Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

how can I lookup a number plate owner?

• 20-07-2004 1:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭

Is it possible, for a mere civilian, to find out a cars registered owner (name & address) from a number plate?

Maybe at the appropriate county hall, there is a way of checking?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

No. Only the gardai are allowed do vehicle searches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,534 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I wouldn't think so. I would imagine that even the Gardai would need to call the Department of Environment (or have access to their databases) in order to do this.
    I couldn't see this information being made publicly available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

I'm looking at a car for sale and I want to do a HPI check like in the UK to establish if the seller is really the owner and if it has been stolen etc. is there anything like that in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

ask in a Garda station. They obviously won't tell you who the owner actually is but they may say
    "it's grand, not stolen and not reported in any crash"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Some financial instutions have access to that list.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

Originally posted by vector
    I'm looking at a car for sale and I want to do a HPI check like in the UK to establish if the seller is really the owner and if it has been stolen etc. is there anything like that in Ireland.

Found this in the Used Car Guide on aib.ie...

Another important check for you to make is that the car isn’t still subject to an outstanding hire purchase agreement because, if it is, the car will still belong to the bank or finance company and the seller won’t have any legal right to sell it. If you phone Hire Purchase Information on (01) 260 0905 and give them the registration number, they will check out the car’s ownership for you.

http://www.aib.ie/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=AIB_PersonalPortal%2FAIB_Guide%2Faib_d_guide&c=AIB_Guide&cid=1004321421156&channel=CC

By the way, the Garda do have access to owners name & addresses. I had someone run into me before and leave the scene. I had the reg plate number and the Guards gave me the name & address (somehow I doubt this was legal!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Gardai can check it straight away. I was nearly knoced off my Hornet a few years ago and I went to the station to report the dude, I mixed up two numbers in the reg and they said the car type didn't match. When I ghave the correct number the correct vehicle came up and they said they would issude him with a warning.
    Originally posted by Krusty_Clown
    I wouldn't think so. I would imagine that even the Gardai would need to call the Department of Environment (or have access to their databases) in order to do this.
    I couldn't see this information being made publicly available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I understand that in Swizerland you
    can buy a car owners registry which is published every year.

If you get cut up take the drivers number and then visit his home!

It could only work in Switzerland methinks.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭seaghdhas

Isn't a book like that done in Japan as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭ando

Last year I put a deposit down for a 2nd hand Focus in Harmonstown Ford. I got my sister to check out the reg before I bought it (she's in the garda). It turned out the car was involved in a robbery in Blanchardstown, had no tax for months and was eventually repossessed by Ford for non payments. If I didn’t have that info, I would of bought the car. I could of got the address of the original owner aswell but that would of been illegal and my sis could of got into trouble.

note, Everytime a check is made on a reg, a record is made of the check in the garda's database

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭PBC_1966

I believe that DVLA here in the U.K. will supply details if you can provide them (in writing) with a convincing enough reason, e.g. "the driver collided with my vehicle and drove off and I need to pursue him for damages."

I've also heard about the Swiss publication that Mike mentioned Not certain, but I seem to recall hearing that in Switzerland you can also have one number / set of plates and transfer them between two or more cars at will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Yea I think its one of those countries where you get your plates for life, and move them every time you buy a new car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭PBC_1966

Not just a transfer when changing vehicles, but IIRC you can own two cars simultaneously and run them on one set of plates, just putting the plates on whichever car you want to take out on the road at any time.

It was several years ago, so my memory might be a bit fuzzy on that though. I seem to recall Jeremy Clarkson talking about the Swiss publication of all numbers, so I guess it must have been Top Gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭TommyK

Nope, mere civilians can't readily access that information.

Only the Gardai and MTO people (duh!) can. (A Garda can walk into an MTO and get any details he asks for about either vehicles or driving licences).

It's possible to get the information if you do it through your solicitors in relation to a legal matter.

Other than that, you can't . . . good job too - too many psychos out there!

Than, and you wouldn't be able to splash pedestrians and scare Granny's off their bikes still sleep soundly at night! :D

Tommy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Originally posted by PBC_1966
    Not just a transfer when changing vehicles, but IIRC you can own two cars simultaneously and run them on one set of plates, just putting the plates on whichever car you want to take out on the road at any time.

It was several years ago, so my memory might be a bit fuzzy on that though. I seem to recall Jeremy Clarkson talking about the Swiss publication of all numbers, so I guess it must have been Top Gear.
    It's similar over here in Austria. The only thing is both cars must be listed on the insurance so you end up paying the insurance for the most powerful or more expensive car. It's very common here with people who have a convertable.

The plate for life thing is also here. YOu can also get a customisable plate but that might cost you every year (I'm not really sure about that).

Another nice thing is that it's the car that's insured so anyone with a licence (no provisionals here) can drive it providing the owner gives them permission and the relevant papers.

And yet another nice thing is that the registration is done by the insurance company for you and they hand you out the plates at the time you register. The Car tax is also included in your insurance payments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by Imposter
    Another nice thing is that it's the car that's insured so anyone with a licence (no provisionals here) can drive it providing the owner gives them permission and the relevant papers.

And yet another nice thing is that the registration is done by the insurance company for you and they hand you out the plates at the time you register. The Car tax is also included in your insurance payments.

Civilisation is in, of all places Austria! :D

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Originally posted by mike65
    Civilisation is in, of all places Austria! :D
    Well I wouldn't go that far but in terms of Roads, insurance and anything transport related I suppose it applies.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Also worth bearing in mind that the Garda database can be 6 to 12 months out of date. Wifes mother traded in her car and got a call from the Gards to say it had been in an accident months later.
    When she told them she sold the car months ago they just said sorry for bothering you, never doubting that their info was poo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Originally posted by mike65

It could only work in Switzerland methinks.

.........where everybody does time in the army and has an M16. It think giving too much information to people like that could be dodgy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by milltown
    Also worth bearing in mind that the Garda database can be 6 to 12 months out of date.
    Not really. While the Garda database is behind the motortax data base, it is never more than 1-4weeks (apparently that was a gross exception).
    Originally posted by milltown
    Wifes mother traded in her car and got a call from the Gards to say it had been in an accident months later. When she told them she sold the car months ago they just said sorry for bothering you, never doubting that their info was poo.
    Is she sure she completed the paperwork?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Cruicie

I know this is resurrecting an old thread but just wondering does anyone know how is there any other way to legally find the name and address of a person from a licenese plate without going to the guards?

Reason being that a young traveller ran out and hit the side of my car a month ago and now I'm being sued by the father, a well known young man known locally for various crimes and who is in and out of jail. They said everything was fine at the time i.e no injuries and headed off. However,they took my licence plate number, sourced my home address where my parents in their late 60's are living and sent a solicitors letter sueing. This guy never met me in my life and vice versa so I don't know where he found the information. On giving a statement to the local garda later that day, they asked me where he had gotten this information because they never gave it to him. In fact, even though he said to the guard that he knew nothing but my first name, the letter was posted that day to my home address.

So essentially, it appears to be entirely possible for a man with a extensive criminal record ( he's been in the papers more times than Lindsey Lohan) to find all my personal details and home address without requiring any garda assistance. He doesn't appear to be the sort of man who has friends in the department of the the Environment either.

Seems to me that his "no win no fee" solicitor might have. I'm just pretty upset about this whole situation overall but I didn't think freedom of information extended to a situation in Ireland when your average Joe can't get these details but my friend the kingpin of assault, carrying a knife, resisting arrest etc, can.

On a side note, I think i'm being completely taken for a ride here. There was no negligence on my behalf but that's another story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Please don't drag up old threads, feel free to start a new one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement