Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Like to Volunteer?

Options
  • 08-05-2004 8:27pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭

would you like to volunteer to help the community & meet interesting people ?

THEN join the Order Of Malta Ambulance Corps you can join as a volunteer learn first aid,Nursing & ambulance skills

Ages from 10 up (cadets) 16 up for (senior members)

visit our National website:
    http://www.orderofmalta.ie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Well worth joining for people with a little spare time to give as well as for the skills and training you will be given. I'm going to sticky this for the moment until I can compile a list of organizations that are worth joining. If anybody else has info or links then post them here for inclusion.

Red

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 phantom kitty

I put my name down to volunteer with my local youth service (Tallaght) and last night I started helping out with 2 local youth clubs, they do lots of different stuff and I'll be doing some drama and dance with them. It's good fun and a good cause!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭N_Raid

I'm a member of the St. John Ambulance.
    It's pretty much the same as the Order of Malta, Anyone over 10 can join. Between 10 and 16 are the cadets and 16 and over is the adults.
    I would love to be able to post a link to website but the simple fact is that we don't have one so I'll just have to describe it instead.

Well it's a uniformed organisation (as a lot of people probably know from having seen members in public) It has your basic rank structure but there is more emphasis on helping people and putting your skills to use than in going up the ranks.
    As I said it's pretty much like the order of malta and you learn the same skills as The Real B-man said you learn in the Order (First Aid, Ambulance and Nursing skills).
    But they are not the only things you learn. If you join as a cadet there are a number of Badge subjects. Things like the History of the order, home nursing, radio communications and so on. If you do twelve of these subjects you get the Presidents badge (big ceremony).

There are also a LOAD of different areas of First aid and related topics that you can constantly learn about and expand your knowledge on. It's not like you go in do the course and you're set for the rest of your life. Already this year I've done Manual Handling (how to lift objects proplerly, with emphasis on stretchers), Oxygen therapy (how to give someone oxygen properly, the correct rates etc), an extensive childbirth course ( pretty self explanatory), a detailed burns lecture from one of Europes leading Burns experts and I am now A.E.D. qualified (Which means I am trained to use a Defribrilator - The electric heart thingy) and there is loads more I can still do.

It is also great for anyone who wants to do youth work because there is a lot there with the amount of 10 - 16 year olds who are members.
    You get plenty of chances to put your skills to good use. We cover croke park for the whole season,all the Soccer and rugby matches at Landsdowne road, all the concerts in the RDS, The St. Patricks Festival, a lot of the League of Ireland soccer grounds, and there are various local events that are covered by the local divisions.

There is no requirement to go on any of the duties,or even to go to every meeting night, the amount of commitment is totally up to the individual.

Oh yeah and it also looks great on your C.V. and you can pad it out well by going on about all the skills you have as a result (Responsibility, organisation, Leadership, etc.)

I hope I haven't gone on too long about it but there isn't really anywhere on the net with this info. So if anyone is interested in Joining then I'd say the best thing would be to ring up Headquarters on (01) 668 8077 and find out where your local division is/ how to contact the people who run it etc.

(Edit): I've just found a website but bear in mind that it's the website of one division and hasn't been updated in a few years It's Raheny Division's Website

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

yeah the st johns are good only problem very few units in ireland dublin & cork mainly very big in the uk thow

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Arthur Krupp

Site doesn't have much info on how you join up, though-anyone wanna give a rough guide?

if your talking about www.orderofmalta.ie well the country is split up into regions with dublin being the largest with over 25 units. for units in you areaClick Here or for general info Click Here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Im 14 and I'd definitely be interested an doing some volounteer work in the summer (I'l be 15 then) can anyone reccomend anything?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

originally posted by Rozabeez
    Im 14 and I'd definitely be interested an doing some volounteer work in the summer (I'l be 15 then) can anyone reccomend anything?
    I would suggest you go to your local community centre and find out if there is anything you could help out with there or there might be information on voluntary groups there. Have a chat with your parent about it if you need a lift to where you could go and see if they can suggest anything. maybe a youth club would be a way to go with
    foroige. Here is another more general volunteer coordinating website. http://www.volunteeringireland.com/Frameset_WeNeedVolunteers.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

http://www.dspca.ie/index3.asp

It's an animal shelter up the dublin hills. I spent a summer there shovelling horse poo and telling them which puppies and kittens had distemper and needed to be put down. The state of some of the animals will upset, infuriate or disgust you, depending on what sort of person you are.

http://www.cvi.ie/

Conservation Volunteers Ireland

I went out with them to cut down trees that were choking other slower growing trees in the forest near Mosney, and make them into walkways. i was sent there with a group, and it felt more like a day out than work. However, you don't get the good feeling with this that you do with something like the dspca.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 PaddyOC

I really suggest joining The Order Of Malta
    It's good fun aswell as it gives you a good feeling on the inside :D

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi,

For lots of volunteering opportunities in Ireland .. visit this site.
    They list positions form scouting to teaching disabled people.
    Great site and a real eye opener to whats going on in your community, and of course, what you can do to help

"promoting, supporting and facilitating
    voluntary action in the Republic of Ireland ..."

http://www.volunteeringireland.com/

B

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭FatB

For me, I think that Civil Defence is by far one of the best organisations to be in, I have been in a lot in my time, Red Cross, F.C.A., St. Vincent De Paul, Scouts and a few more, but Civil Defence offers so much more of a scope for what you want to do.

Its from 16 up, which might put some people off, I'll post a thread about them on this forum...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭*Page*

the VSI is always a great way to get involved my boyfriend spent the summer in france building and this summer i'll be going to work with children..through the VSI.
    http://www.vsiireland.org

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Habitat for Humanity Ireland (http://www.habitatireland.ie) is part of Habitat for Humanity International.

Habitat for Humanity is an internationally acclaimed self-build housing organisation that has built over 150,000 homes in over 90 countries since its inception in 1976. Internationally, it has provided over 625,000 people in over 3,000 communities with safe, decent homes. Its aim is to eliminate poverty housing worldwide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 rock yr sox off

I was just wondering does anyone know what skills or qualifications you would need to volunteer for concern or trocaire etc? And do you necessarily go overseas to work? And how old do you have to be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 r1g2b3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

For general enquiries about volunteering in the developing world: http:www.comhlamh.org - ask for Barry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

Is Volunteerism even a real word?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Number6

Yes, it's a word.

I recommend The Presidents Award (Formerally Gaisce) www.p-award.net.
    NUI Galway's Gaisce Society can be found at www.gaiscesoc.com

I am an authorised "PAL" for The Award, and I'll happily represent - or be able to find someone in your area to represent - you, and guide you through the award.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭lyrama

Heya, does anyone know any places that need volunteers? I'm 15 but I'll be 16 soon and I'd like to help out somewhere during the summer.

lyrama wrote:
    Heya, does anyone know any places that need volunteers? I'm 15 but I'll be 16 soon and I'd like to help out somewhere during the summer.

Maybe you could try your local Day care Centre? or animal sanctuary?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭weeginger

Hey, I am just wondering if all this interest in volunteering is based in Dublin? I am the volunteer co-ordinator with an exciting youth project in Letterkenny, but we are finding it fairly difficult to get enough volunteers on board. Any suggestions or interest?

I wouldn't say its just a Dublin thing just the fact most of the voluntary organisations administration is based in Dublin.

Maybe to raise awareness of your youth club you could make some flyers & drop them into local schools or maybe get the local press involved to give a atricle about your organisation also websites help alot to spread the word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭JohnnySideburns

VOLUNTEERING: Are you over 18? Do you have a few hours a week to spare? Are you interested in working with young people from 13 to 17 in the Dublin area? How would you like to become a volunteer mentor with the ISPCC? No experience necessary, training provided. Tel Margie on 6447705.

VOLUNTEERS: Barnardos is seeking volunteers to help out in the newly opened charity shop at 33 Lower Liffey Street, Dublin 1. If you have four or more hours to spare on any day from Monday to Saturday and are interested in volunteering, tel Geraldine on 8730937or call into the shop and ask for the manager. Full training and support will be given.

SVP APPEAL: The St Vincent De Paul hospital visitation conference is seeking new members. They meet every Sunday at Bru Chaoimhin, Cork Street and help hospital patients who are without visitors, and are lonely, worried or without funds. If you can spare the time tel Elizabeth on 4610671 or Eddie on 2885935 (evenings only).

CONSUMERS: The Consumers Association of Ireland is looking for long-term volunteers on its advice line. No experience necessary as full training will be provided. If you can spare between a half to one day per week over the coming year contact Judy on 4978811 or email judy.dunne@consumerassociation.ie. The position may suit a retired person or homemaker. Located in Ranelagh (close to Luas Green Line).

OXFAM: Oxfam Ireland is looking for a long term volunteer to work from one to five days per week. Full training will be provided. For more information contact Emma on 6727662.

CHARITY SHOP: Do you have time on your hands? Could you spare three hours a week for a good cause? The Irish Cancer Society is looking for volunteers for its new shop in Capel Street, Dublin 1 (beside Luas Red Line). Friendly atmosphere. No experience necessary. Contact: 2310500.

VOLUNTEERS: The Beaumont Hospital Foundation is urgently looking for volunteers to help sell tickets for its car draw and to help with other events as and when they are needed. For more information contact Noreen at the Foundation on 8092927.

DRIVERS: Volunteer drivers are required in Baldoyle, East Wall and North Strand to bring people, who have had strokes, to their club in Kilmore (near Beaumont Hospital) on either Mondays or Wednesdays from 10am to 12.30pm. Please phone Geraldine on 087-6416774 for more information.

CHILDLINE VOLUNTEERS: Are you over 18? Do you have four hours a week to spare? If so, Childline is looking for you to become a volunteer. For more information, phone 6794944. Full training will be given.

VOLUNTEER: Are you a student or part-time worker with some extra time on your hands? Oxfam Ireland is looking for volunteers to help in their office. People who are a dab hand with a computer and have an eye for detail are especially needed. If you’d like to lend a helping hand contact Emma on 6727662.

VOLUNTEERS: If you can spare three hours a week The Irish Cancer Society is looking for volunteers for its new shop at Capel Street, Dublin 1 (beside Luas Red Line). Friendly atmosphere. No experience necessary. For further information, contact 2310500.

STROKE VOLUNTEERS: Can you use your car to bring people suffering from strokes to and from the Stroke Club near Beaumont Hospital on either Mondays or Wednesdays from 10.30am-12.30pm. It only takes a couple hours but gives a lifeline to a person with a stroke. For more details, please phone Erica on 8481059. Drivers particularly needed in the Finglas and Cabra areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭mel123

JohnnySideburns, where did u get this info, are all places still looking for volunteers? Want to give a few of them today.

mel123 wrote:
    JohnnySideburns, where did u get this info, are all places still looking for volunteers? Want to give a few of them today.

Yes im curious to

mel123 wrote:

It is possible that some of the data could be out of date. The only way you'll know is to ring and found out. If anything is out of date I'm sure they won't want to let a volunteer go and should have something similar or know someone else you can call.

CLEAN UP: The next Dollymount Beach litter pick up, organised by the Bull Island Action Group, will take place this Saturday, July 15, at 11am. Meet at the toilet at Bull Wall. Come along and lend a hand to retain Dollymount’s Blue Flag status. For further information, phone (01) 8339352 or 086-8511830.

CHALLENGE: Join Women’s Aid for its Sinai Desert Challenge, which will take place from October 8-15. The sponsorship fee required is €2,950. Women’s Aid is a voluntary organisation that supports women who are physically, sexually and mentally abused in their own homes. Funds raised from the challenge will enable them to continue with their work. For more information on this amazing trip please contact Ger Ennis on (01) 8684721 or email ger.ennis@womensaid.ie

• Advertisement

VOLUNTEERS: Barnardos is seeking volunteers to assist with fundraising collections in Dundrum Shopping Centre as part of the Back to School appeal. If you can spare a half day (mornings/afternoons or evenings) or any weekend (Thursday to Sunday) from July 20 to August 27, contact Angela Walsh on 4530355, or email volunteers@barnardos.ie

WOMEN: Women's Aid is seeking volunteers to work on the Dublin based national free-phone helpline. If you are warm, a good listener and are interested in women’s issues, contact Louise Soady for an application form on 8684721 or e-mail Helpline@womensaid.ie

Advertisement