Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Biggest cinema in Dublin?? (and Ireland!)

• 29-11-2005 12:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭

hey
    just wondering, I read online that Savoy has the biggest screen in ireland..
    is this true? is it bigger than screen 17 at UGC?

also... does anyone know what is the biggest seating capacity for a single movie screen (auditorium) in Ireland?
    (surely it must be one of these two?)

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

Having been in both I think that savoy's main screen is slightly bigger than UGC's screen. The actual room in the savoy is much bigger though.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Capacity wise the Savoy is at least double UGC. I'd say the screen is wider too but I've a feeling it's not as tall (this could be just my perception since one walks in at the bottom and the tiering is at a greater angle as opposed to the Savoy). Just my opinion.

Anyway. Capacity. Screen 17 holds 404 and Screen 1 holds 800 or more. I looked this up a long time ago and back in the day in the Savoy what is now Screen 2 was Screen 1 and held over 1000 (there used to be a restaurant up there too). The then Screen 2 (i.e. the downstairs one and now Screen 1) held a bit over 800. Interesting stuff anyway. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭HacksawEddie

thanks lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Screen 1 in Vue (formerly Ster Century) Liffey Valley has the largest screen in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

I like the Savoy. Very nostalgic!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Quinnsey

halenger wrote:
    I'd say the screen is wider too but I've a feeling it's not as tall (this could be just my perception since one walks in at the bottom and the tiering is at a greater angle as opposed to the Savoy).

That's not really possible with cinema aspect ratios. Both Savoy 1 and UGC 17 are 2.35:1
    Kali wrote:
    Screen 1 in Vue (formerly Ster Century) Liffey Valley has the largest screen in Ireland.

Are you certain? Every source I've ever read has said that Savoy 1 is the biggest in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

One of the selling points when Ster Century opened was 'the Big Fella' (screen 1), i'm pretty sure that it is the biggest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

I remember buying tickets to something in Liffey Valley and the guy behind the desk telling me that even though screen 1 was called the Big Fella, a couple of the other screens were the same size - it's just a publicity thing. I must say it always seems like Savoy 1 is much bigger than any of the Liffey Valley screens. Maybe the ones in Liffey Valley are taller, but that doesnt help with proper 2.35 films as part of the screen just doesn't get used. Wider = better in my book.

Whatever about screen size, Liffey Valley wins the comfy seat prize hands down.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭FuzzyZoeller

Quinnsey wrote:
    That's not really possible with cinema aspect ratios. Both Savoy 1 and UGC 17 are 2.35:1

It all depends on how a cinema screen switches from 35mm to 70mm (35mm anamorphic). VUE screens in liffey valley all reduce in height for "Widesceen" films. So while Sceen 1 is imprseeive height wise, this is lost when displaying a film that is in the widescreen format.

UCI tallaght, screens 10 - 12, all increase in width for displaying widescreen films.

From what I remember the Savoy 1 increases in width also, so the actual square foot of the screen is larger the Screen 1 in VUE, although in the Savoy, all the screen may not be in use.

It's a trade off between a constant wall to wall screen, regardless of what film is been shown, or sometimes having an apparent gap to the left and right of the screen.

Hope this makes sense:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

not for me but then im an idiot, but i was in a cinema in NY under timesquare farking huge, never seen a cinema near that size before

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

madrab wrote:
    not for me but then im an idiot, but i was in a cinema in NY under timesquare farking huge, never seen a cinema near that size before

I think the same of the IMAX screen in the cinema just off of Market Street, San Francisco. Again that was an enter at the bottom type screen but it looked enormous. Had to have the capacity bigger than UGC's 17 anyway. They show normal films on it by the way. Pretty impressive stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Quinnsey

Right. So for scope 2.35:1 films go to Savoy 1 and for flat 1.85:1 films go to Liffey Valley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

Hey Madrab was that the Virgin cinema? saw Spiderman2 the Virgin Cinema in Times square, twas big...but american audiences are loud :( shouting hell yeah! Woot! etc and various other insults/comments at teh screen.

The Big Fella at Vue is the biggest?, beats Savoy with sound and quality interior. Savoy should be renovated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭HacksawEddie

i thought savoy WAS renovated recently?
    it looks new on the outside anyway?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

might have been, just remember it was massive,

yeah stupid american audiences shouting & clapping

THEY CANT HEAR YOU, DIE YOU MORONS!!!!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

For what it's worth, Screen 17 in Cinéworld is 17.1 x 7.3 metres and has a capacity of 404. They've just put up notices outside each screen detailing their capacity, leg room (1.1m), speakers, sound system, and make of projector.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭irelandjnr

SAVOY (O'CONNELL ST.) SCREEN 1 = 782 seats

VUE (LIFFEY VALLEY) SCREEN 1 = 354 seats

CINEWORLD (PARNELL ST., formerly UGC) SCREEN 17 (IMAX 3D) = 340 seats

How did I come up with these numbers? I counted the seats. Counting the seats is an amazing way to know how many seats there are. Others should employ this method going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

irelandjnr wrote: »
    SAVOY (O'CONNELL ST.) SCREEN 1 = 782 seats

VUE (LIFFEY VALLEY) SCREEN 1 = 354 seats

CINEWORLD (PARNELL ST., formerly UGC) SCREEN 17 (IMAX 3D) = 340 seats

How did I come up with these numbers? I counted the seats. Counting the seats is an amazing way to know how many seats there are. Others should employ this method going forward.

Take THAT, people from a decade ago!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement