Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was Enda Kenny's racist joke?

Options
  • 01-12-2005 4:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭

...about Prime Minister of Congo Lumumba who was assassinated in 1961?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 BerigWielbark

A Moroccan barman 'with shiny teeth' had been asked why a cocktail was called a 'Lumumba' and replied it was named after 'some ****** who died dans la guerre'. according to The Guardian.

Something along those lines. And people ask why I would rather drink rat poison than vote FG...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

umbongo umbongo they killed him in the congo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I don't get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

^^^Ditto

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭robz150

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭karlh

i dont get it either but jageh's one is class :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,6903,792360,00.html

Kenny initially asked reporters at the function not to report his remarks and, to the astonishment of some commentators, a number of newspapers agreed.

Doesn't surprise me at all. The media in this country are as corrupt as the politicians.

I always thought Kenny was a pig ignorant little troll, I can now add stupid and un-funny to the list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

the first i have heard of this controversy

Enda Kenny is a ****ing moron

**** joke to boot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Storm in a tea-cup, it isn't a particulary racist joke, it's about one black guy calling another guy a "******". I can see why it would be found offensive, but I don't think it makes Kenny a racist. Calling someone kebabs is alot more racist in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Yeah, I dont like Sinn Fein or Fine Gael... them be the two that i dont want in power!
    I like the PD's and I like Bertie Ahern, i think having the 'greatest leader in europe' is good for Ireland on all political fronts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭ratboy

'greatest leader in europe', do you happen to be rich?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 BerigWielbark

Kudos Jaggeh...

I didn't see the joke as being offensive as such either...more ill-timed and frankly crap but not offensive.

Anne Winterton's "joke" was far more inflammatory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

ratboy wrote:

No, he's like 16 though :P...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

That wasn't a racist joke.
    Something has to be funny to be a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

ratboy wrote:

I reckon he must be, Only people who have something to gain would vote for those two. If Bertie Ahern is the greatest leader in Europe i was assassinated in the Congo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

ratboy wrote:
    maybe he was being sarcastic, hence the quote marks around the phrase

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Ok- this has me a tad baffled. Kenny didn't call Lumumba the N word, he was referring to a barman who had called him such. Does this mean if I say "I heard someone call someone an offensive word once" mean that I had called the person the offensive word? No. That being said, I don't think he was being appropriate nor should use that word in any context.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Yeah, this hardly makes him a racist.

If we're all honest, we've all laughed once or twice at highly politically incorrect jokes. That doesn't make us all racists though...

Still, he's a moron for saying it. His job is to NOT say things like that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Jim10000

oh shiiiiiite!!!!

i just wrote a STINKER of an e-mail expressing my disgust to the Fine Gael party h.q. and now I see that Guardian article is from 3 years ago????

what gives? why has this been brought up now?

is he still even leader of the party?

I'm just hoping that coincidentally he's gone and put his foot in it again recently and they'll think that's what I was on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

Jim10000 wrote:
    I'm just hoping that coincidentally he's gone and put his foot in it again recently and they'll think that's what I was on about.

thats hilarious, though chances are yeah they'll just think "oh fook, how did he find out about <insert latest gaff here> :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

I know this isn't what you wanna hear Jim10000, but that's bloody hysterical :P.

Incidentally, jaggeh's comment is far funnier than the original 'joke' ... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Don't forget he also said he wasn't going after any 'black' votes as "they all look the same" and it would be hard to tell them apart at the polling stations. I have personally witnessed him call a chineese waitress a slope and his new poster boy Pascal Donohoe laugh along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

FX Meister wrote:
    I have personally witnessed him call a chineese waitress a slope.

This is getting worse.
    Doesn't the fool know that "slope" is the correct derogatory term for a Korean? Pft...
    If you're going to insult people at least have the decency to do it properly. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

"In London, a spokesman for the Commission for Racial Equality said it was 'inconceivable' that a prominent politician in Britain would use such language and keep his or her job."

Whats up with the British politician thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

FX Meister wrote:
    Don't forget he also said he wasn't going after any 'black' votes as "they all look the same" and it would be hard to tell them apart at the polling stations. I have personally witnessed him call a chineese waitress a slope and his new poster boy Pascal Donohoe laugh along.
    When did he say that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭morlan

"In London, a spokesman for the Commission for Racial Equality said it was 'inconceivable' that a prominent politician in Britain would use such language and keep his or her job."

Whats up with the British politician thing?

I've seen a few reports in British newpapers casualy referring to Ireland as Britain.

Hagar wrote:
    This is getting worse.
    Doesn't the fool know that "slope" is the correct derogatory term for a Korean? Pft...
    If you're going to insult people at least have the decency to do it properly. :D
    I'm sure they just "all look the same" to him.

Shabadu wrote:
    When did he say that?
    Which one? The comment about them all looking the same was in the paper some time last year. As for the slope comment, it was in the run up to the local elections in 2004 in a pub off the Navan road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

John R wrote:
    Doesn't surprise me at all. The media in this country are as corrupt as the politicians.

I always thought Kenny was a pig ignorant little troll, I can now add stupid and un-funny to the list.

Actually we have the 4th free-est media in the world... according to some survey somewhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

I just hope the present shower of bastards are thrown out in the next election, they wont though. FG/Lab has to be a better alternative.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement