Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Looking for Club to join!! PLEASE READ

• 11-12-2005 2:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hello, I have always loved rugby and always wanted to play it
    My question is.

Is 21 to old to join a team. I know the game in and out so i wouldnt have to learn that.

I am 17 and a half stone not super fit but better then most.

Second question

If 21 is ok to start do you know any clubs on the north side of dublin to whom i could talk to and see what i can do.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,655 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Ya i have been wondering the same thing...i am 20 almost 21 and would love to start.PLayed junior Rugby but stopped a few years back.Been playing Tag rugby since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Nema

Ya i have been wondering the same thing...i am 20 almost 21 and would love to start.PLayed junior Rugby but stopped a few years back.Been playing Tag rugby since.

Im sure we can give it a try hopefully :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,655 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

I wouldnt be as big as yourself i am about 12 1/2 stone. 5.10, Fairly Quick, but well built.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

age is not a problem.
    size is not a problem.
    fitness is not a problem.

Clubs are crying out for players.....there is always a lower level team to play on and once they've figured aout how good or bad you are....you'll rise up the team grades or descend...:D

I was the youngest by about 10 years on the last team i played on. We even had a guy in his 60's playin. The standard wasn't very high but it was fun

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

We always welcome new players @ UnidareRFC! Joined the club last year, absolutely loving it! Unbeaten so far this year in the J4 Leinster League even though we played big teams such as Lansdowne, Sutton and Parkmore. All details are on our great website. Just come down to training on Thursdays to have a look! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Nema

We always welcome new players @ UnidareRFC! Joined the club last year, absolutely loving it! Unbeaten so far this year in the J4 Leinster League even though we played big teams such as Lansdowne, Sutton and Parkmore. All details are on our great website. Just come down to training on Thursdays to have a look! ;)

I will thank you, Also you are only 5 mins from me so thats handy.

Il drop down next week and have a look.

Thanks for the replys

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

Im 23 and bout 14st @ 5,10" and i hope to start playing again once i finish college. Super unfit! I wont be caring too much just want some excercise and work off the liver abuse of the college years. Havent played in 3 and a half years.

I say go for it - if anything its a good bit of excercise and good craic with a bunch of lads.

Nukem

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Nema wrote:
    I will thank you, Also you are only 5 mins from me so thats handy.

Il drop down next week and have a look.

Thanks for the replys
    See you on Thursday hopefully Nema! ;) PM me if you need anything!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 katyk

Hi, I am also looking to join a tag rugby team, south dublin preferably. I am 26yrs old, female and I have never played tag rugby before. Really I havent played any sports before, so I wouldnt be very fit. I know that doesnt sound like a very appealing person to have on your team, but if there are any absolute beginners teams out there who need another player, let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 VanStrummer

best I can do is point you in this direction:

http://www.tagrugby.ie/

I'm on the Northside and there is no tag rugby on this side.

Hope the website helps.

-Van

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

I don't know why people are worried about weight when joining a team....I'm 6'2" and only 11 stone and I've never had any problems in my years playing rugby.

Do many clubs have Social Cup Team/Senior 3rds esque teams? I mean teams that aren't exactly that committed, they usually have some good players but it's just a laugh and there's no pressure or anything. That's when it's fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 GerryHatTrick

I'd love to get started in a rugby team, according to EA rugby on my Xbox I'd make a good scrumhalf! I'm 24, 5'8, 11 and a half stone and ex-semi-fit!! My only problem is I don't know any where to play in sligo, so if anybody knows anything......

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Fence

My only problem is I don't know any where to play in sligo, so if anybody knows anything......

Sligo Rugby Club have a crappy website if you want to take a look. They are based in Strandhill, if that's anywhere near you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 GerryHatTrick

Cheers fence, will look them up next time I get a chance (and lose the beer gut!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

Any one know of any summer rugby being played on the Northside, TCD Santry or DCU etc...maybe 7s or Tag?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

I'm in a similar situation to a few people here. Been watching for years,played a tiny bit in school(PE, the school was a GAA school) and would love to get involved. I was going to try out for a college team but I thought I'd have the piss taken out of me. I'm 5'6 and 12 and a half stone, quite short and stocky with good leg and upper body strength. The thing is, I'm 20 and not that fit. I don't know if I should try and get a bit fitter before trying to join a club(hopefully Navan) or should I try join(and if they take me) build on my fitness while playing. I plan to join a gym in the next few weeks but the aul money is in short supply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

GDM wrote:
    I'm in a similar situation to a few people here. Been watching for years,played a tiny bit in school(PE, the school was a GAA school) and would love to get involved. I was going to try out for a college team but I thought I'd have the piss taken out of me. I'm 5'6 and 12 and a half stone, quite short and stocky with good leg and upper body strength. The thing is, I'm 20 and not that fit. I don't know if I should try and get a bit fitter before trying to join a club(hopefully Navan) or should I try join(and if they take me) build on my fitness while playing. I plan to join a gym in the next few weeks but the aul money is in short supply.

Have you contacted the club about pre-season training/conditioning?

Most clubs will resume training towards the end of August, and if you've never played before you'll be playing at a level where games won't start for a coule of months after that and aren't too demanding physically. Unless of course you're a natural and get picked for the first team. Then you'd have about 6 weeks to get conditioning.

Might be no harm to do some gym or jogging to prepare yourself.

Welcome to Rugby and good luck!

• Administrators, Sports Moderators Posts: 21,676 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭smashey

I started playing in Birmingham when I was 24. I hadn't even lifted a ball before that. I began training with the club just after the start of the season and was totally lost for a few weeks. After about a month, I played my first game for the 4th team against a team of veterans, and they certainly showed me a few of the er 'finer points' of the game. At 6' 5" and approx. 18 stone back then, my position was only ever going to be in the second row. (The hub I used to call it). ;) Scrummaging took a bit of practice, as did effective line-out jumping, but by the end of that season, I had moved up to the second team and my fitness was great. I played for the first team the following season and alternated between the firsts and seconds for a while. All in all, I would highly recommend the game. The social life wasn't bad either.

Advertisement