Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kryptonite locks - warning

Options
  • 20-09-2004 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭

From yahoo news - Kryptonite locks can be opened with a pen. If you are relying on one for the security of your pride and joy be aware that it is not as secure as you would be let to believe.

'ceptr

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

"Page not found"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Try typing "kryptonite" into Google News - stories like this abound...

http://thedaily.washington.edu/news.lasso?-database=DailyWebSQL&-table=Articles&-response=newspage.lasso&-keyField=__Record_ID__&-keyValue=10174&-search

What a bummer, I have 4 or 5 of these (worked in a Boston bike shop on my J1 visa)

There is a recall/replacement link at www.kryptonite.com

PS: I had heard as long ago as 1985 that this was possible, but obviously this is one of the bad things about the 'net - bad tips of the trade spread just as fast as good ones :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,578 ✭✭✭uberwolf

whilst certainly kryptonite have a great reputation no there is no such thing as a lock protecting your bike. Where you leave it is the key factor I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Very true - sorry the link died btw.

I always bring mine into wherever I am going and only lock it to a radiator once inside. It does p1ss the folk in shops off, but I've never had a bike nicked....

'c

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

what kind of lock is best to get so cos I have to buy one at weekend.. what kind of money should I expect to pay.. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

saw this the other day...if i remember correctly it is the older "new york" lock but most locks after 2002 should be ok. I can't swear by this but i can try and find out in the morning.

EDIT: here are some movies of the pen being used

Cork_girl wrote:
    what kind of lock is best to get so cos I have to buy one at weekend.. what kind of money should I expect to pay.. :confused:

kinda complicated function of how much you value your bike I'd say TBH. I paid 40 last week.

well my bike wouldn't exactly be anything major but it's vital for getting to and from college... so I dunno.. where is best place to go get one? there's a bike shop in ucd.. but I 've heard they're very expensive..

they are a little expensive thats where I got my lock, and I have to say the range ain't exactly great. There is a problem in UCD with bike theft though, be aware of that.

yeah heard about that alright.. but I'm sure my poor bike wouldn't be a star attraction!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭worded

http://www.lockitt.com/CableOxford235LP.htm

The Oxford lock is excellent. Ive had 7 bikes robbed on me but never with this revolver type of lock.

They are normally 40 - 45 in the city ....... but

Delaney’s on Harold’s cross bridge sell them for 20! (There is no need to get the heavier one for a push bike)

They are great locks for speedy locking.

I dont work for Oxford or Delaney’s but appreciate that they are not ripping everyone off like everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Titan_soul

If the bike is the same value as it's backround it wont be seen by anyone.

Advertisement