Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poem: Flesh Of Stone

Options
  • 29-06-2004 6:10pm
    Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭

The darkness surrounding the land slowly began to evaporate, as the sun revealed itself to the earth, smiling with its passive face of light at the motion of life that continued on before it. An eternity I have sat, contemplating, waiting, wondering what wonders I have missed. Ever since the heartless angel from above tainted my very soul with the cold, ghoul touch of stone, people have gone by me in total ignorance of my being. They see my outer shell, but fail to see my inner despair.

Inside a square of passive greenery, I sit, eyes rolled to the heavens in a pleading stare, hoping that sympathy should float my way and release me from my immortality, release me from my eternal past, separate me from the living dreams which have halted the blood of my motionless being.
    My body is my now my prison, my life is a mere illusion, an image of what I wished it to be. Everyday my solid eyes witness the rise and fall of the sun, the creeping movement of the distant dissipating clouds. Hail and rain bounce off my solid, cold complexion, while sunshine reflects off my brow.

If I am to live in this lingering Limbo, would God have mercy and send searing showers to erode my solid, moulded shape into a flurry of fragments, to scatter about the land and enable me to see its wonders for the first time since the birth of my un-ageing life? Or would he send a man, chisel in hand, to carve my being into a shape more tolerable and endurable towards the hardship? Do I wish to be shaped as a bird?
    A boar? Do I have the capability to wish at all?

There will be no end to this everlasting torture. This cursed creature, with head locked in upward slant, is doomed to stare the same vision until the end of time.

Time.

Time is my only possession, my one ally. Time has preserved my sanity, yet it fuels my hatred for myself. And so I sit, like a Chapel Gargoyle, with its rooftop stare, remaining alone, rooted to the rafters of hell, doomed to live my life of discoloured memories.

I can do nothing but wait and wonder, wait while I wither, live my life isolated inside my shell. There is no escape from myself.
    There is no escape from my flesh of stone.

Written by Andrew Duffy,
    1st March 1998

Comments

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Another old project, hitherto been binned on the breakdown of my old computer.
    It's interesting for myself to read what I used to write so long ago.
    I wrote that for my leaving certificate, and I had completely forgotten about it.

Anyway, enjoy (Or at least, I hope you do).

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

very moving Andy, I enjoyed it and felt it very deeply..
    seems very much like a window me thinks, to your soul/emotional state of being at that period of your life.
    I am glad you shared that piece, it is a different format than that which people have been posting latley...
    perhaps it will be a good tool for some :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭Naos

what ya get in your leaving for english ? If you put that in like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭keu

a response in the vein of Hostyle's nature...
    flesh of stone?
    what drugs you taking? fleshy stones..tuh..

:D
    total sarcasm intended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭munkeehaven

my god that has to be one of the best poems i have read in a long time...the imagery is so precise and potent......all the lines run so smoothly..its just brilliant....

• Advertisement
  • Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Let's just say that I barely passed the honours English exam... Damn that stupid 'HAMLET'...

Then again, the exam took place after I missed an entire yaer of school due to previous problems and hardship, so that alone means that I did quite well.

The poem did OK, on it's own, but it wasn't the main part of the exam so It didn't nab me much points in fairness. Either way, I managed to get through it ok :)

Thanks for the input guys - It's nice to see that it was worth keeping that damn poem. It's quite ancient now, and was one of the very VERY few I wrote.

Glad you liked it!

Advertisement