Massive O2 problem - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

20-10-2004, 11:35   #1
stereo_steve

Send a message via Skype™ to stereo_steve
Massive O2 problem

Your gonna laugh when you hear my situation! but its causinng me alot of grief.

Sometime around January my girlfriend went on the pill. She asked me to remind her everyday at 7 to take it, so I used O2's automatic text service on the internet to do it everyday. This is a great service I thought!

In April I changed to Meteor (a far superior phone company). O2 continued sending out the messages. I was away all summer and when I returned I discovered that the messages are still being sent. This wouldn't be a problem except I am no longer with my girlfiend! As you can imagine she is quite angry and I can see her point as its harrasament now. Both of us want this stopped.She is talking about reporting me to the guards.

I've been on to O2 numerous times and they haven't cancelled the messages yet. They can't figure out how to do it! Last Friday I made a complaint to Comreg. They have done nothing.

What options do I have? I was thinking of maybe using the data protection act angle? Write them a letter saying I want all my information removed from their system. Will that have any effect?

Or report them to the guards for sending abusive messages? Because at this stage they are.

Any help will be most appreciated. Thanks
Advertisement
20-10-2004, 15:23   #2
spongebob

Can you not deactivate through the www.o2.ie login and into your misc text options there ?

I had a text sent every time a mail came in to o2.ie from a specific email address (not timed) and activated and deactivated it through the interface as I needed it.

[edit]
On reflection.... after looking at it ......this interface has changed in the past 6 months. Has anybody bookmarked any of the old dol.ie web text option pages that may still be on the o2.ie server but unlinked ? .

M

Last edited by spongebob; 20-10-2004 at 16:25. Reason: Horrible Thought.The OPtion may have disappeared from the o2.ie website
21-10-2004, 07:29   #3
pleba

if you set it up through www.o2.ie you must remove it from there also. we have all done it. I dont think its fair to expect o2 to sort out something that you can and are supposed to do yourself. i have set up several of these in the past and it takes about 30 seconds to log on and cancel them
21-10-2004, 07:48   #4
Ste.phen

I think the problem is that he's no longer with O2?
and as such, probably cant access the webtext part of the O2 site?

The feature he's talking about allows you to send a webtext with a timer, and they can be set to repeat every X days.
If he cant turn it off its up to the techies in O2.ie, no?
21-10-2004, 14:47   #5
jesus_thats_gre

Send a message via MSN to jesus_thats_gre
She sounds like a loverly girls too :/
Advertisement
21-10-2004, 19:45   #6
JTMan

Is it possible to get your ex girlfriend to phone up O2 and get your number blocked?

Last edited by JTMan; 22-10-2004 at 12:05. Reason: typo
22-10-2004, 09:52   #7
smokingman

here's what to do -

psssst....ring up their Customer care - tell them your "O2 Scheduled GroupTexts" are still being sent even though you "Ported to Meteor" and give them the username of your o2.ie account that you set it up on......
Give them two days.....

This has happened me before but without the embarasing girlfriend thing...

<puff, puff>

Mmmmm.....
22-10-2004, 11:56   #8
JTMan

El Reg have picked up on this thread. Full story here: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/10...raception_rap/
22-10-2004, 12:11   #9
The Corinthian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingman
psssst....ring up their Customer care - tell them your "O2 Scheduled GroupTexts" are still being sent even though you "Ported to Meteor" and give them the username of your o2.ie account that you set it up on......
Give them two days.....
In fairness, I suspect that this is the best course of action. It’s quite likely that simply telling them that there’s a problem won’t suffice, as they won’t know where to even begin looking. Spoon-feeding the actual solution to a bureaucracy is generally the most efficient way of getting a resolution.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fungus
El Reg have picked up on this thread.
And the lesson today, boys and girls, is in cyberspace everyone can hear you scream.
Advertisement
22-10-2004, 12:32   #10
seamus
Dental Plan!

Send a message via MSN to seamus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fungus
El Reg have picked up on this thread.
Oh dear. You're famous steve!

Don't worry about her getting onto the Gardai (as someone said, sounds like a nice girl!). You have proof about your attempts to have the service stopped, and also the fact that it was originally set up under agreement with her and with legitimate intent. The messages aren't being sent by you, nor from your account (seeing as you no longer have an account with O2), so you're not liable.

If anything O2 can be threatened with fraudulent misrepresentation and impersonation (assuming the messages are being sent with your phone number).

Last edited by seamus; 22-10-2004 at 12:34.
22-10-2004, 14:01   #11
gandalf

Hehehe Steve looks like you have gone global man
22-10-2004, 16:18   #12
D-Generate

Send a message via MSN to D-Generate
So did someone send this thread to them or does the Register person read boards.ie?
22-10-2004, 16:47   #13
Our man in Havana
Closed Account

Linkage please
22-10-2004, 17:11   #14
flapole

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/10...raception_rap/
22-10-2004, 17:34   #15
Our man in Havana
Closed Account

Thanks
Thread Closed