Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Absinth in Dublin

Options
  • 20-09-2004 8:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭

Anyone know where to purchase Absinthe around (southside) Dublin? Sebor Absinth preferably but if anyone has any suggestions on a better brand, please feel free to post. N.B. I'm looking for the proper stuff with wormwood and thujone, and not more than 70 euro a bottle.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

i'll sell you a bottle i bought in prague....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

PM me with price/brand. Anyone else - I'd prefer to actually buy it in an offy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

I seen they had a bottle or two in the offy beside whelans a few months ago. I can't remember what brand it was though. It was about 50-60 euro then so it's probably gone up by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

The stuff is sick :( why would you ever want to drink it I can't figure it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

that stuff is just sickening, a friend of mine brought a bottle of this back from the czech republic when he was on holidays and we did a few shots of it back at his place and i nearly got sick all over the place!!!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

hahaha absinthe,man ive had so many good nights with that stuff,
    the only absinthe ive seen around dublin is crappy 40% knockoff sh*te that isnt even wormwood absinthe,if i was you id take agent^smiths offer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

As GaRtH_V says, most of the stuff you see in Ireland is of a far lower 'quality' that the eastern European stuff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

mm, personally I'm not a big fan of alcahol but i suppose that's no reason for me not to show you how to make your own absinthe, although it won't be the same as the stuff you'll buy in bottles.. i dunno what they mix that with.

http://www.innerspace.nl/shop/index.php?f=spd&id=hb-abs

this is a smartshop i was in in holland, they had the absinthe herb on the counter...crazy stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Micro1

Yoy dont mix anything with it.
    Take one spoon, fill it with suger. Heat the spoon ontill the suger starts to sizzle. Mix this in with about 2 shots worth Absinth, down it, and then goodnight.

Absinth is more drug than drink. Try the method above, but bewarned itll make you go mad. Lots of fun though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

I remember seeing it in a shop in Dawson st a good while ago... was around 60 euro for a bottle.

Im just back from Lanzarote and i bought four bottle of the stuff... one for me and the rest for my three mates.... only cost 14 euro for a 70cl bottle (70& proof)... the bottle i got was 16 euro for a 70cl bottle (75% proof), it was red colour... never saw that before.... havnt tried it yet though... going to wait till Haloween when a gang of us go away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

ahhh hell im havin flashbacks of drinkin that stuff
    burns the throat off ya

anyone seen it for sale in limerick ? would love a bottle of that

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

i remember drinking the guts of a bottle of that in prague one night,

****ing hell, is all i can say, i dont think i've ever got that spaced out before......

lethal stuff, made me start thinking the bottle was melting....

I'd recomend it, but be warned, it's very very dangerious in the wrong hands

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Its great...but take it slooooow ! Your fairly tipsy after a few shots...

Absinth is more drug than drink. .

ROFL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭eoin_f

IF you are looking for real absinthe 'le fee verte' you will have to purchase it from a store abroad as regulations in most european countries do not allow the true manufacturing of absinthe. To make sure it is proper absinthe it must be made with 'artemesia absinthium' commonly known as wormwood. Most are infused with an extract thus negating the psychotropic qualities given to the original. If you are looking for recipies to manufacture your own gice me a shout, is pretty easy once you know what you need, the wormwood you can purchase in many reputable garden centres about teh cuontry.

Best of luck on your hunt.

E.

Why oh why had I not seen this before?! Absinthe is great. Here's a post I put up in a dunk in work forum.

Absinthe is possibly the coolest drink ever! While I was living in Vienna, we had to drink as it was so cold. (obviously. -26 degrees on christmas day, what else can you do?) Anyway, we were out ALL DAY and at 8pm we decided to do an Absinthe challenge. One bottle between 3 people. In two hours, the sugar works etc..
    Two hours later we left the pub, mission accomplished. Feeling a wee bit "merry", I threw a snowball at my g/f and hit a passerby about 15ft away from her. That mould have been fine but the passerby had 6 friends with them. Cue the biggest snowball fight ever! The bar emptied and there was possibly 40 people throwing snowballs at each other and all complete strangers! Needless to say, I fell on my ass lots.
    We went to a club, someone passed me a weird cigarette and after that it got messy. You know the "smack my bitch up" video by the Prodigy? That was my vision. I was bouncing off pillars, walls, people etc.
    And I can tie this in to this thread, because after all this shananigans I called into the bar I worked in and had to help out. I ended up doing a strip on the bar I worked in. Thank god there was no CCTV.

And the morale of the story is: Absinthe makes you absent :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,851 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

can't remember where I read this but apparently the quantity of psychotropic ingredients even in genuine absinthe is miniscule and scientists reckon that the reason it ****s you up so much (and sent all those turn-of-century bohemians mad) is the gargantuan quantities of alcohol in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Ive never drank it before but i will be :D my bird was in Barcelona a few months back and seen as it was her birthday decided to treat herself to a few shots,she cant remember anything for the next 5 hours :eek: said she`s never been as out of it so this sounds especially good to me........ :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 KT 5

anyone know where i can get absinthe in galway (the real deal 80%) not that watered down stuff.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement