Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Emigrating from America to . . . Ireland? Suggestions, please.

• 03-11-2004 2:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

In light of today's apparent election results, I can no longer live in the USA. It is obvious middle America and I have come to a parting of the ways.

It is my intention, in the next few months, to sell up all of my tangible assets and to relocate to an English speaking country somewhere in the world.

I have been a life-long Anglophile, but between Tony Blair's support of George W. Bush, henceforth known as 'The Idiot Bush', and Britain's long history of abusing its colonies, I feel the UK is no longer a good fit for me. They do have good theatre, though . . .

I have only visited Ireland once, for a week's driving trip in the south, and I found the country very beautiful and peaceful.

I would like to hear opinions on where in Eire I should consider. I liked Dublin, but I would prefer to stay away from really large metropolitan areas. I think Galway is my leading choice right now, particularly since the Galway economy seems to be booming.

Thanks in advance for any tips or hints.

By the way, I should add that you should not be angry with The Idiot Bush. He is only taking advantage of an opportunity afforded him by the voting population.

You should be angry with the American public, who are by a majority, too stupid, incurious, or lazy to look closely at or understand exactly what Bush's policies mean.

Literally millions of registered voters still do not understand Iraq was not behind 9/11, that Osama bin Laden and Saddam Hussien have never been in cahoots, or that Iraq was no threat of any kind to the USA. This, to me, means they're not capable of making informed decisions, and they'll get what they deserve through their ill-conceived votes.

I, on the other hand, prefer not to be subject any longer of the misguided policies of The Idiot Bush or his adoring, simple-minded supporters.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Your an American so don't be surprised to get the cold-shoulder,

I was prepared to forgive and forget america over bush If Kerry got elected, now he's re-elected no doubt he cheated, Why should we welcome americans, they invaded 2 wrong countries, every one knows saudi arabia was the place to invade. Now those over-exzuberent christian pro jewish occupation zealots plan to invaded iran & north korea. plus bush seems committed to wrecking the worlds enviornement. Just watch The day after tomorrow to see what our children will have to live with because of this individual.

regards netwhizkid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Welcome to board's ellpie and good to hear your honest views on the inpending election results. I agree totally with your points and belive its a sad day for America IMO. Regarding emigrating to Ireland be aware that a good economy means an expensive one. The average house price in Ireland is now around the €250,000 for a 3 bedroom semi-detached. This of course depends on area though. Dublin and also I'd presume Galway as well are liable to be dearer than this. Also research the job market in Ireland to give you an idea of the lifestyle you would have over here, with what you're leaving behind. Have you family? What's their views? I belive Irelands education system is up there with the best. health care would probley be cheaper from what I hear about health care in the States. That's just for starters. Feel free to ask questions here and you'll get plenty of answers. Best of luck with you're decision.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

wow, hard to believe I am seeing this, but when Bush was elected the first time I sold everything I owned and Moved to Ireland from the states.
    So here is my advice for you,
    Unless you are independently wealthy or have a job before you go over...dont bother.
    Unless you have a visa to work you will not find a job and you can call the Irish consolate general to find out what jobs are eligible for visa's by calling them.
    If you are a regular trade worker without a college degree in your field, then forget it.

You are better off going to Canada anyway, have you even thought about that?

Dont get me wrong, I love Ireland and am moving back the first chance I get but there just isnt as much opportunity for us there, they have the rest of the european union trying to move there and get work, we are really the last people they will give a job to...especially now ;)

think twice and plan well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 eelpie

netwhizkid wrote:

I was prepared to forgive and forget america over bush If Kerry got elected, now he's re-elected no doubt he cheated, Why should we welcome americans, they invaded 2 wrong countries, every one knows saudi arabia was the place to invade. Now those over-exzuberent christian pro jewish occupation zealots plan to invaded iran & north korea. plus bush seems committed to wrecking the worlds enviornement. Just watch The day after tomorrow to see what our children will have to live with because of this individual.

regards netwhizkid

After all, you might have noticed, I did not, and do not, support The Idiot Bush or his moronic, short-sighted policies. I feel he is the single most dangerous person on the planet.

I am sorry you cannot tell the difference between one group of Americans and another.

Funny, it seems The Idiot Bush has that same sort of problem with people of Middle-Eastern extraction . . .

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

eelpie wrote:
    After all, you might have noticed, I did not, and do not, support The Idiot Bush or his moronic, short-sighted policies. I feel he is the single most dangerous person on the planet.

I am sorry you cannot tell the difference between one group of Americans and another.
    He may just be referring to how other people may treat you - not himself. Regardless, I'd like to think most people here will treat you as an individual on your own merits. Any Americans I've ever encountered over here have been lovely and polite and I'd hope we'd extend you the same courtesy. I think you'll just need to be prepared for those fools who think you represent popular America solely because of your accent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Unless you're seeking asylum :D is this really a political thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I suggest you take a trip here again before you decide to move over, bearing in mind what Beat has said to you. You were on holidays here before so you were viewing the place thru rose tinted glasses. See what you think when you are now thinking about moving here.

Most of us realise that this result does not represent a large portion of Americans, I was talking and emailing some last night and this morning and they are all sick to the pit of their stomachs and are angry. Based on the Americans that I know and have met I still cannot comprehend how this man has been put into power, its going to be a very tough 4 years I fear!

ding wrote:
    Welcome to board's ellpie and good to hear your honest views on the inpending election results. I agree totally with your points and belive its a sad day for America IMO. Regarding emigrating to Ireland be aware that a good economy means an expensive one. The average house price in Ireland is now around the €250,000 for a 3 bedroom semi-detached. This of course depends on area though. Dublin and also I'd presume Galway as well are liable to be dearer than this. Also research the job market in Ireland to give you an idea of the lifestyle you would have over here, with what you're leaving behind. Have you family? What's their views? I belive Ireland's education system is up there with the best. health care would probley be cheaper from what I hear about health care in the States. That's just for starters. Feel free to ask questions here and you'll get plenty of answers. Best of luck with you're decision.

On a personal note, I am single, with no dependants, so lodging for a single person should be easier than for a family & a brood of children.

My needs are simple, though I am usually a bit proud of my motor car, and I do enjoy the theatre and the flickers.

I have some talents, and shall be looking into various career paths. I shall also be looking into the specifics of legal immigration, as I'd want to be on the right side of the Guarda.

I have a few months to do as much leg-work as possible by e-mail before the wheels start to turn.

By the way, I've been in Colorado for the past 5 years or so, so the weather shouldn't be too great a shock . . .

Cheers.

PS My father, a WWII vet and POW, feels the election of The Idiot Bush marks the end of civilisation as we know it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭Ba_barbaraAnne

netwhizkid wrote:

hi eelpie

hope you don't think that everyone in Ireland is likely to give you a hard time because of the election results!

I admire your stance and your decision to leave your country in the light of the Bush administraion's policies.

suggest you come over here for a working holiday if you can, before you burn your bridges though. It IS expensive and hard to get work if you are non EU. The west of Ireland is the best place and Galway and Mayo are great!

Best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Don't worry eelpie, you won't receive a cold shoulder or a bad reception because you're American. Americans do get a bad rep, but only the Bermuda shorts, camera around the neck, shouting to eachother in the street about quaintness, type of tourist that irritates us.

And only irritates us, at that, it doesn't make us hate American tourists - they spend a lot of money here ;). You'll probably find yourself asked about the elections (like some idiot saying to you "How come you morons voted for da gob****e Bush?"), but it's not that big a deal at all.
    But if you're living here, you'll blend in well. You won't have people look at you funny or give you abuse. You'll be treated as one of us.

Keep in mind what BEAT says. We may be English-speaking, but your barriers to working here are almost as high as our barriers to working over there. Organise a job before you leave. And a real, solid job, not some makey-uppey thing so you get access to the country and a few hundred euro in your first two months. You want a job that will carry you at least long enough for you to get aquainted with Irish culture, and gain residency rights (not sure how long this is, be prepared for the long haul).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Just like we shouldn't judge all Americans based on those that voted wrongly (IMHO), don't let ignorant people that hate Americans taint your view of the rest of people here. Most of them aren't a bad bunch :)

From a practical POV (though this isn't really suited to Politics), it'll be a hard move. If you love your car, you'll have to get used to not having one for a while as insurance here is astronomical (read the Motors board for people's quotes). All I can say is good luck and hope everything goes well for you :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Why should we welcome americans, they invaded 2 wrong countries

I hope that you are not put off by that remark. Personally I judge people also on their own merits. Please remember netwhizkid that there are a large proportion of Americans that do not support Bush's policies. Don't hold them accountable. You cannot tar everyone with the same Bush!

if you are serious about your move PM me and we can talk. I will tell you exactly what you are up against and what you will need to do. I know all the rules to gaining residency and whatnot.
    It isnt easy and you should really know what you are getting into before you take a plunge...I did not have the offer of this information before I dropped everything and moved and I ended up back in the States.

Take some advice from someone who has walked the path ;)

Unless you're seeking asylum :D is this really a political thread?

We have seen the current regime and their minions smear a decorated combat veteran, and lie endlessly about the entire Iraq debacle, among other things.

Do you believe it is beyond the realm of imagination to think Rove, Cheney, Ashcroft, et al would hestitate to root out vocal oppoents of their nefarious machinations?

Every time I see that smirking moron I cringe, and it's only going to get worse, now that he has no re-election constraints to hinder him.

Yeah, my motivation is political . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

eelpie wrote:
    Yeah, my motivation is political . . .

Stay there and fight the ****ers then! Dont be driven out of your home by a moron, you cant change things in the USA from here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭TomF

Well, if you move to Galway, be prepared for astronomical prices, on the level with Dublin's, unbelievably snarled traffic with roads into town and out of town backed-up at all hours of the day. The crime isn't as bad as in Dublin, Cork or Limerick (also known as "Stab City"), but the place is awash with students (and their vomit on the streets on the weekends when the bars and clubs close) and "blow-ins". The latter are mostly British practicing all kinds of alternative medicines or complaining that the Irish are ruining the country. Much better to remain in Colorado and continue being a "Greenie". (It just occurred to me that once I was in Colorado and the traffic between Denver and Colorado Springs is approximately what it is like in most Irish cities and towns all the time.)

First, before I'd travel I'd have a complete wardrobe of t-shirts made, with the message emblazoned, Don't Blame Me, I Didn't Vote For Him!. I'd even have one or two in French & German . . .

Second, I don't believe I'd have rose-coloured glasses about life in another country.

The best years (to-date) of my life were spent working on the television broadcast of Formula 1 racing for the USA. (I was once teamed up with one John Watson in a media croquet matched at Silverstone!)

I did seven seasons, based in the summer months in the UK, and commuting to the continental races. At the end of each season I would return to the Colonies, usually via the Japanese and Australian events.

I have worked among foreigners, and I have learned what it is to be a minority among them. F1 was a great learning experience for me. It is because of my F1 experience that I understand the USA is not the centre of the universe, and not everyone regards the US with the same awe & reverence that the residents of Missouri do.

It is because of my international experience that I have a slightly different view of America and Americans than do most of my countrymen . . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭ionapaul

If you love motor cars, don't move...unless by motor cars you meant Nissan Micras and other 1 litre monsters! This is no joke, you will not be able to afford a nice car here (or house, for that matter)
    I am from Galway and have had to leave that city - there are jobs, lots of jobs working on constuction sites and as a line worker in a multi-national factory. Not many suitable for college-education professionals unfortunately, we're all in Dublin or London!

Canada has been nominated for the best country to live in the last 4 years in a row by the UN - I'm planning to move there myself. Though I'd move back to Northern California in a second if I were able to...

Blub2k4 wrote:
    Stay there and fight the ****ers then! Don't be driven out of your home by a moron, you cant change things in the USA from here.

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. But don't make a fool of yourself!

I hate to be less than optimistic, but I have very little faith in the people of America now. Despite the lies, the corruption, the epic mistakes of The Idiot Bush, he was still elected (I will not say re-elected) by the fools of this country.

Too many Americans today are too busy with their stupid SUVs and their reality TV to be bothered with learning about the world and how it works.

Despite all the electronic wonders of the world, Americans are still isolated. Why else would the USA be on the only place on the planet that could elect The Idiot Bush after all he's done?

No, I cannot stay here, and be lumped in with all the morons in this country who will not look beyond Monday Night Football and 'Fear Factor' . . .

eelpie wrote:
    If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. But don't make a fool of yourself!

I hate to be less than optimistic, but I have very little faith in the people of America now. Despite the lies, the corruption, the epic mistakes of The Idiot Bush, he was still elected (I will not say re-elected) by the fools of this country.

Too many Americans today are too busy with their stupid SUVs and their reality TV to be bothered with learning about the world and how it works.

Despite all the electronic wonders of the world, Americans are still isolated. Why else would the USA be on the only place on the planet that could elect The Idiot Bush after all he's done?

No, I cannot stay here, and be lumped in with all the morons in this country who will not look beyond Monday Night Football and 'Fear Factor' . . .

this is so funny, its like somone pulled up my old posts the first time Bush got in office...this is exactly like what I used to say...and still say. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

eelpie wrote:

Oops! Check the schedules here first! Often a big game on Monday night and as for Fear Fcator thats one Sky One!

Mike.

ionapaul wrote:
    If you love motor cars, don't move...unless by motor cars you meant Nissan Micras and other 1 litre monsters! This is no joke, you will not be able to afford a nice car here (or house, for that matter)
    I am from Galway and have had to leave that city - there are jobs, lots of jobs working on constuction sites and as a line worker in a multi-national factory. Not many suitable for college-education professionals unfortunately, we're all in Dublin or London!

Canada has been nominated for the best country to live in the last 4 years in a row by the UN - I'm planning to move there myself. Though I'd move back to Northern California in a second if I were able to...

. . . running an older Audi over there? I prefer pre-owned, and I should be able to snag an affordable motor in the UK before crossing at Rosslare.

Insurance is no bargain in the USA any longer, unless you're 80 years old, you've never had an accident, and you swear not to drive more than 9 miles per calendar year. You see, we have a lot of uninsured motorists who run into insured motorists over here . . .

I think Canada is a nice place, but it is 1) too close to America, and 2) not close enough to Europe for my tastes.

I like the idea of hopping a flight out of Shannon or Dublin for a weekend in London, Amsterdam or Paris should the mood strike. Living in Eire you can do that if you plan ahead; living in the Colonies or Canada it is a much larger under-taking.

With my experience in the media and in sales I should be able to find something that will keep me in sausage and chips . . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

I think you would enjoy some time living in Galway, and you might find a place where you want to live for the rest of your life. The politicians in Ireland can be very bad also, but the difference here is that the average Irish person assumes their government is corrupt and would never blindly trust in the country leader. Its expensive, but far from impossible to live here, and I recommend it for the experience, especially if you make the most of your time and visit the rest of Europe as you mention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Hi eelpie :)
    My partner is american and has been living here 5 years now.
    We feel there is a few vital piece of info u need to know before making your decision....

1- You cannot for love nor money get Reeses Peanut-butter cups here :eek:

2- You cannot get "hamburger Helper" here (an most other usa foods considered "daily staples" over here btw, we just felt those two deserved special mention) ;)

3- Our "malls" are tiny compared to the USA's and there is no wall-mart, radio-shack, or k-mart here. ;)

but then again, we also have no Bush [edit](george w)[/edit]

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

1- You cannot for love nor money get Reeses Peanut-butter cups here :eek:
    They sell these here now... for years it was what I missed most about America, but they become more and more tasteless the longer you go without having one. American chocolate (hersheys bars, and Reeses in particular) is becoming much more common in shops and cafes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Illkillya wrote:
    They sell these here now....
    :eek:
    where, where, where, where?!

*drool*.....

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭scribs

Craggie Island - GREAT SPOT

Hi eelpie :)
    My partner is American and has been living here 5 years now.
    We feel there is a few vital piece of info u need to know before making your decision....

1- You cannot for love nor money get Reese's Peanut-Butter cups here :eek:

2- You cannot get "Hamburger Helper" here "and most other USA foods btw, we just felt those two deserved special mention ;)

3- Our "malls" are tiny compared to the USA's and there is no Wal-Mart, Radio-Shack, or K-Mart here. ;)

But then again, we also have no Bush [edit](george w)[/edit]

;)

1) I have recently kicked my chocolate habit, but if I hadn't I am sure the Cadbury from across the Irish Sea would have been more than sufficient!

2) K-Mart & Wal-Mart are a blight upon the landscape, and an affront to the senses. If there is something more repugnant than a grossly over-weight American woman in bright purple Spandex blocking the aisle in K-Mart on a sunny Saturday afternoon, I don't know what it is.

3) As long as there is a public house where I can partake of the local product (I prefer Murphy's to Guinness), and a library where I can gain access to an amusing novel, I should be quite content. I have already checked the Irish Times on-line, and it would appear all the major urban areas have cinemas.

Not seeing The Idiot Bush on the telly for the next four years would be an added bonus . . .

Illkillya wrote:
    The politicians in Ireland can be very bad also, but the difference here is that the average Irish person assumes their government is corrupt and would never blindly trust in the country leader.

. . . newspaper readership is higher in Ireland, as well as all the other industrialised nations of Western Europe, than in the USA. When you're a small country cheek-and-jowl next to your neighbour, like the European countries are, you've got to keep abreast of what's going on around you if you're to survive.

In the USA more people get their news from late night chat show comedy monologues than they do from the daily papers. That's how they've been fooled again.

I would also say it's unlikely for the Dublin government to invade & occupy, say, Bermuda, without having someone question their motives and rationale.

51% of the American public have voiced their misguided opinion that the invasion & occupation of Iraq were somehow correct.

How stupid is that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Redleslie2

Illkillya wrote:
    The politicians in Ireland can be very bad also, but the difference here is that the average Irish person assumes their government is corrupt and would never blindly trust in the country leader.
    Are you sure?

charlie_haughey.jpg

. . .

"It simply boggles the mind: We've already had four years of some of the most appalling and abusive foreign and domestic policy in American history, some of the most well-documented atrocities ever wrought on the American populace and it's all combined with the biggest and most violently botched and grossly mismanaged war since Vietnam, and still much of the nation still insists in living in a giant vat of utter blind faith, still insists on believing the man in the White House couldn't possibly be treating them like a dog treats a fire hydrant.

Inexplicable? Not really. People want to believe. They want to trust their leaders, even against all screaming, neon-lit evidence and stack upon stack of flagrant, impeachment-grade lie. They simply cannot allow that Dubya might really be an utter boob and that they are being treated like an abused, beaten housewife who keeps coming back for more, insisting her drunk husband didn't mean it, that she probably had it coming, that the cuts and bruises and blood and broken bones are all for her own good.

And this election, it might be all be very amusing, in a Mel Gibsony, blood-drenched hamburger-of-Christ sorta way, were it not so sad and dangerous. It might all be tolerable and cute, in a violence-engorged, sexist, video-gamey sorta way, were it not so lopsided and wrong.

This election's apparent outcome, this heartbreaking proof of a nation split more deeply and decisively than ever, it simply reinforces the feeling among much of the educated populace: It is a weirdly embarrassing time to be an American.

It is jarring and oddly shattering and makes you rethink what it really means to be a part of this country. The answer: It doesn't mean much at all. Not really. Not anymore.

This is the common wisdom on the progressive Left. Those first four toxic Bush years? A fluke. A phantasm. A stolen election. A gaffe, a mugging, a crime. But this? An election this close makes you reconsider. Maybe, after all, we aren't nearly as far along as we think. Maybe we're not all that sophisticated or nuanced or respectable a nation as we sometimes dare to dream.

Maybe, in fact, we're regressing, back to the days of guns and sexism and pre-emptive violence, of environmental abuse and no rights for women and an sincere hatred of gays and foreigners and minorities. Sound familiar? It should: It's the modern GOP platform.

Here's the thing: For tens of millions of us, it is simply unconscionable that we could possibly be led for another four years by a small and spoiled little man who has very little real idea what he's doing and even less of how the hell he got there. It would be funny, in a Adam Sandler, toilet-humored sort of way, were it not so poisonous and depressing. And yet it looks like we're stuck with it, like a shard of glass buried deep in the eye.

And the rest of the world? Well, it can only watch us and shake its collective head and wonder just what the hell is wrong with us, why so many millions of us would even consider re-electing the world's most inept and war-hungry and insanely inarticulate man to four more years of unchecked power, why our much-hyped much-coveted supposedly ultra-superior democratic system is so very deeply blotchy and knotty and spoiled.

So then, to much of Europe, Asia, Canada, Mexico, Russia, the Middle East -- to all those dozens of major world nations who want Bush out almost as much as the educated people of America, to you we can only say: We are so very, very sorry. We don't know how it happened, either. For tens of millions of us, Bush is not our president and never will be. That's how divisive. That's how dangerous. That's how very sad it has become.

And all signs point to the fact that the GOP steamroller appears to be just too powerful, just too well-oiled and blood soaked and fear inducing to be stopped just yet. After all, the Right has been working on this master plan and building their takeover strategy for about forty years. It's gonna take those of us working for change and progress and raw spiritual juice a little more than one or two to dissolve it away like the cancer it so obviously is.

Apparently, there are lessons yet to be learned. Apparently we must hit some sort of new low between now and 2008, attain some sort of seriously vicious status in the world before we will snap out of it. You think?

This much is clear: We are not, should Bush finally be declared the victor, headed for buoyancy and friendship and sincere hope for something new and refreshing. We are not, with another four years of what we just endured, headed toward any sort of easing of bitter tension, a sense of levity, or sexual openness, or true education, or gender respect, or a lightness of spirit and of step.

Maybe the best we can hope for, at this ominous and slightly sickening moment, is one hell of a lot more patience."

I just don't have the patience to wait out the neo-conservative cycle. It might not be eradicated in my lifetime . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

That is actually what I think will happen too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 7Angel7

where, where, where, where?!

*drool*.....

I can send you a whole box if you want . . . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Honestly- being one of the Majority of American's who voted for Bush and who did understand the war- who does have friends and family in Iraq serving right now- who does travel to European countries AND who has her head out of her ass..

Why don't you enlighten us then, why did your wonderful president lead your country to war?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭ionapaul

<deleted abuse - jc>
    Don't think you'll enjoy much of a 'Cead Mile Failte' welcome to boards, with that post and the leanings of most boardsters!

Calling anyone who dislikes the way their country is going a traitor is a bit silly - was Abraham Lincoln a traitor? He fought a civil war and changed the Constitution for God's sake!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

TequilaRose banned for (deleted) abuse.

Let it drop.

jc

Honestly- being one of the Majority of American's who voted for Bush and who did understand the war- who does have friends and family in Iraq serving right now- who does travel to European countries AND who has her head out of her ass..I suggest you leave the country as soon as possible. I am tired of my tax dollars supporting your love of this "ideal" government that can make your life better simply by throwing money your way. Come to think of it- if we enacted a social program to offload the traitors like yourself I would be into that.

What virulent, vicious, ignorant people like you fail to appreciate is that 50-plus million people voted against The Idiot Bush. That would hardly be a mandate by anyone's reckoning.

That would also make, by your thinking, 49% of the voting populace "traitors". I find it terribly sad that creatures of your ilk consider those who disagree with you to be "traitors", as if you have some sort of corner on the patriotism market.

I would have to question your "understanding" of the war in Iraq. After all, none of the rationales offered by the morons in the administration have been shown to be accurate or correct. Links between Iraq and 9/11? Nope. Links between Osama bin Laden and Saddam Hussein? Nope. A threat, nuclear or otherwise, to America posed by Iraq? Nope.

Sure Saddam Hussein was a bad guy, but since 100,00 Iraqis have been killed in the invasion and occupation of Iraq, it's a bit difficult to see exactly how anyone but Haliburton (read: Dick Cheney et al) has benefited.

I hope some day the fascist mentality you exhibit will be purged from the American political system, but as long as incurious, uninformed, ignoramuses like you enjoy the right to vote and procreate, America will remain in the Dark Ages.

Thank you, and have a nice day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,268 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Ah Bonkey, surely you could have let us abuse the **** out of her first? Surely we should have a week long amnesty on abusing Bush supporters that can't adaquately explain their actions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

netwhizkid wrote:

Without US investment this country's economy would be very underdeveloped - it would be like living in Honduras with lousy weather, oh wait I see you live in Kerry - it's already like that down there :D

Sleepy wrote:
    Ah Bonkey, surely you could have let us abuse the **** out of her first? Surely we should have a week long amnesty on abusing Bush supporters that can't adaquately explain their actions?

. . . what they don't fully comprehend.

The Idiot Bush waved the flag, and invoked scare tactics to incite his core supporters who, sadly, don't really understand what he's done.

Again, learning the real issues would have cut into their watching of 'Survivor'.

It's easier to resort to platitudes, slurs and smears than to debate from a basis of knowledge and information.

How else can you explain an adminstration of draft dodgers being able to smear the record of a decorated combat veteran?

Bush stopped taking flight physicals when the National Guard instituted drug testing and Kerry was smeared because he might not have shed enough blood to earn one of his three Purple Hearts!

Talk about gall . . .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

The first part of this doesn't really belong here (Travel/Holidays I suppose, I wouldn't be willing to leave the great unwashed at it in AH), second part really belongs in one of the myriad of threads discussing the election and/or possible Bush legacy. If it's a genuine question and people can take the "what we think of GWB and US voters" discussion to another thread I could move this to a place far far away where a thread of what happy folk the loveable Irish are and what it's like here could be discussed. More politics answers and I can't move the thread as I'm too lazy to split it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

oh wait I see you live in Kerry - it's already like that down there
    hey gringo, we done be doing good down there.

@ the origional poster: Why dont you also check out New Zealand and Austrailia as alternatives?
    Im not sure you would find much work with your tv background in Galway, maybe Dublin?

why isnt this in AH ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Unpossible wrote:
    hey gringo, we done be doing good down there.

only slagging - never met a Kerryman who couldn't give as good as he got ;)

Unpossible wrote:
    Why don't you also check out New Zealand and Austrailia as alternatives? I'm not sure you would find much work with your tv background in Galway, maybe Dublin?

I've been to New Zealand a couple of times and to Oz 5 or 6 times, and I always have a sense of being really far away from everything when I'm out there in the far Pacific.

Lovely places, but a bit remote.

From Western Europe (Ireland, UK) I can get to anywhere else in Europe easily, or back to the Colonies if need be . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭wheels of ire

Eelpie, you'll be most welcome. You will however encounter our own rich and ignorant rightwing retards,spouting Tequila Rose-like recycled rancidity.
    I spent 7 years in Tuscany, and was an organic farmer and a teacher of English, as well as putting in a couple of days a week in as Export Sales Manager for a boat builder and a Briar Wood producer. The Italians have an expression for this : 'Si arrangiarsi', which means you arrange yourself.
    If you are willing to learn Italian (easy) it is a joy to live in.
    It is maddeningly bureacratic, (the only thing to do is accept it), and Berlusconi notwithstanding, but the food and the weather and the wine and so on, it is a joy to live in.Another thing: Tuscany is relatively Berlusconi free.
    But should you decide to come I'd be happy to buy you a beer.And help you find good coffee!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Down to Cork when you come over, we won't give you the cold shoulder and I'll buy you a pint.

adam

. . . and I spent a good deal of time in Emilia-Romana, for the Imola race, but I prefer slightly cooler climes. After 30 years in Arizona I seem to keep heading further and fuurther north, for the cooler weather.

Now Cork, or north of there, sounds just the ticket.

And I think the new boy stands the first round, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 SteveFE

Co Clare's what you want eelpie. Full of blowins (speaking as one meself) but none the worse for that. Easy reach of Galway if you must have it, but cheaper, friendlier and all round nicer. Ennis is a miniature Irish city - all the atmosphere without the stratospheric prices (getting there though).

I got wind of the likely result this morning by way of an American friend who's just moved here. "Gotta get back and check the TV", he said, "Sounds like it's bad news". Sounds like he was right. I think he's very glad to be out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭wheels of ire

Well, France , or else nearer the Alps in la Bel'Italia, then. I have a brother living near Verona, and we probably gravitate south as a family, as one lives in Ethiopia/Oz and others have lived in Venezuela, Barbados, Madrid, and more!
    But where I lived I was able to reach the sea in 10 minutes,and living at 353m above the plain, I was already in the foothills of the Metalliferous Mountains, I was an hour from skiing.Always indolent, I was amazed to discover that I found energy, the realities of sun and heat made me get up early.
    But, like you,I was motivated.And it was a great adventure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Essey

My needs are simple, though I am usually a bit proud of my motor car, and I do enjoy the theatre and the flickers.

I have some talents, and shall be looking into various career paths. I shall also be looking into the specifics of legal immigration, as I'd want to be on the right side of the Guarda.

Cheers.

PS My father, a WWII vet and POW, feels the election of The Idiot Bush marks the end of civilisation as we know it.[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry honey - are you sure your American??? Usually Americans dont use euphuisms such are:
    Motor car
    Guarda
    Cheers
    "my needs are simple"
    You wouldnt be a Paddy on the sly now would ye?? Trying to fool these good folks now - shame on you!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement