Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resturants in the city

Options
  • 15-10-2004 10:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi all
    wondering where you would recommend to go for a meal in galway city, i been a student there for the last four years and have never gone out for a proper meal, im graduating next week and i want to bring some of the folks out for a meal afterwards, looking at maybe 20-30euro a head that kinda stuff, decent like :), any help welcomed
    cheers,
    k

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

that price ... probably try ... McSwiggans ... book in advance if you are gonna go ... you've probably been there during that time :D ... the very top has a nice enough area to sit down .. as I said book if you're gonna be graduating ...

apart from that .. most places I can think of are nice places to eat ... not really "high" class but nice food ...

Home plate on mary's street .. between la salsa .. and mixers .. is nice enough for some simple food

Kashmir if they like indian ... set meal you can get for 45 quid for 2 people I think so that's within your budget ... last time I ate there I tried a few different things and ended up costing about 20 EUR pp ...

other places ... kacey blakes ?? is that the name of it down beside mcdonaghs .. chip shop is nice ... ate there once before but rather pricey ...

apart from that most places I can think of would be in the have a quick bite type places ...

la salsa ... not really a suit place :P ...
    bombay palace .. pretty much the same fair as kashmir ...

will think of more probably ....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Vina Mara on Miggle Street - top nosh but its a shade pricey. Cookes Wine bar? If you are bringing folk out you should pick somewhere you really like. I currently favour Milanos....

'c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Chonaic

K.C Blakes is nice, is that chip shop McDonaghs down the road from eddie rockets?

no you're thinking of .. er conlans .. *spelling* opposite the great outdoors sports shop .. think thats what its called ... haven't really been in town in ages to do any shopping ...

the food in conlans is nice enough ... :) haven't eaten there in a long time .. my preference for fish and chips though would have to be mario's .. god I love their food .. but its only a take away ...

mario's is on shop street .. opposite taffes pub at the start of the market ...
    mario's is also out ... behind bodkins .... at that student rtc residents place...

Milano's .. I find is a tad pricey ... but maybe I should take the gf there at some stage ... :) I just don't really like the window's to see everyone outside. ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Cookes Resturant and Wine Bar on Abbeygate Street is a place I recommend. Try the sizzling beef and noodles, it's quite something.

The Huntsman Inn can be rather nice also, but nothing like Cookes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

The Kebab House on dominic street is a truely fine establihsment. No need to book a table as there are none! 30 euro will get you all the kebab meat and chips the body can hold...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

And plenty more besides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Somehow I imagine the guy is looking for a classy establishment for a night out, not the Kebab House.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

If you want a good meal in a nice setting go to the Ardilaun Hotel on Taylor's Hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

FatherTed wrote:
    If you want a good meal in a nice setting go to the Ardilaun Hotel on Taylor's Hill.
    Sorry there Ted, I can't agree - it is old-fashioned food and very average service at above average cost. Most pub carvery lunches would blow the Ardilaun into the weeds. KC Blakes, Kirwans Lane, the River God, the place over Naughtons, Lemongrass, the Radisson if you are really pushing the boat out.

'c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Cactus Jacks, down beside The Quays/The Revenue office/Archeological dig site.

Good food, nice service.

Antons out by the SuperValu on Fr. Griffin Rd.
    Haven't been there myself, but I have it on good word that it's got food worth coming back for.

Somehow I imagine the guy is looking for a classy establishment for a night out, not the Kebab House.

http://www.google.ie/search?q=humor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 slynchie

Ardbia on key street is great to place to get by day or night check it out friendly and reasonable prices

slynchie wrote:
    Ardbia on key street is great to place to get by day or night check it out friendly and reasonable prices

that'd be quay street :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Devanert

top 5 restaurants in galway (in my humble opinion)

1 - Fat freddy's pizza - it is really good, i have never heard a complaint about the place ever!

2 - milano's - also very good, but all the pizzas are the same size but the taste is delicious!

3 - McDonaghs (the posh part) Excellent if you like seafood!

4 - The royal villa in shop street - miles ahead of most chinese restaurants

5 - kebab house (what can i say, the place is good!)

hope i have been some help. now i am going to study for my mocks again because i am in yeats and they never feckin leave us alone with all these poxy tests. . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Intel

I would sugggest Donnely's in Barna. Its worth thetrip out and cheaper than anywhere in town. I also hear that O'Gradys on the pier is also meant to be nice enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭DS

Charcoal Grill is far far better than Kebab House. Get a cheese burger there and ask for plenty of chilli garlic. Unbelievable. There's just no comparison between Kebab and Charcoal. The burgers in Kebab are much drier because most of the time they're precooked and then heated. The chilli and garlic sauces are far better in Charcoal and the salad is fresher. I'll be genuinely shocked if anyone disagrees. The kebabs are also great. Opposite the cornstore on cross street by the way, for the unenlightened.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

No bowl...STICK!

Intel wrote:
    I would sugggest Donnely's in Barna. Its worth thetrip out and cheaper than anywhere in town. I also hear that O'Gradys on the pier is also meant to be nice enough.

I concur.

The crab bake is rather nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭dawballz

Well I know you've probably graduated ages ago but I've just stumbled accross this thread. The Old Malt just off shop street is excellent, great service and lovely food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Kirwan's Lane : Best meal I've ever had in my native city
    Lemongrass: Nice too
    Thai Garden: Pricey for what you get, but damn tasty
    O'Grady's on the Pier: Very nice

Donnelly's is not up to par, IMO - eaten at the Ardilaun many many times and its not amazing either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 GapingHeadwound

Casa Morelli in the Bridge Mills is really really good authentic Italian food.

Very affordable (wine list is as well).

Advertisement