Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I Ching

Options
  • 21-12-2005 2:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭

I know of the I Ching for divination, but I've not heard of other uses for it.

To put the I Ching in perspective one must understand that is one, if not the, oldest surviving Chinese classic texts. And pieces of it are still coming to light with every new tomb found in China. The I Ching basicaly describes an ancient system of cosmology and philosophy centering on the ideas of a dynamic balance of opposits, the evolution of events as a process, and the acceptance of the inevitability of change. (thanks Wiki)
    In the west it is indeed mostly viewed as simply a system of divination, while in the east, it is seen as a repository of the wisdom and philosophy of ancient China. In short, it can be used to make predictions, or more correctly, used as an aid to helping one make the right choice for a given situation. Or it can be used as reference/study material to ancient Chinese philosophy.

Advertisement