Tesco Clare Hall Shopping Centre - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

20-07-2004, 00:36   #1
robbie1876

Send a message via Yahoo to robbie1876
Tesco Clare Hall Shopping Centre

Opened today! Took a mooch down to see what it's like. Jolly impressive it was too. I'd say it's easily the biggest supermarket in Ireland. Very well laid out, seems to have lots more of everything than a regular Tesco, and its open 24 hours.

Happy days indeed. Made doing my bit of shopping a pleasure for a change. The rest of the shopping centre is not great though, none of the shops would appeal to me at all.

Only problem was the opening 'offers'. For example, 2 for 1 DVDs on a selected line. DVD were about €22 each, and included the likes of Robocop and Platoon. LOL!!
Advertisement
20-07-2004, 00:42   #2
monkeyfudge

Send a message via ICQ to monkeyfudge Send a message via AIM to monkeyfudge Send a message via MSN to monkeyfudge Send a message via Skype™ to monkeyfudge
Was it very busy? I figured I wouldn't bother trying it out today on account of the crowds...

sure it's probably not too busy now (12.40am) but I don't feel like walking down to Clare Hall at this hour... for obvious reasons...
20-07-2004, 00:57   #3
jesus_thats_gre

Send a message via MSN to jesus_thats_gre
It is the biggest supermarket in Ireland.. They were allowed to ignore planning restrictions for it... They pretty much want to build quite a few more of these beauties around the country and take shops out of the centre of town or consolidate two shops into one..
20-07-2004, 01:02   #4
munkeehaven

great..everything will end up looking the same..nothing beats walking down narrow streets peeking into all the little shops...huge shopping centres make me feel so...robotic.....its like ''this is your only purpose... to shop''...you know they constantly have someone on the intercom..drilling things into your brain....its like when your in a shop and you find yourself singing the song that had been playing in the background....
20-07-2004, 01:06   #5
jesus_thats_gre

Send a message via MSN to jesus_thats_gre
Plot to take over the world maybe??

I prefer having a better selection at low prices over browsing tiny, overpriced, backward shops in town centres... Getting parking is nice too...

Preferences... huh
Advertisement
20-07-2004, 01:08   #6
munkeehaven

well.....i dont know really, i suppose whatever i want never seems to be in the humongomarkets. i mean the ones in america are a joke, they should be seperate countries...i remember living there as a wee girl and thinking i'd never get out of one of those damn shopping malls....
20-07-2004, 09:53   #7
impr0v

That's the theory behind the planning laws which usually limit the size of such developments, and which also prevent the likes of Ikea entering the Irish market, it's to try and protect the town centres and viability of smaller shops.

Why fight your way into town to buy something when you can go the the great barn of anonymity, park in one of the 1.5 million free parking spaces and get the item for half the price, in half the time?

Where is Clare Hall anyway, for those from the sticks, and why were they allowed build big there and nowhere else?
20-07-2004, 10:00   #8
Dr. Loon

It's on Dublins Northside, kind of between Darndale and Donaghmede. The new Tesco is on the Malahide road.

Anyone know if the petrol station is open yet?
20-07-2004, 10:08   #9
Hobbes

Mod: Korean
Quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Loon
It's on Dublins Northside, kind of between Darndale and Donaghmede. The new Tesco is on the Malahide road.

Anyone know if the petrol station is open yet?
Not sure, someone told me it was open before the store was.

Its on the malahide road, no where near Donaghmede (unless your coming from that direction via clarehall).

Just passed the Darndale roundabout on the way to malahide, you can't miss it. Near O'Tooles GAA club.
Advertisement
20-07-2004, 10:27   #10
monkeyfudge

Send a message via ICQ to monkeyfudge Send a message via AIM to monkeyfudge Send a message via MSN to monkeyfudge Send a message via Skype™ to monkeyfudge
Clare Hall is just an estate... they don't seem to like to call attention to the fact that it's in Coolock.

The Clare Hall estate only exists about 8 or 9 years now.

But this new Tesco will never be as great Northside Shopping Centre in all it's RUC-Barracks style beauty....
20-07-2004, 10:31   #11
whosurpaddy

yea the petrol station is open and has forced all the garages on the malahide road to lower prices as i9ts selling for 91.9cpl. its so busy they have people working on the forecourt just to keep people moving.

post about it on the bargains board.
20-07-2004, 10:33   #12
Mossy Monk

Quote:
Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
They were allowed to ignore planning restrictions for it...
why?
20-07-2004, 10:35   #13
robbie1876

The petrol station is indeed open, 91.9 petrol, 81.9 diesel. To get to the centre from the sticks, come to the end of the M50 towards the airport, but keep going straight, following signs for Malahide. After a mile or so of going straight, turn right at the traffic lights. You cant miss it. It's the building that looks like it should be the new terminal for Dublin Airport.
20-07-2004, 10:37   #14
robbie1876

Quote:
But this new Tesco will never be as great Northside Shopping Centre in all it's RUC-Barracks style beauty....
Northside ... (beuw...!)
Northside... (beuw....!)
The great great shopping centre!
20-07-2004, 13:07   #15
Dr. Loon

Quote:
Originally posted by Hobbes

Its on the malahide road, no where near Donaghmede (unless your coming from that direction via clarehall).
If you were passing the Tesco on your way into town on the Malahide road. A left at the next roundabout (Darndale roundabout) basically brings you into Donaghmede. So yeah, it's near Donaghmede/Clarehall/Darndale

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion