Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do in Cork (besides DRINK!!)

Options
  • 11-08-2004 11:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭

Guys/Girls,

What the hell do ye all do in Cork besides drink & visit the cinema. Im sick to the teeth of doing both of these & surely there most be something else to do on a weekend besides this..

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

I went karting with a few friends two or three weeks ago down in Watergrasshill. It is €35 for half an hour (I think it is €20 for 15 mins) which is a bit expensive but it is great fun.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Go to a /different/ pub or cinema. Go bowling, go play Quasar, go to the beach, go visit Cork Gaol or Blarney Castle, go for a walk in Fitzgeralds Park, go shopping, go to a play, go see a band, go watch a match, go visit an art gallery, go watch a comedian, go paintballing. But above all, don't perpetuate the myth that there's nothing to do in Cork. Otherwise, just go.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

ShaneOC wrote:
    I went karting with a few friends two or three weeks ago down in Watergrasshill. It is €35 for half an hour (I think it is €20 for 15 mins) which is a bit expensive but it is great fun.

Karting is great craic but it's so expensive everywhere. Half an hour isn't exactly the makings of a day out is it and I wouldn't like to pay more then that.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

dahamsta wrote:
    Go to a /different/ pub or cinema. Go bowling, go play Quasar, go to the beach, go visit Cork Gaol or Blarney Castle, go for a walk in Fitzgeralds Park, go shopping, go to a play, go see a band, go watch a match, go visit an art gallery, go watch a comedian, go paintballing. But above all, don't perpetuate the myth that there's nothing to do in Cork. Otherwise, just go.

adam

Somebody should fit that on a t-shirt. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

+fishing, golfing, quadbiking,browse the bookshops, swim, climb up shandon steps backwards, hike up hungry hill, go sailing in schull, pick flowers in clonakilty, canoe in oysterhaven, have an expensive dinner in kinsale, sneer at hippies in dunmanway, enter a tyre-rolling competition on Cape Clear, watch whales off the Mizen head, put on an English accent in Castletownshend, did you mean just Cork City?, antagonise a group of Norries, go horse riding/pony trekking, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

then there's Fota and Cobh. Accessible by train if you've no transport.
    If you have a car, take up golf - there's lots of great courses in Cork.
    Try surfing/canoeing/sailing.

Head to Youghal or Garryvoe to the beach ...

As was said above - there's plenty to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Danni

K, thanks for all the suggestions but i meant just in the city.. Im not saying there's nothing to do in Cork City alone. I think this country is so fu*ked up from drink that everybody's weekend revolves around the pub and i dont want that anymore (not EVERY weekend anyway)

Being on all the spins to the beaches
    Comedian = comedy club = drink
    Karting sounds interesting, is it available at night though?
    Bowling/Quasar, will be full of kids (except in the mardyke i suppose)
    Not interested in the GAOL or Blarney Castle, been there, done that
    Watch a match, will do. Soccer season starts soon so ill be going to all my boyfriends matches
    PaintBalling, where can you do this in cork. I'd love to try that
    Fishing, Golfing.. no thanks!
    Horse-Riding, would LOVE to do this but every place i've rang only do LESSONS on a sat and you've to book for a full term. I just want to have a horse for an hour & gallop around fields. If anybody knows where i can do this, please leave me know!

Danni wrote:
    Comedian = comedy club = drink
    So don't drink.
    Bowling/Quasar, will be full of kids (except in the mardyke i suppose)
    Leisureplex is fine, particularly after 8 or 9pm. Bring a group and make an evening of it: Roll a few down the lanes, have a game of Quasar for the laugh, couple games of pool or snooker to wind down, maybe a few video games thrown in for fun. I like air hockey meself.
    Soccer season starts soon so ill be going to all my boyfriends matches
    You're thinking of foreign football, the Irish soccer season is only coming to a head now. Get yourself out to a proper game in Turners Cross this Friday, City V Shels.
    PaintBalling, where can you do this in cork. I'd love to try that
    Kinsale as far as I know.
    Horse-Riding, would LOVE to do this but every place i've rang
    Where did you ring? Hitchmoughs?

adam

deRanged wrote:
    then there's Fota and Cobh.

Fota rocks, I'd go there once a month if I could get people to come with me. Got me "Conservation Membership" and everyfing.
    Head to Youghal or Garryvoe to the beach ...

Garryvoe's a bit dodgy at the moment, there's a load of plankton clogging everything up at the moment. Youghal is great though.

1IMG_03251-med.JPG

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

antagonise a group of Norries

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

Regarding the soccer thing, i'm sure she was referring to MSL or AUL not the english premiership :P

I was being sacastic, but sure only the eL counts like! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

dahamsta wrote:
    Fota rocks, I'd go there once a month if I could get people to come with me. Got me "Conservation Membership" and everyfing.
    I used have one - but I let it lapse after 2 or 3 years.

dahamsta wrote:
    Garryvoe's a bit dodgy at the moment, there's a load of plankton clogging everything up at the moment.
    oh right. haven't been there in a while. usually head to Youghal - preferably Redbarn. It's nice to walk across from the Front Strand.

"Sure he was glowing when he came out after his swim!" :)

http://www.u.tv/newsroom/indepth.asp?id=48533&pt=n

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭DivX

That article didn't seem to put off all people that are down in Garryvoe every weekend, hundreds of em... or is that all the weddings lately? Ballinamona strand is probably a nicer beach anyway, its between Shanagarry and Ballycotton and is usually clean.

Anyone try the quad biking just outside Ladysbridge, remember that being alot of fun when i did it a few years ago.

As for house riding there are a pile of them around the city, and they don't all need you to sign a contract of several lessons, yellow pages comes in useful... (i'm just too lazy atm).

DivX wrote:
    That article didn't seem to put off all people that are down in Garryvoe every weekend, hundreds of em... or is that all the weddings lately?
    Won't stop me either, the sister's going to Burke's next week so I'll be popping down meself a few times. :)
    Ballinamona strand is probably a nicer beach anyway, its between Shanagarry and Ballycotton and is usually clean.
    Errah Garryvoe strand hasn't been anything special for a decade or more, I'm just addicted to the place cos I was down there since I was two. Our mobile home was conventiently "damaged in a storm" a few years ago and we were hunted out of it by the ars3holes that took over O'Briens. If I ever meet those feckers in a dark alley...
    Anyone try the quad biking just outside Ladysbridge, remember that being alot of fun when i did it a few years ago.
    Been meaning to try that actually. I'm mad keen to go ballooning in Glanworth too, but it's hard to get anyone to go cos it's kinda pricey.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭DivX

€220 for the ballooning is a bit on the pricey side all right, if it was in or around the city it would be worth it for the view and pictures you could take.

Wonder how far they'd travel in the hour, down to Fermoy and back I suppose.

dahamsta wrote:
    So don't drink.

Leisureplex is fine, particularly after 8 or 9pm. Bring a group and make an evening of it: Roll a few down the lanes, have a game of Quasar for the laugh, couple games of pool or snooker to wind down, maybe a few video games thrown in for fun. I like air hockey meself.

You're thinking of foreign football, the Irish soccer season is only coming to a head now. Get yourself out to a proper game in Turners Cross this Friday, City V Shels.

Kinsale as far as I know.

Where did you ring? Hitchmoughs?

adam

Was talking about MSL ya, to be honest i much prefer GAA but only go to the soccer coz of my boyfriend. Even though, he HATES me there!!

Rang Hitchmoughs, they don't do what i want to do. Rang a few other places too. Do you know of any off hand Dahamsta??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Oooooh Ballooning would be sweet.

Danni wrote:
    Do you know of any off hand Dahamsta??
    'Fraid not Danni. I only know of Hitchmoughs cos I went there when I was younger.
    damien.m wrote:
    Oooooh Ballooning would be sweet.
    I'll add you to my list.

adam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Still almost completly missed the first point tho. What are you going to do on a winter's night in cork city? I've been going to a few gigs lately. There's a lot of good bands in cork atm. There's pool/bowling in bar boucha (the mardyke - I can't understand why the place is always almost empty). There's the odd play in the everymann or the opera house.

You could always do stuff. I must get off my ass and sign up for that spanish class I'm always saying I'll take. There's plenty of other courses to do too. Going out and meeting people doesn't always have to be a weekend thing.

I must get off my ass and sign up for that spanish class I'm always saying I'll take.
    Is /everyone/ in Cork going to learn Spanish this September. Will English be dropped as the first language of the city? :)

adam

I must get off my ass and sign up for that spanish class I'm always saying I'll take..

LMAO, i say that every single SEPTEMBER. I'll join a spanish class but of course i never end up doing it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

You can get surfing lessons in Inchydoney beach near Clonakilty. It's a bit of a trek alright but its a great laugh. And you never know you might get completely addicted like everyone else seems to be.
    There's a guy that rents out kayaks down in Garrettstown too, I think the name of the company is H20 Extreme. He's a Dub but he's sound out so don't hold it against him :D

The paintballing near Kinsale is really good fun but ye'd need a good few doing it and it's fairly pricey too (TIP: if ye're going for a wedding party tell them who's getting married, they handcuff them together and give them 5 minutes to run! Unarmed!)

Go for a few spins around the countryside if you can, there are some nice spots that you can visit. Did you know there's a stone circle similar to Stonehenge (albeit smaller) down in West Cork. Head to Roscarberry and look for the Drombeg stone circle. Or just take some photographs of the countryside. There's loads of scope for photography in Cork.

Go play a game of Pitch and Putt, started that recently with the girlfriend and it's a great laugh. It'd be cool if there was a Crazy Golf in Cork (do I spot an empty niche?).

If you're getting bored of the nightlife here then why not head away for a weekend. I love going to new places up the West Coast. It's like a mini-holiday!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Swinging is a great larf.

Danni wrote:
    LMAO, i say that every single SEPTEMBER. I'll join a spanish class but of course i never end up doing it!

Laziness is a curse, isn't it? :) I've been saying this for four months now and I still haven't managed to pick up the phone. Probably either Ballincollig, Bishopstown or Douglas community schools. I don't know exactly where any of them are though. :o

That sounds like fun, Kold......but I'm too big for the swings.

St John's College in October for the beginner's Spanish class. They're not enrolling until September though so it's not definite yet. :)

Now where the fupp am I going to park.........

I got a flyer for Douglas Community School Adult Ed the other day and they have a beginner's spanish class. My old alma mater, so I think I'll do it there, see how the old place is holding up. :)

I'll scan it in and post it this evening in case anyone else is interested.

adam

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

dahamsta wrote:
    I got a flyer for Douglas Community School Adult Ed the other day and they have a beginner's spanish class. My old alma mater, so I think I'll do it there, see how the old place is holding up. :)

I'll scan it in and post it this evening in case anyone else is interested.

adam

ahhh memories

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Danni wrote:
    Rang Hitchmoughs, they don't do what i want to do. Rang a few other places too. Do you know of any off hand Dahamsta??

If I may jump in, the two places I've been to are 1, just outside Rochestown on the Passage West road and 2, on the road to Roberts Cove. Don't know their names sorry. Theres also a place down around Inchidonny but that's a bit of a spin just to hop on a horse.

Failing that, The Golden Pages is your friend.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement