Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

for all thoes who were wondering who i am....

Options
  • 19-12-2005 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭

Isn’t it funny how things happen….
    I was just browsing through the net and came across a few names that I recognized on PPP and then decided to see if I could find anything about my nick name “Gholimoli” on the net ,so I googled it and I came across a very interesting thread here,
    Any one knows Gholimoli on PPP????
    For those who haven’t read the thread, it was made by “Fatboydim” on the
    20-09-05 .
    This is the original thread:
    “Trying to arrange a live game with him sometime... as he seems to be under the impression I am a fish

True sometimes my play resembles week old haddock. But only ever being polite and nice I like to at least put a face to a name.

Genuine offer to play him / her.”
    Now to the original poster who I have no idea who he/she is and I don’t even remember playing them or making a comment against them:
    I would like to start my response with an apology if I have offended you any any shape or form .im generally not a rude person, and I meant no disrespect to your personality my making comments like “Fish” .
    I take it annoyed you enough that you felt you had to make a post about it to get it out of your system, and for that I apologies.
    Now that said, I have a few comments to all those who contributed to the thread and the OP:
    First of all to the OP:
    If you have played on the Net long enough then you should know that you will be called this, that and the other based on the way you play. “Fish” is just the most common of them. the thing I wanted to say is that, you would be called that term for different reasons, for example when making a bad play ,but most commonly your called that when your making a very good play ,but its too complicated for the limited knowledge of your opponent to understand ,and this inability to understand the moves will bring out the “fish” comments.
    Now my question to you is this?
    why would you feel offended by a comment made by some one who you don’t know, and for all you know is a worse player than you.(as you stated in your post “his no great shakes”) .i mean would you be offended if a little kid called you names and such ,or would you just smile and say ,hey that’s jut a kid, he doesn’t know any better???
    I can not help it but think that your invitation to play me live was an attempt by a person who has had their ego shattered by a comment made, not about them selfs,but about the way they play a game of poker…
    Now to me that sounds like the lack of confidence in your own abilities …
    I mean what do you think being offended that much by a comment made by some one whom according to your self, is not much of player, suggests?
    Now I have been in that situation before ,and instead of posting a thread on a website and asking every one else to contribute to a personality attack against the villain ,to make me feel better, I would just post the details of the hand, ask opinions about the way I played the hand and if I concluded that I played correct then I would just smile and say “well, he was a fish for not understanding my play” and i concluded that I played incorrectly ,I would try to learn what I did wrong and how the hand should have been played.
    Now to all the other contributors who posted all sort of comments from me being a Fu**** Pr*** to not understanding pot odds etc,well its nice to know I've made such an impression on you all. of all the people who actually posted reply ,I only know O’Callaghan and that because he knocked me out of a tourney and I actually respect his game. no disrespect to any one else and im sure your all better players than I am ,but I just don’t remember being involved in a game with you.
    Funny enough the only reply that was not a flaming one, or didn’t have a F*** Pr*** in it was from O’Callaghan.
    Anyways sorry for the long post but after reading it today I felt obliged to post a sign up on this site and post a reply.
    To the OP :as for the invitation to the live game, I would love to play live, with every one here, just so I can get a bit of experience under my belt, and I feel that poker discussions can only make you a better player and as a student of the game I can not refuse opportunities like this.
    For those who are wondering if im and old man or just a 15 year old kid who is hiding behind a computer screen,im neither really.
    I was playing in the 500 event in the Sporting Emporium on sat ,and I would be the first one to admit that I was totally out played by Sean Murphy and he totally owned me and I got so frustrated after a while that I just wanted to get out of there so I went out around 37th spot I think.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

That was a party political broadcast, brought to you on behalf of the Gholimoli party.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Gholi moses !

Welcome to Boards anyway ..... ya big Fish ! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭denachoman

Gholimoli,

Were you in the S E for the €30 rebuy tournie last night (Seat 9 at the final table)? I remember someone at the final table saying they were knocked out around 37th in the 500 event the night before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Fatboydim

Gholimoli

I remember the tournament very well... You were very talkative in the chat box throughout the game. Incredibly vocal and trying to get under peoples skins. You made the comment if I remember rightly when I got knocked out by another player. A breach of etiquette if nothing else. Then I asked you a series of polite questions – Such as do you play in the Fitz… etc … You went very silent.

My original post:
    Trying to arrange a live game with him sometime... as he seems to be under the impression I am a fish

True sometimes my play resembles week old haddock. But only ever being polite and nice I like to at least put a face to a name.

Genuine offer to play him / her.

You have said:
    Now I have been in that situation before ,and instead of posting a thread on a website and asking every one else to contribute to a personality attack against the villain ,to make me feel better, I would just post the details of the hand, ask opinions about the way I played the hand and if I concluded that I played correct then I would just smile and say “well, he was a fish for not understanding my play” and i concluded that I played incorrectly ,I would try to learn what I did wrong and how the hand should have been played.

Sorry but I don't get that from my post.

or the reply I made later on that thread:
    I think you're right Des... - Ignore - In fact the only reason I bit at all was because his comments only ever came after he thought I had gone. Then when I asked if he played at the Fitz or Merrion he suddenly went very quiet.

The guy can say what he likes... But The Irish Poker scene is a small one - and so if anyone wants to say stuff – It’s going to get around. And here I am. I told him my name and where he can find me. Which is not meant aggressively at all – as in all likelihood he could be an old man or just a kid… and I’m not like that anyway. But I’m sticking up for fish everywhere - and from what I saw of his play… constantly going all in on draws… He was no great shakes anyway. He made a small raise to my BB with AJ I flat call with K 10 and hit the flop. I bet strongly indicating the king and he goes all in with second pair having hit a jack. He then rivered a third jack. A second time he called me when I had second pair and he had bottom pair… This time he didn’t get lucky. But that was at rebuy stage and rebuys are always loose. We then found each other on an STT where I got out drawn twice and got shortstacked. With A8 suited I made a play from mid-pos to steal the blinds. He went all in… I felt pot committed so called knowing I would be behind. I was happy enough to see he had kings. I hit an 8 on the flop and then an Ace – he rivered a third king. And then made his comments once he thought I had gone. I certainly didn’t play great in either game… But I’m never rude either on line or in person. Life’s too short.

And there were a number of replies that were not rude either.

It's very easy to find out who I am as there is no secret to it and I post on here regularly. Real name is Len Collin and I was playing at the SE on Saturday too. Knocked out in 22nd. I'll even attach a picture.

My original post was genuine enough and I would love to have said hello to you on Saturday. Maybe we were even sat at the same table.

But I think if anyone is being sensitive here it may well be yourself. :D2003-3-27-16-56-2-16-260.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Original full thread here for those of you interested. Some interesting comments!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

lafortezza wrote:
    Original full thread here for those of you interested. Some interesting comments!

Wasn't Marq the clever one !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭bmc

careca wrote:
    Wasn't Marq the clever one !!

Pffft...

He was out by 75 days...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Gholimoli

Fatboydim,
    i don’t think im being sensitive, when I’d seen the thread first I actually started laughing because it seemed like a lot of people had a lot to say about me..
    Even though your post wasn’t in anyway insulting, the replies were out of order I thought.
    I started my reply with an apology because I realize calling people names based on their play is simply not right.
    Unfortunately I am guilty of having done it from time to time in the past but if you have ever seen me play lately I hardly ever talk unless I know some one.
    As for that particular tourney I don’t remember it at all but as for being talkative and trying to get under peoples skin ,well every one has a strategy, when you play you want to win, and you will do anything you think will work to win…
    Sometimes its a big all in move with nothing to get your opponent to fold, and sometimes is just talking and trying to make people be curious about you, as you said get under their skin ,alter their play, make them call with that AT against your AK when they know they should fold but they only call because its you….
    Now that’s a strategy that you can get away with online not physically being at a table but not live because people will just find it too offensive and not realize that its just part of the game.(Sean Murphy was doing it all night that day)
    Apologies again for the comments made and the hassle caused …
    Now that a side, I do remember you indeed on Sat, you were not on my table, but I think you were around the satellite table I was playing at.
    If you remember the last satellite that was running for the game was the chip lead with another chap and decided to chop the money.
    I deffo think I remember you either playing on that table or watching the game as it was the last satellite running before the game.
    That was the only time I’ve ever played in the SE but I intend to play there more often.
    Next time I see you I will say hello …
    Bytheway who won the Sat event?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭ocallagh

LOL, I have just read the original post.... Since then I have played a lot with Gholimoli. He has always played very well and is a dangerous opponent at your table.. I got lucky against him in the 12K.. He outplayed me heads up and should have taken it down. He is an aggressive player and maybe a few posters just got on the wrong end of a beat due?? I dunno..

Gholi we've all been slated on boards before - ruthless shower of cun*s really :D- but some excellent players and you'll always get some good honest advice here. Don't take the original post too seriously!

I was in the SE on Sat too - What table were you at? I was the fish on table 6 with a cap and a blue hoody..

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭willis

Fair play to Gholimoli coming on and in fairness his post could of been a lot worse considering the abuse he got in the original thread. I used to make a lot of fish type comments in the chat box etc, and some people probably think im a knob, but ive cut down so much and feel its all part of the maturing of me as a poker player. it would be differnent if Gholimoli was a serial abuser of people,ive yet to see clear evidence though. welcome to boards gholimoli

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Fatboydim

Definitely say hello at the next one Gholimoli… and Nial’s right they’re just a shower of useless bollix’s here. [Congrats on the 6th place BTW] And welcome to boards… I’m sure you’ll make it interesting.:D

Ocallagh
    i was on table fecking 1 ,to my immediate right is Sean Murphy, two to my left is Andy Black, and a few other names that I could tell were famouse but didn’t know them.
    Jesus man,you could not breath on that table, any sort of move, and Sean Murphy would out play me like ive never been before…
    I tried my best just to keep the pots small so I can take from him somehow but he totally owned me….
    Andy went out very quick, and I managed to double up with my set ,eventually got tired of Sean’s blind stealing and put him all in with my 76s on SB only for the BB to wake up with AK .i was actually glad to be out of there I got so frustrated.
    Nice finish though I read you finished 6th, bad beat with the AA against your dad of all people lol …

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭allin-king

denachoman wrote:
    Gholimoli,

Were you in the S E for the €30 rebuy tournie last night (Seat 9 at the final table)? I remember someone at the final table saying they were knocked out around 37th in the 500 event the night before.

no that was me! what seat number where you?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

This is from a $25 stt many months ago. I limp in with AQ after a few limpers, Ghomoli limps directly behind me. The flop is xAQ. 2 hearts. I bet 120, he min raises me. I go all in knowing full well from his play before that he will call with any ace. He calls 1800 odd chips off with a ten high flush draw. Turn is an ace.

Was this play too complicated for my feeble little mind?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭NickyOD

This is from a $25 stt many months ago. I limp in with AQ after a few limpers, Ghomoli limps directly behind me. The flop is xAQ. 2 hearts. I bet 120, he min raises me. I go all in knowing full well from his play before that he will call with any ace. He calls 1800 odd chips off with a ten high flush draw. Turn is an ace.

Gholimoli is a no talent assclown.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

NickyOD wrote:
    Gholimoli is a no talent assclown.

attack the post not the poster:p

Right,
    Hector i have no idea who you are, but i do remember playing alot in $25 against you and i actually thought u were one of the better players.
    However its been nearly 8 or 9 months since ive played in the $25 STT's and i only went back abt couple of weeks ago for experimental purposes.
    having said that,i really haven’t seen you in any of the upper limits at all,ive never seen your name mentioned any where in the big MTT's,i've never come across you in an MTT ,never seen you win one, never seen you in a final table, never seen you even on the bubble...
    now im not saying your a bad player, you may not play MTT's or something like that but you so liberally question my ability as if you have the poker god status or something and for some one with that status i just find it hard to understand why some one with that amount of talent would not take shot at MTT's .if your still at the $25 level and your crushing them games ,do you mind me asking you what your ROI is and over what sample size and by all means if i feel you have something i could learn from ,i would be the first one to humbly ask for your knowledge of the game.
    to all the other players who also liberally post this and that, and flame have no idea who you are but remember just because you think a play is bad or fishy does not make it so....it could be that you dont understand it yet so before you jump into conclusions, post the hand with all relative information, ask a few opinions and then decide.
    Good luck at the tables all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Marq

potd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭NickyOD

Marq wrote:
    potd

post of the decade?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭bmc

NickyOD wrote:
    post of the decade?

Potted, as in "raised by the amount in the pot".

Hector's options now look like All-in or fold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

Gholimoli wrote:
    Right,
    Hector i have no idea who you are, but i do remember playing alot in $25 against you and i actually thought u were one of the better players.
    However its been nearly 8 or 9 months since ive played in the $25 STT's and i only went back abt couple of weeks ago for experimental purposes.
    having said that,i really haven’t seen you in any of the upper limits at all,ive never seen your name mentioned any where in the big MTT's,i've never come across you in an MTT ,never seen you win one, never seen you in a final table, never seen you even on the bubble...
    now im not saying your a bad player, you may not play MTT's or something like that but you so liberally question my ability as if you have the poker god status or something and for some one with that status i just find it hard to understand why some one with that amount of talent would not take shot at MTT's .if your still at the $25 level and your crushing them games ,do you mind me asking you what your ROI is and over what sample size and by all means if i feel you have something i could learn from ,i would be the first one to humbly ask for your knowledge of the game.
    to all the other players who also liberally post this and that, and flame have no idea who you are but remember just because you think a play is bad or fishy does not make it so....it could be that you dont understand it yet so before you jump into conclusions, post the hand with all relative information, ask a few opinions and then decide.
    Good luck at the tables all.

We played quite a lot of games together and I saw you make countless plays that were unambigulously bad (mostly involving draws of some kind), bad enough so that you got noted as a fish in my notes. Len posted about you being rude to him so I made a post giving my feelings on the subject. Now this was a long time ago now, and you are probably much better now, god knows I would be embaressed if someone brought up some hands I played from 2004.

I played several thousand $25 stts with a ROI of about 25%, playing about 4 to 7 at once. I play MTTs irregularly (not under this name) and have won several this year. I dont have my details on me now but I think my Roi is above 300%.

Advertisement