Not sure how this will all change in the future with the advent of the 4 year course. When I was applying, Trinity said they don't admit anyone directly from finishing their degree...most people have worked for a few years, done an MSc/PhD etc...

I think RCSI admit straight from a degree. I'm fairly certain one of the guys who graduated from neuroscience the year before me went straight into medicine in RCSI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭King.Penguin

I'd say it would be very difficult to get into Trinity Medicine without the leaving cert requirments. However, there are many other options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Dubliniensis

John wrote:
    I think RCSI admit straight from a degree. I'm fairly certain one of the guys who graduated from neuroscience the year before me went straight into medicine in RCSI.

That's true, a few people in my year in Science ended up in RCSI...

The whole graduate route in Medicine has always been there...just not publicised much. At least with the new 4 year graduate courses, the process is transparent and fairer... Pity the fees are astronomical! I (only) paid 7k this year...the new 4 year courses all seem to be double and triple this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭King.Penguin

The fees are indeed a killer.

Advertisement