Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky+ 160 GB Launch

• 15-10-2004 9:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭

Just got a letter from sky to say the new 160 gb box will be launching end of this month in ROI. No info on price yet

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

Will there be an upgrade option from older boxes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Sky plus uses a standard pc hard drive so all you have to do is buy a bigger one say 250Gb and put it in and restart the Sky Box it does the formating and all for you i saw it on a site a step by step and did it so cool with 250Gb space now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 243 ✭✭kevmac

Digital Spy Sky+ Upgrade FAQ at

http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=156344

Digital Spy - Sky+ Upgrade FAQ - 26th September 2004

1. Introduction
    2. Disclaimer
    3. What version of Sky+ Receiver do I have?
    4. What kind of Hard Disk should I upgrade my Sky+ with?
    5. What is the biggest size Hard Disk that I can upgrade my Sky+ with?
    6. What is the "17 minute bug"?
    7. Preparing to install the new Sky+ HD
    8. Installation of the HD
    9. Common observations
    10. Credits

1. Introduction

This article was written with two aims. 1) to serve as a one-stop resource for potential Sky+ upgraders, and 2) to avoid the common situation of same old questions being asked in a post, time and time again.

The popularity of Sky+ upgrades is so high that it’s resulted in large threads that some people do not wish to search through, hopefully this FAQ can help answer most of the questions that you may have.

2. Disclaimer

By following the below information, you will void your warranty with your Sky+ hardware. Digital Spy Ltd and its forum users can and will not be responsible for any damaged hardware should a Sky+ box be damaged in any way during the following of these procedures. You and you alone take responsibility for this.

To Sky+ V1 users: by following these intructions you risk being infected with the "17 minute bug". This bug still exists with your hardware and hasnt been fixed by Sky yet.

3. What version of Sky+ Receiver do I have?

When you have Sky+ installed, you will have one of the following:

Pace Sky+ V1: Largest of the three Plus boxes available. Has the Interactive card slot in the middle, with the Led counter on the left.

Pace Sky+ V2: Smaller than the Pace V1 Sky+ box. Has the Interactive card slot on the left with the Led counter in the middle.

Amstrad Sky+: Equal in size as the Pace Sky+ V2 and looks identical, apart from the Interactive card slot being on the right, and the control buttons on the left.

There will soon be a new Thomson built Sky+ receiver released with an official 160gb Hard Disk and USB ports.

4. What kind of Hard Disk should I upgrade my Sky+ with?

Every Sky+ unit is installed with a 40gb Maxtor Hard Disk, spinning at 5400rpm. The majority of Sky+ upgraders have used Maxtor HDs running at 5400rpm with capacities of 80gb, 120gb, and more recently for any V2 users 160gb and 250gb. 300gb Maxtor 5400rpm drives have been tested but do NOT work on V2 boxes.

The general consensus is that the ideal HD to go for runs at 5400rpm, cache shouldn’t be a concern. The majority of successful upgrades have been done with primarily Maxtor drives but also Samsung and IBM work well.

Automan suggests the following for V2 upgrades:

250gb Drive: Maxtor 5A250J0
    160gb Drive: Maxtor 6Y160P0
    120gb Drives: Maxtor 6Y120L0, Samsung SV1204H, Samsung SP1203N
    80gb Drive: Maxtor 6YO80L0

For reference, standard HD fitted in a Sky+ V2 is a Maxtor 2F040L0

As for Prices, I highly recommend copying the above code of the HD you are interested in, and running a price search at www.pcindex.co.uk. This will give you the cheapest price and stock availability for your target HD. A 250gb should be no more than £100 as I write this.

5. What's the biggest size Hard Disk that I can upgrade my Sky+ with?

The current situation with upgradable HDs are as follows:

Pace Sky+ V1: The maximum size HD that you can install is 120gb. However the "17 minute bug" (see below) still exists with the V1 receiver.

Pace Sky+ V2: The maximum size HD that you can install at the moment is 250gb. So far, dozens of DS users have installed this size HD, and not experienced the "17 minute bug". The latest firmware upgrade for the Pace V2 box seems to have allowed a higher capacity HD to be installed, which would make sense if the advertised "Official" 160gb Sky+ receiver was to use the same hardware as the V2 machines.

Amstrad Sky+: It seems the maximum size HD that you can install at the moment on the Amstrad Sky+ receiver is 250gb. With fewer users of this new machine around, feedback is at a slower rate but it does look to be the same situation with the Pace V2 owners.

6. What is the "17 minute bug"?

The "17 minute bug" has plagued many owners who upgraded their Sky+ machines (and unfortunately some users who haven’t) since the firmware containing the Duel Recording functionality was released. The bug freezes any Sky+ recordings at the hour mark, effectively ruining a recording that runs beyond this duration. A major symptom of this bug is that the infected program always jumps back to the seventeen minute mark if you are to fast forward or rewind through your recording between 17 minutes and the time the recording freezes.

The 17 Minute Bug can infect otherwise successful recordings if the "unfixed" Sky+ machine is reset, or if the Sky+ box is over 80% of its capacity.

It looks like the latest version of the Sky+ V2 firmware for both Pace and Amstrad receivers have fixed this bug, but the 17 minute bug still exists on V1 machines. We hope Sky will fix the V1 firmware at a later date, as there no manual fix we can perform ourselves.

7. Preparing to install the new Sky+ HD

Ok, so you have taken the plunge and have in your hands a nice new Hard Disk to upgrade your Sky+. What do you need to do beforehand?

First of all, watch your recordings and make a note of all your series links. Then, you need to purchase the correct screwdriver bit (T10 Torx Security bit) to open your Sky+ receiver with. This can be purchased from the following links:

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/sea...1&cd=1&x=13&y=8

or

http://www.maplin.co.uk (code GU60Q)

If you have bought a Maxtor drive, it is worth running the Maxtor utilities to turn off Write Verify and set the HD to Quiet mode. DS user Nickleics documented this perfectly:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nickleics

1. You need 2 x blank floppy disks.
    2. Download POWERMAX from Maxtor website
    http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/M...s&downloadID=22
    3. Run the POWERMAX self-extraction - it will save itself to one of the blank floppies that you have. No need to have it formatted, it will overwrite the whole disk.
    4. Download WVSET from Maxtor website
    http://maxtor.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/...hp?p_faqid=1210
    5. Download AMSET from Maxtor website
    http://maxtor.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/...hp?p_faqid=1200
    6. Format the other floppy disk with system files on it.
    7. Run the WVSET and AMSET self-extracting files and have them save to the floppy disk.
    8. Turn off PC, disconnect existing HDDs, and connect the Maxtor.
    9. Turn on PC, with Powermax floppy disk in drive.
    10. Powermax will start, run Initialization check on it to confirm that it is installed correct.
    11. Restart PC, boot from other floppy disk.
    12. Run WVSET /OFF to turn off write verify.
    13. Run AMSET /QUIET to turn on quiet mode.
    14. Switch off and disconnect HDD, reconnect old HDDs.
    15. Check that the CSS jumper is set on the drive.
    16. Turn off instant rewind on Sky+.
    17. Sky+ off, then follow installation instructions on Hummer's website

8. Installation of the HD

Right. You have the HD, you have watched your recordings, made a note of the series links and have the right tools for the job. You’re ready.

I direct you to the oracle of Sky+ Upgrading. Automan's excellent site.

http://www.hummer.co.uk/sky.htm

9. Common observations

Due to the nature of the larger HD, the physical size of the drive is bigger, but should still be small enough to fit snugly into your Sky+ receiver.

The IDE cable of the Sky+ machines is tight, but be gentle when disconnecting it, it WILL come out. This will save any damage caused to the ribbon and to your hand should you slip!

A lot of upgraders have noticed that the Fan in the upgraded Sky+ box stays on for a long time, if not all the time. It is the belief of many that this is due to the firmware. The fan on the Sky+ machines are quite robust and in most cases the fan noise isn’t noticeable, even if you sleep in the same room as the Sky+ unit.

The latest Sky+ firmware instructs the HD to wind down when not in use, so cooling is less of an issue as before. If you believe your Sky+ unit requires cooling and you can not relocate it to a area with improved airflow, Automan's site contains good advice for what to do to help cool your Sky+ box.

When you are done installing your Sky+ HD, enjoy. It is worth keeping the old Sky+ HD safe and sound should you have any problems with your receiver in the future. There is no warranty seal on the Sky+ receiver so in theory you could put the original drive back in the machine should you have to replace the unit.

10. Credits

Automan - many thanks for your stellar guide to everything that is Sky+, I am sure that it’s been a one-stop resource for hundreds of people who have benefited from your instructions and observations.

Nickleics - thank you for your excellent AMSET instructions.

All Digital Spy Sky+ Upgraders - thank you for all of your feedback and support for fellow DS users.

Please DO NOT reply to this post with any questions or issues to your Sky+ box. Please ONLY reply should you wish any additions or point out any corrections to this FAQ.

Kind regards

Dan

Last edited by DanVitale : 26-09-2004 at 19:04.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭beolight

anybody know what size hard drive you will get with new installation of sky plus due to be done next week? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mickeyboymel

beolight wrote:
    anybody know what size hard drive you will get with new installation of sky plus due to be done next week? :)

40GB,The new boxes are not on general release yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭beolight

MMM DRAT :(

is it worth cancelling installation and holding out for another week or two?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mickeyboymel

beolight wrote:
    MMM DRAT :(

is it worth cancelling installation and holding out for another week or two?

I would say yes,but bear in mind the next generation boxes will cost a good bit more than the present boxes,and if you have already purchased the present model,the 160GB is not an upgrade,but a completely new product line-as in the third generation of Sky Box if you like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 243 ✭✭kevmac

Just installed the recommended Maxtor 250GB into my Sky+.

Simple 15 minute procedure as above and am now getting roughly 1% disk space for every hour of video recorded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

kevmac wrote:

Simple 15 minute procedure as above and am now getting roughly 1% disk space for every hour of video recorded.

Well done Sir

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Wiggy

kevmac wrote:

Kevmac - where did you get the security screwdriver?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Wiggy wrote:
    Kevmac - where did you get the security screwdriver?

You can pick them up anywhere. While T10 Torx Security bit sounds very technical it's just a standard sized Torx screwdriver. Good tool/hardware shops and places like Maplin should have them readily for sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 driver1

I didn't bother with the security tool. I just used pliers with no probs. Took fifteen minutes to install 250Gb disk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 GingerNut

Just completed installing a 250gb drive in a Pace V2.

I too tried to get those three case screws out with pliers, but could only work one of them loose. So I picked up a multi-bit screwdriver set for £3.99 in Focus, which includes the T1 Torx bit you need. Even so, I had real trouble getting the screws out!

Once inside the box, I found I needed that same screwdriver bit to undo the 4 retaining screws for the HDD. The T10 bit undid these no problem. It seems that the case screws are some variation of the T10 type. Anyway, the bit hardly bites in them. So I have not bothered to screw them back in.

It all seems to be working, so a big thanks to all those who have contributed material to enable others to take advantage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

I'm looking into getting sky plus, saw a few of the 160gb boxes on ebay recently. Is it worth me forking out for one of these new fangled boxes or will I just get a v2 box from ebay and stick a 250gb maxtor in it?

I suppose the question I'm really asking is, are there any extra bells & whistles on the 160gb box that would be of any benefit? I've heard theres a usb port on it or something to that effect that would allow you to save video onto a pc and upload movie clips and pics to the digibox...

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭bazza

Excellent question Rymus - I'm just considering the same thing myself. Would it be best to go with a 40GB V2 box and upgrade it myself or get the 160.

Either way, its got to be worth waiting until the official launch here to see what price the 160 will be (bound to be more expensive) and if they drop the cost of the older v2 box.

But anyway - does anyone know if a 160 has any advantages over the older v2 boxes apart from the bigger disk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭Strasser

Does anyone know if you already have a V2 Sky+ 40GB box and you bought a 160 can you just unplug all the leads from the old box and plug them into the new 160 box and it will work? I presume your card would have to be deactivated from the old box and switched on for the new box, does this take long or it it simply a phone call to sky. (I say simply advisable here, I'm presuming at least 20 minutes.)

Strasser wrote:
    Does anyone know if you already have a V2 Sky+ 40GB box and you bought a 160 can you just unplug all the leads from the old box and plug them into the new 160 box and it will work? I presume your card would have to be deactivated from the old box and switched on for the new box, does this take long or it it simply a phone call to sky. (I say simply advisable here, I'm presuming at least 20 minutes.)

Yes this is possible, just unplug leads one at a time so as not to mix them up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭smileyrecords

he he hilarious i have over 1200GB on my main media pc thats connected to a ntl digital box, with Timeshifting/MPEG2 Capture/Video Editing/MPEG4 Compression software running.

beats sky+ anytime :)

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I had better put the new Sky 160 on my Santa wishlist! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭kevpatts

I found it VERY difficult to find a Maxtor 250GB (5A250J0) drive to buy in Ireland, I searched for ages cause I didn't want to get one in england (because of the difficulties if it breaks).

I finally found one ... in my computer! Handy enough.

I'm gonna take a stab at this after I get a replacement drive my empty my MP3s onto. Arriving today.

I've a pace V2 box. Anything I should be concerned about before I fire ahead, any little things? Has anyone figured out a way of accessing the data on these drives? anyone have any info on what fat structure it uses?

I'm gonna try to figure it out for you all if noone has.

Kev

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Couch Potato

Elara have the Maxtor Drives as follows :

http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=ECS834177&productID=

192 yoyos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

he he hilarious i have over 1200GB on my main media pc thats connected to a ntl digital box, with Timeshifting/MPEG2 Capture/Video Editing/MPEG4 Compression software running.

how have you linked the media pc to the ntl digital box? I have an ATI AIW capturing scheduled programs but it means scheduling manually on both the pc and the ntl box. I see the ntl box has an ethernet port -know anythign about it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Apart from the lousy compression ntl uses... and the digital-analogue-digital recording.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭dmeehan

Tony wrote:
    Just got a letter from sky to say the new 160 gb box will be launching end of this month in ROI. No info on price yet
    the 160GB box will be €599 with an installation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

dmeehan wrote:
    Ouchy! Cheaper to do a DIY upgrade!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭Strasser

Wow, thats ridiculously expensive. How much to buy it off the shelf without installation I wonder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

dmeehan wrote:

[cough] rip off [/cough]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Colm80

I cant see the 160Gb takeing off at that price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,930 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

€599????? Methinks I'll just buy a Hard drive from Komplett/Elara and install it - assuming I'll need the extra capacity anyway that is :) Glad I didn't bother hanging on now before ordering my V2 box...

Will Sky then give you a choice now or is the V2 box being replaced with the 160GB version? And is there any real difference aside from capacity?

• Advertisement

dmeehan wrote:

If that price is correct its already dead in the water. When will they ever learn. I'll bet money this price will drop after Christmas if not before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭okcomputer

John R wrote:
    Apart from the lousy compression ntl uses... and the digital-analogue-digital recording.

...and the fact that you can only watch one NTL channel at a time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭richieg

Does anyone think they will offer both boxes for those of us who can't justify 600 euro?

problem:

okay, just got my new drive in and started up, did housekeeping etc and running fine. Only thing is the settings for my banner are stuck on "0 seconds". his means I can't flick through channels using the up/down arrows on the remote.

Anyone else have this problem?

Kev

p.s. thanks to all who've given advice here, saved me 405 euro!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭okcomputer

does anyone feel that having a 160gb or even 250 gb harddrive would mean that you never watch the programmes you record for ages?

at least with 40gb you are forced to watch stuff straight away (hence its not outdated) as you have to make room to record more stuff....just a thought.

Fixed that problem. All I needed to do was unplug it and plug it back in.

okcomputer wrote:
    does anyone feel that having a 160gb or even 250 gb harddrive would mean that you never watch the programmes you record for ages?

at least with 40gb you are forced to watch stuff straight away (hence its not outdated) as you have to make room to record more stuff....just a thought.
    I thought about that before doing it and I don't think so. I'd say I'll get used to disiplining myself to watch stuff. It always annoyed me when I had to delete something I wanted to keep for a while because my dad or mum wanted to record Fairly ****ty.

Kev

• Advertisement

Anybody know if you can backup recordings to these DVD Recorders ?

Anybody know if you can backup recordings to these DVD Recorders ?

Sorry I meant SKY+ recordings ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

yes. I often archive good stuff (mostly Jools Holland shows and other music stuff... plus films for the kids) on to DVD-R. Transfer via RGB to a Panny HS2. Works great - I can edit out all the adverts very quickly on the Panny and then dump onto DVD-R.
    The copy function from the Sky+ planner is great for lining up a few shows and letting them copy overnight.
    Have just upgraded my Sky+ box to a 250GB drive and it's working great. Even she-who-must-be-obeyed is impressed.

Thanks Shabby Road ..

What's a Panny HS2 - Panasonic something ... ?????

What's a Panny HS2 - Panasonic something ... ?????
    Panasonic DMR HS2

• Advertisement

cool - thanks...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

No problems with heat either, I set it to record for a few hours and then took the lid off to check the heat and it was only slightly warm. PC hd gets hotter than this. So the idea that only 5400 RPM drives can be used seems to be a bit of a red hering.

The only difference I've noticed is that the case fan stays on all the time.
    I'm only sorry I didn't do this sooner. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭Tony H

hey bricks , what hard drive did you use , im thinking of upgrading mine with a
    Maxtor DiamondMax 10 160GB IDE ATA/133 8MB cache 7200RPM from komplett but i was thinking it might run too hot

Hey, sorry to revive an old thread but this is the only relevant place I could find to post this.

I upgraded the drive in my sky box about 8 month ago to a Maxtor 50250J0 250Gb. Still to this day I have never had a problem.

What I was wondering is: Is it possible to use the 40Gb drive in a PC? I can't seem to get any machine to boot with it in. Is there some way the drive is modded that I can undo?

Regards
    Kev

you will need to change the jumper to master/slave and format the disk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

bricks wrote:
    The only difference I've noticed is that the case fan stays on all the time.

Yea same here, after I upgraded mine to 160GB the cooling fan is on 24/7, does anyone know how to stop this, or why it's always on??

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Are the disk drive speeds (ie was old disk 5400rpm and new disk 7200rpm) the same maybe the board is picking up the HD is spining very fast and thus it must be doing a lot of work and needs cooling .... may be talking crap here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Did you run the Maxtor utilities as suggested?

kevpatts wrote:
    Hey, sorry to revive an old thread but this is the only relevant place I could find to post this.

I upgraded the drive in my sky box about 8 month ago to a Maxtor 50250J0 250Gb. Still to this day I have never had a problem.

What I was wondering is: Is it possible to use the 40Gb drive in a PC? I can't seem to get any machine to boot with it in. Is there some way the drive is modded that I can undo?

Regards
    Kev

The maxtor utilities are intended for use on the drive going into the Sky+ box, I'm concened about the drive coming out of the box.

Don't worry about it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement