Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pros and cons of wearing makeup

Options
  • 07-08-2004 4:00pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi - had a discussion with some of my friends about this - I wear very limited make up (lipstick), have been known to wear eyeshadow and mascara the very odd time but that is it. Most of my female friends are saying that I should be wearing more make up but my male friends like the amount that I wear. What is the general consensis about how much make up is necessary?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Personally, I wear the grand amount of none. Not a single bit at all. Me with makeup just wouldn't seem right somehow

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

Good to know that someone else does not wear much make up - the girls that I was debating this with thought I should wear foundation, blusher etc which I hate. I do concede to wearing contact lenses but I can't stand the other stuff - my best male friends don't even like when I wear mascara and I do get complemented on not wearing much make up by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

Well I generally don't wear any during the day - or if I did for some reason it would be very little. I just couldn't be bothered putting it on in the morning, I'm generally in enough of a rush as it is! I'd put some on when going out at night though - foundation, blusher or powder, lipstick and eye shadow. I'd like to try eyeliner, but I still haven't mastered the art of using it without looking like some deranged wierdo with black eyes! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

i'm a guy and i have to say i HATE when women wear loads of hake up, especially that foundation sheit. if u just take care of you skin it'll look grand. nice natural skin with no crap on it is a big turn on - LESS IS MORE!!!

look at this mess:

makeup.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,950 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Isn't that a man?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Mewzel

i only wear mascara. if im going out at night i might wear eye shadow and maybe eyeliner too. but i never ever wear foundation/blusher or any of that. its just such a hassle. id prefer to have my extra 10 minutes in bed

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Stark wrote:
    Isn't that a man?
    Uh-huh...I think so

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Hiya- there was a similar thread in after hours a while back.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=163087

I think the concensus was in many cases that some women feel an inherent "need" to use makeup- and large quantities of it, almost as a form of clothing, and feel that they are somehow not fully dressed until they do. Then again, other women feel that they have absolutely no need to adulterate their appearances with makeup- they are perfectly happy without excessive makeup.

I'm a guy- personally I would be hesitant about women who wear too much makeup. My girlfriend wears the minimum amount- because she doesn't need to- she has lovely skin- she doesn't need to hide herself beneath layers of foundation/mascara etc. I think that people who really shovel makeup on are trying to portray someone that they blatantly are not. Perhaps its an insecurity thing- people, of both sexes, are inherently paranoid about their appearances- and makeup seems like a solution to hide these perceived imperfections.

In all honesty- I think most guys would much rather see a woman wearing the bare minimum amount of make up- along with showing confidence in herself (naturally) shes not "fake".

Hope I haven't been too harsh.....

S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭JessieG

i have to wear makeup to work but i gurantee if you ask any male friend of minee they would not believe i wore foundation. Who every gave girls the idea that they had to apply the stuff by the cup full should be shot. "the whole concept of make-up is to enhance your skin tone/texture/apperance WITHOUT being notice by ANYONE." Estee Laudeer

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

I wear as much as I want - in saying that, I don't douse myself in cosmetics each time I leave the house.

For a while I bought into the concept of "The Beauty Myth" - and thought that my not wearing makeup was some sort of message or protest against ... well, looking back, I'm not exactly sure what it was against!

Then I realized that I can look cute - damn cute - if I put in a little effort to get spruced up.

I'm absolutely not bothered about what anyone else thinks of my makeup - and I find it rather smug and churlish of a chap to say that he wouldn't think much of a girl who wears a lot of makeup.

To each his own, though. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Hello Kitty

I only wear mascara, eyeliner and blush.
    I hate foundation. :cool:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

vibrant wrote:
    I find it rather smug and churlish of a chap to say that he wouldn't think much of a girl who wears a lot of makeup.QUOTE]

Not exactly what I was saying at all......
    What I said was most guys would much rather see a girl wearing a minimum of makeup and being confident in herself- rather than hiding under the vast quantities of various potions that seem to be ever more prevalent.

Sure you can look damn cute when you spruce yourself up- but if you start overdoing things- really trowelling on the mascarra or whatever- then what do you think? I think you will have to agree that unfortunately a lot of people have not got a vague notion of what entails a tasteful manner in which to apply makeup and spruce themselves up....... I am not limiting that to women either- us guys are everybit as much disaster areas......

Quantity does not equate with quality.

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If I had a job that required me to look good and presentable then I would weat makeup. But I would also try to keep it to a minimum.

I'm a bit of a contradiction as I dopn't believe in wearing cheap makeup. All my stuff is clinique etc. But I only wear it about 3 times a year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I put makeup on my eyes most of the time, on my lips sometimes but never on the rest of my skin plus I can get it all done in about two minutes (I've known people to spend hours putting on makeup - a waste of time). Foundation etc just makes bad skin worse rather than covering it up - it's truly disgusting.

So to answer the original question, a minimal amount is better imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

simu wrote:
    (I've known people to spend hours putting on makeup - a waste of time).

Hours?! Are you sure that they weren't doing something else behind a locked bathroom door and using the ol' "putting on my makeup" excuse? ;)

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I hate wearing make-up. I only ever wear it when I'm going out because I'd feel like a slob if all the girls were wearing it and I wasn't...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Danni

I wear make-up every day but not in the evenings when im chilling out at home or in my boyfriends place. I always wear it leaving the house though but its not caked on. I agree with what JessieG said & what Estee Lauder quoted.
    Although i use foundation, bronzer, blush, powder, concealer, eyeshadow, liner, mascara & lippie, i can still go out looking like im wearing nothing.
    I think girls should be trained in the ART of using make-up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

I don't wear much makeup myself. I am lucky to have good skin so I don't need foundation, but besides that all the shades I have ever tried made me look yellow. ("Ivory", my arse).

When I'm going out I often wear dark eye makeup, not necessarily black but purple, dark blue and dark green. I also wear concealer under my eyes.
    I *never* wear lipstick, lip gloss or any of that ****e. I hate the stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

simu wrote:
    Foundation etc just makes bad skin worse rather than covering it up - it's truly disgusting.

I completly agree, I can't understand how people can put crap like that on top of spots, surely it most agravate them more than the spots themselves.
    danni wrote:
    Although i use foundation, bronzer, blush, powder, concealer, eyeshadow, liner, mascara & lippie, i can still go out looking like im wearing nothing.

I'm honestly wondering if you are one of those people who think that they look natural but don't. Obvioulsy I don't know you and you probaly look like the most au natural person on the world, but how in god's name can you when you are wearing all that on your face, and why do you wear all that makeup.
    I wear no makeup generally, mascara if i'm going out and a tiny ammount of blush (and that's only because i'm pale), people generally comment on how good my foundation is and when i tell them i'm not wearing any they can't believe it, the point is, i have great skin because i have never put a cakes of crap (or foundation if you like) on my face.
    If i had to put that much make up on every morning I'd call in sick.

gogo wrote:
    I'm honestly wondering if you are one of those people who think that they look natural but don't. Obvioulsy I don't know you and you probaly look like the most au natural person on the world, but how in god's name can you when you are wearing all that on your face, and why do you wear all that makeup.
    I wear no makeup generally, mascara if i'm going out and a tiny ammount of blush (and that's only because i'm pale), people generally comment on how good my foundation is and when i tell them i'm not wearing any they can't believe it, the point is, i have great skin because i have never put a cakes of crap (or foundation if you like) on my face.
    If i had to put that much make up on every morning I'd call in sick.

Suprisingly enough i do look natural! I wouldnt go so far as to say im the most au natural in the world as you mentioned but people always comment on how natural my make-up looks. I like wearing it to enhance my features. You may have noticed earlier that JessieG posted a quote from Estee Lauder ""the whole concept of make-up is to enhance your skin tone/texture/apperance WITHOUT being notice by ANYONE." Well, thats how i do it, and i'm proud of it. In my eyes, applying make-up is an art. I use an oil free foundation that has very light coverage and matches my skin tone exactly. Blush for the flushed cheeks look (which i love).. Neutral eyeshadows to enhance the colour in my eyes. Mascara to lenghten my lashes.
    People always comment on my make-up too gogo. I think people that don't get complimented are the ones that wear orange foundation, do the dark eyes look & over do it on the blush. As i said before, i really do feel there is an art in applying make-up without looking over done.
    And about the time thing every morning. My make up takes me 6 minutes MAX. I dont sit at the mirror for hours or anything!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭commuterised

I don't wear any makeup to work but if I'm going out at night or at weekends I'll wear a tinted moisturiser as opposed to foundation. I can still feel my skin breathing then!
    Just a lil eyeliner, mascara and a slick of juicey tube and I'm ready to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Danni wrote:
    ones that wear orange foundation, do the dark eyes look & over do it on the blush.

I'd love to be inside the head of a tango'd one before they go out, I presume they have really dark rooms and only a hand mirror to get ready with, the blind guy dog snuggling at their feet.

gogo wrote:
    I'd love to be inside the head of a tango'd one before they go out, I presume they have really dark rooms and only a hand mirror to get ready with, the blind guy dog snuggling at their feet.

LOL!! That would be the impression they give alright :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭KlodaX

It is possible to apply make up and make it look natural.

I'm on my 3rd day of no make up! wha whoooo! inspired by this thread.

I feel naked.

but its a good thing. :p

KlodaX wrote:
    It is possible to apply make up and make it look natural.

I'm on my 3rd day of no make up! wha whoooo! inspired by this thread.

I feel naked.

but its a good thing. :p

Well done on not wearing the make-up KlodaX but i just want to leave you know that YES it is possible to apply make up and make it look natural. Dud u know that 95% of girls out there are wearing the WRONG shade of foundation. An exact match is exactly as it says. Not a shade or 2 darker to give you a colour, thats what makes people look like they're wearing foundation.

Just to prove my point, i'd recommend anyone to go to your nearest Bobbi Brown counter (if you're yellow toned) and ask them which shade would be your match. I can guarantee, you will be 100% surprised by the colour the choose for you. I felt like a ghost applying my BB foundation the first time because all the foundations i used to use beforehand were much darker (even though i considered them my exact match)

I agree completely ... most girls I think use fake tan and don't apply it to their faces so they try to match their make up to look like they've a tan.

My aunty couldn't believe I wore make up cause I'm so pale ... she couldn't understand why someone would wear make up that was practically white.

Make up goes wrong when girls use it to colour themselves as opposed to evening out their skin tone.

nearly 2 weeks now of no make up .. *and I used to be a daily wearer* .. I have come up with some pros and cons.

Pro: Its a little something extra to make you look glam when you are going out.
    Con: You stay out the entire night and by morning look like you let a 5 year old loose on your face with your grannies make up from the 50s

Pro: For the day after being out .. applying a new face leaves you appearing fresher than those without.

Con: Getting up earlier to apply make up leaves less time for sleep
    Con: Has to be checked at regular intervals to ensure smugging has not occured.
    Con: Make up needs to be carried around all day
    Con: Rubs off onto pillow if not removed

more cons than pros. down with that sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭golden gal

hiya! you say your "friends" tell you that you should wear more make-up, is that not a bit insulting? there may be a distinct possibility that jelousy is a factor as your guy friends say you look fine. if a guy thought you looked dodgy he'd pass a jokey comment. i think you could try experimenting but too little in the case of make-up is ofetn better than too much.
    let us know how you get on!!
    good luck!!
    **Golden Gal!!**

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

golden gal wrote:
    hiya! you say your "friends" tell you that you should wear more make-up, is that not a bit insulting? there may be a distinct possibility that jelousy is a factor as your guy friends say you look fine. if a guy thought you looked dodgy he'd pass a jokey comment. i think you could try experimenting but too little in the case of make-up is ofetn better than too much.
    let us know how you get on!!
    good luck!!
    **Golden Gal!!**
    Thanks for that - I finally worked that one out for myself recently. I suppose I was just a bit too self conscious about it - sometimes there is a girly thing about makeup but I know in my heart that I do not need it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,333 ✭✭✭✭Victor

gogo wrote:
    I completly agree, I can't understand how people can put crap like that on top of spots, surely it most agravate them more than the spots themselves.
    Can do. Nothing worse than seeing a huge spot through make-up. A girl I used to know would permanently wear make-up and managed to aggravate/infect a spot and the infection ended up being about an inch across. :eek:
    Danni wrote:
    Well done on not wearing the make-up KlodaX but i just want to leave you know that YES it is possible to apply make up and make it look natural. Dud u know that 95% of girls out there are wearing the WRONG shade of foundation. An exact match is exactly as it says. Not a shade or 2 darker to give you a colour, thats what makes people look like they're wearing foundation.
    It's really funny though when they come back from holiday with a tan and their shoulders are several shades darker than their necks.

Advertisement