Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

15-12-2005, 10:06   #1
Richelieu

Tom Hanks: Saint or sinner

I was talking with someone yesterday about him. She reckoned he was practically divinity on celluloid but I somehow think he's got this simmering creepy quality you know?
The guy next door with heads in his fridge...
Look at his eyes....
Anyone else hate Tom Hanks???
Advertisement
15-12-2005, 11:27   #2
Big Nelly

Send a message via MSN to Big Nelly Send a message via Yahoo to Big Nelly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richelieu
I was talking with someone yesterday about him. She reckoned he was practically divinity on celluloid but I somehow think he's got this simmering creepy quality you know?
The guy next door with heads in his fridge...
Look at his eyes....
Anyone else hate Tom Hanks???
And you win the prise for most pointless thread of the day.

First off does your "someone" know Tom Hanks? this just random thoughts? wat a fridge has got to do with this is beyond me.
15-12-2005, 11:47   #3
projectmayhem

Send a message via MSN to projectmayhem
err... what?

he's a good actor with some fantastic films. that's about all i know about him other then he has a son who's an actor too.
15-12-2005, 11:58   #4
Karl Hungus
Closed Account

I think he's a bit over-rated myself, but hate? No. Why exactly would you hate him?
15-12-2005, 12:23   #5
CyberGhost

I really like Tom Hanks! I think he is a great and talanted actor, he is so good that when you look at him play, you think "eh I could play like that too" but there is something special in Tom, he is very natural.

WIIIILSOOOOOOON!!!!!!!!!!!
Advertisement
15-12-2005, 12:26   #6
rahim

I don't have a problem with him (mainly cause I don't know him) and I also enjoyed a good few of the films he was in. At this exact moment I can't think of one I hated him in, but I'm sure one that I didn't like will come to me!
15-12-2005, 12:30   #7
monkeyfudge

Send a message via ICQ to monkeyfudge Send a message via AIM to monkeyfudge Send a message via MSN to monkeyfudge Send a message via Skype™ to monkeyfudge
Oh I can't stand him. Never liked him or any of his films.

There are few actors who I just simply can not stand... Hanks is one of them and Meryl Streep is another... and they are both highly over rated.
15-12-2005, 13:46   #8
ObeyGiant

I only have a problem with everyone of his movies post-Joe Vs the Volcano. Before that was great. And I'll challenge anyone who says that the bit in the Money Pit where he gets stuck in the hole in the floor isn't the finest bit of movie slapstick.

But yeah, since he realised he gets way more pussy turning on the waterworks in EVERY MOVIE, he's gotten a whole lot less likeable. Less gay guys with AIDS, more Pep Streebeck, I say.
15-12-2005, 13:48   #9
Pigman II
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Pigman II Send a message via Yahoo to Pigman II Send a message via Skype™ to Pigman II
I find him watchable. He kind of has that Robert Mitchum / James Stewart thing going on where you like him even if he's the bad guy or in a poor movie.

I agree about Meryl Streep tho. I hate her in everything I've ever seen her in. I even hate her name.
Advertisement
15-12-2005, 13:53   #10
TerrorFirmer

It's hard to fault him as much though when actually watching one of his movies. I generally say I don't like him, something about him I can't quite put my finger on thats always nagged at me whenever his name was mentioned.

It's more a case of thinking "Ah Tom Hanks is in it, that kinda put's me off" and then watching the movie and inadvertadly realising I couldn't imagine anyone else doing the role as well.

So overall, I guess much to my own disdain I kinda like him!

Love/hate thing going on big time.
16-12-2005, 16:40   #11
Outcast

I think sometimes he's pretty nauseating but I thought Joe versus the volcano was great
16-12-2005, 16:50   #12
Goodshape
Goodshape

He's grand, no complaints. He seems to get decent parts in decent films and is a lot less annoying on screen than a lot of people.

Also, kind of grew up watching Hanks -- he started off in the easy going family films when I was at the age where I'd enjoy them, then got a bit more serious as I got a bit older.
16-12-2005, 17:21   #13
meldrew

He plays the everyman role fairly well but other than that he's been in some fairly average movies , most recently The Terminal
16-12-2005, 23:31   #14
simu
Closed Account

He doesn't inspire any emotions either way in me. Meh.
16-12-2005, 23:35   #15
Iceman_5000

No way, Hanks is kool.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion