Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish "Psychics" Live

Options
  • 25-11-2005 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭

Okay, I really wasn't sure about where to put this but I really do want people to hear this. Mods, please move if you feel it doesn't belong here.

Anyways, my friend asked me this morning whether I had heard Pat Kenny's report on "Irish Psychics Live" this morning on RTE Radio One. Now I'm not a fan of Pat Kenny by any means (plus I was asleep!) so I said I'd check out the show online.

Basically what happened was one of the shows researchers rang the Irish Psychics Live hotline five times. Now we all (probably) know that these lines are complete and utter nonsense with one aim in mind - taking your money. The show, however, raised a few more interesting points.

The owner, Tom Higgins (A cowboy of Tony Quinn proportions), wants to be the first Irish man in space. After hearing this, I think he should be. And I think he should stay there.

The first two minutes of the phone calls (€4.80) are advertisements for other services provided by IPL.

Once in contact with the "psychics", Kennys' researcher was:

*Asked if she had a chatty friend who was single. (Ask yourself this one too).
    *Told her mother was dead. (She wasn't).

and numerous other incidents of absolute rubbish.

Anyway, this is where it got interesting. Tom Higgins, the head of the organisation was on the line and Pat Kenny absolutely laid into him, I really suggest you listen to the clip because it was quite powerful stuff from a man certainly not known for his powerful interviews. Higgins claimed that the clips that had been played were too specific and could not be viewed as indicative of the whole service, which infuriated Kenny even more. The psychic line is obliged, by law, to let the caller know when €30 is amounted on the call - not surprisingly, they don't.

To be honest, I'm just fed up with the likes of these cowboy's, Una Power et al. Of course people should have the right to call these lines, and all I really have to do is ignore it and it will go away. The fact is however, that it deeply annoys me that these con-artists are not kept in check and exposed on a more regular and critical basis.

Finally, fair play Pat Kenny (its not often I say it) for showing your clear hatred for the soul-less nature of these outfits and spending the time exposing them to the public.

LISTEN HERE
    (It starts after around 44 minutes)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Z

yes kudos to kenny. He aint normally that good.
    Normally hes much more passive and blase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

I had a listen to that. It's incredible how that guy Higgins tried to justify the bulls_hit that they pass off as psychic readings. The amount of "err...ahh" etc that the "psychics" were doing during calls in order to waste time and grow the cost was just mind boggling and 1 operator even answered his/her mobile during a call, WTF??

For anyone that hasn't listened to it, if you're like me and can't stand Pat Kenny, overlook it just to hear the crap that Tom Higgins spouts. Unbelievable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Mina Loy

Lmao!!!!!!!!! The first psychic seems to be struggling with the lyingggggggggg..........................
    Kinda feel sorry for the second one..

A good point I think is being missed though is that they're supposed to be IRISH psychics live lol..not brits :)

why would your granma hold your hand?

I DUNNO CUZ SHES ME GRANNY MAYBEEEEE!!!!!!!!

crhist almighty lol:v:

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Ozzy

Man, what a bunch of useless ****ing liars!
    .. If you have ever given these frauds any money, you are a dumbass.

• Advertisement

Just to make it easier, skip forward to 57 mins to hear pat impaling him..hahah

R-U-B-B-I-S-H

lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

but what about people who keep phoning these people???
    G-U-L-L-A-B-L-E I-D-I-O-T-S tbh

very true. but that higgins guy is such an obnoxius bollox i kinda dont care lol :) go pat

omg he sounds like louis walsh!jhahahahaha listen carefully...:v:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

Mina Loy wrote:
    omg he sounds like louis walsh!jhahahahaha listen carefully...:v:

That's scarily true

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I rang comreg about these guys before - I think they are parasites preying on the most vunerable people in our society. COmreg sent me a copy of the regulations governing these services, and within about 30 seconds i was able to find breeches of them all on the IPL website. I was making the point that surely IPL should have to run a disclaimer on their advertisments along the lines of "For amusement Only" or something. Comreg said they were preparing a report and would contact me for a submission, but I've not heard anything since.

Some of the Breeches:
    Please note that neither in the promotional material nor in the content of any Tarot Service should there be any reference to “discover the future”, “foretell the future” or make any claim which cannot be substantiated in fact or is solely a matter of opinion, unless the claims made are based in scientific fact (5.3.1 (iii)).

IRISH PSYCHICS LIVE is operated by genuine celtic psychics, the most psychic race in the world.
    If you want to know what the future has in store for you why not talk to one of our psychics now on

Tarot Services or Psychic Services should not make claims regarding contacting the deceased (5.2.2 (vii)).

http://www.irishpsychicslive.ie/readerprofile.aspx?uid=0ef9f049-3f09-450f-a973-19c0df29166e

Vonnie
    I have been using the 'Tarot Cards' for over 30 years. I can pick up on messages from passed loved ones and analyse your dreams

http://www.irishpsychicslive.ie/readerprofile.aspx?uid=a8254165-3991-4ffe-9b85-94348f479b04
    She can give advice on how to contact people who have passed on to the next life. She also practices the Pendulum to provide answers on unknown sex during pregnancy, health and lost items within the home giving guidance on where to look

These Services should not refer to matters of health, cures or curing/healing.

http://www.irishpsychicslive.ie/readerprofile.aspx?uid=396c349e-3fc7-49f9-b721-e5861dd7175d
    I use 'French Oracle' cards at times, with these matters of law and common sense questions are very clear. Fortune cards are my favourite. I understand their message thoroughly. Using these cards I can do weekly forecasts. I can also carry out a 6 month reading on love, health, homelife, career and pregnancy etc I also use the more playful 'Name Cards'.These allow me to find out what exactly what people say and think of you including your partner, friend or enemy!</p>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Great show... rip those scamming feckers apart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

ok, someone please tell me how to play the show - i just keep getting a 'C00D1199: Cannot play the file' error message from media player, is it a real player file or what?

Yeah it's realmedia I think... I just use media player classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

ferdi wrote:
    ok, someone please tell me how to play the show - i just keep getting a 'C00D1199: Cannot play the file' error message from media player, is it a real player file or what?

Yeah it plays in Real Player. The "psychics" bit starts after about 44 minutes so you can skip to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bounty

i usually hate kenny, but he finally impressed me by slapping this scumbag about in an argument

im more of a letterman or leno kind of talk show guy, i could see letterman ripping this guy a new asshole

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

ok I do believe in psychics..as in the kind you go and visit and get a proper face to face reading from (been to an excellent on ebut thats a different story). What stuns me though is that people are Stupid enough to actually ring something liek irish psychics live - seriously!! who is dumb enough to believe that they are gonna get a proper reading over the fone ...it stuns me it really does.
    the owner of the company sounds like a right lunatic ! However in fairness he is clever - set up a company with a really stupid idea, charge a fortune, spread the word and just hope irish people are stupid enough to fall for it.....and we are../...its our fault for being that dumb

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I'm utterly surprised in that something has made Pat Kenny rise a couple of notches in my estimation of him as a journalist. He handled that item very well and rightfully made sh!t of that conman, Higgins. Fair play to him.

bounty wrote:
    im more of a letterman or leno kind of talk show guy, i could see letterman ripping this guy a new asshole
    Forget letterman, put this scumbag infront of Judge Judy!! ... oh she'd have him in tears :D

Bard wrote:
    I'm utterly surprised in that something has made Pat Kenny rise a couple of notches in my estimation of him as a journalist. He handled that item very well and rightfully made sh!t of that conman, Higgins. Fair play to him.

Thats exactly it. We can be very quick to criticise him and others, so its only fair that we give credit where it is due.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

i'd suggest that anyone who thinks kenny isn't usually this good, should actually listen to his radio show, i think he's dire on tv, but he's untouchable on radio, you should listen to him every day, he's great stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Listened to the realaudio just now. Despite what written here I don't reckon Pat didn't get to grips with the fella and I think Higgins ran rings around him. Considering the rubbish sort of business Higgens had to defend I'm amazed he got away with it as well as he did.

He even got a plug in at the end without any interuption from Plank! Still I'm sure some of Pats muck will stick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

pigman, just having noise coming out of your mouth doesn't qualify you as putting over a valid point, higgins was spewing rubbish, pat stuck to the facts and wouldn't engage in higgins propaganda style conversation (you can't knock it if you haven't tried it)

Higgins made an absolute fool of himself at the end imo, when he said "Don't tak my word for it, don't take Pat's word for it, try it for yourself."

And, in the process, empty your pockets into his.

The fact that this guy wants (and is actively pursuing) to be the first Irish man in space should say enough about him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

pigman, just having noise coming out of your mouth doesn't qualify you as putting over a valid point, higgins was spewing rubbish, pat stuck to the facts and wouldn't engage in higgins propaganda style conversation (you can't knock it if you haven't tried it)

I know he was talking rubbish. My point is that Pat didn't get him to budge even an inch on his position bar him saying he'd fire the guy who was making mobile calls in the middle of a session.

Pat even said at one point that he'd have made a good Politician considering how adept he was at dodging the question.

I don't like Higgins, I don't agree with his pov and I don't respect what he does for a living but at the same time all Pat did was throw a bunch of accusations at him phrased in his usual brand of pseudo-hysteria.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I thought that Pat asked almost every question I would have asked, and he phrased them better than I would have :D Can't ask for more than that.

I felt the killer blow would have been to say that - by law - the psychics are not allowed to allude to any aspect of predicting the future, contacting the dead, or making any claims about health - so even if she *had* gotten the information he said she would have gotten if she had been co-operative - it would have been totally illegal.

Phew.

You can see what I mean about Pat phrasing them better than I can.

Pigman II wrote:
    My point is that Pat didn't get him to budge even an inch on his position

This Higgins guy hasn't got where he is today by budging on his position and giving in. It's his stubborn attitude that riled me the most, and his justification of what he knows isn't real, just or moral.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Pigman II wrote:
    I know he was talking rubbish. My point is that Pat didn't get him to budge even an inch on his position bar him saying he'd fire the guy who was making mobile calls in the middle of a session.

Pat even said at one point that he'd have made a good Politician considering how adept he was at dodging the question.

I don't like Higgins, I don't agree with his pov and I don't respect what he does for a living but at the same time all Pat did was throw a bunch of accusations at him phrased in his usual brand of pseudo-hysteria.
    Gotta agree with your view Pigman II.
    Someone like Jeremy Paxman would have mauled this sucker, but Kenny just came across as annoyed as Higgins had a jibe at him... you could tell as Pat was nearly shouting at one stage.
    I actually thought Higgins came across very well, considering he agreed to answer questions.
    If anything, he just made fools of people who pay for his service, and he knows it.

whiskeyman wrote:
    came across very well... he just made fools of people who pay for his service.

Someone who comes on the radio and defends what is clearly a scam aimed at making massive amounts of money out of people who are generally vulnerable and/or lonely does not "come across well" in my eyes.

My hatred for this man is only rivalled by my hatred for Tony Quinn, but thats another matter.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

He broke the law and his company had to pay a €1,500 fine on another scam.
    160,000 fake phone calls and no blame attached to him.

We don't have any one protecting telephone users in this country, that prosecution took a year to get, and the fine is little more than an overhead. As an example of how bad things will get here because of the lack of regulator/legeslation with real teeth, in the UK these type of guys factor in £100,000 fines into operating costs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement