Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Can you hold two insurance policy's with 2 different companies on 2 different cars.

Options
  • 20-02-2004 5:04pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭

As the question reads..

If i have one car insured with lets say hibernian and I wish to insure myself in another car with lets say Axa is that ok ??

Do I have to declare that I already have a policy out on another car ?

Chief.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I see no reason why it shouldn't be ok.

So long as you let them both know should you crash.

If the two policies are exclusive, then I don't see why one insurer should have to know about the other. Headache for you though.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

for that matter could u not just have 2 policies from 1 company. I think i enquired about this before. do u not have to get fleet insurance r sumting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

You have to tell them. I'm sure you can get another policy on another car but as with all insurance contracts, it is based on absolute honesty. If there is something you should have told them and you didn't, your policy is void if you ever need it and you are driving uninsured.

"They never asked" is not good enough.

So tell them everything that you think might make a difference or it will surely come back to bite you in the ass.

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

not sure if this is legal. I remember my Dad trying to get insurance on my brothers cars so my brother could be a named driver but the Insurance company said if couldn't be done as you can only hold one insurance policy as the main policy holder. You could be on one policy as named driver though and another as main holder.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

No you can't I'm afraid.

You can get open driving policies

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Oh ya SteKelly I would do that alright :)

Just wondering could I if I wanted too.

Chief.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I really don't see why you couldn't..

I'm insured by two different companies at the moment - one for my car insurance, and one for my motorcycle insurance.. Shouldn't you be able to insure as many cars as you like, with as many different insurers as you like?

Take another example: What if I owned two cars, one which is a modern day car (say for example a Ford Fiesta) and another car which is more than 25 years old, for which I wanted classic car insurance. I don't see any reason why you would be obliged to make each of the insurance companies aware of your other policy. They are seperate contracts which relate to seperate vehicles.

Generally speaking, it's not in your interest anyway, as there are savings related to having multiple vehicles with a single company (e.g. cost reductions, admin overhead) etc..

For the insurers, you can't drive two cars at the same time, so reduced risk for them..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Genghis

If you can do it (and I'm not sure you can) and you don't tell both companies about the other, it could get interesting if you ever crashed one car into the other!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

from my brother's experience, yes you can have two policies on two cars, but your existing no claims bonus cannot be applied to both.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Originally posted by Borzoi
    from my brother's experience, yes you can have two policies on two cars, but your existing no claims bonus cannot be applied to both.

As Borzoi says.

I was insured for years as a named driver with my Mother as the policy holder (using her no claims bonus).
    However, when she decided to get her own car, although she was insured no problem, she could not benefit from the no claims bonus in use, therefore had to pay full whack on car number 2.
    It still worked out a lot cheaper than if I were to have got insured on my own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,033 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

You can have several several insurance policies for any item, but if the item is destroyed etc you will still only get the total insured amount.

i.e. if you insure something for €100 with 10 companies, they will each give you €10, not €100 each!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

You can have two different policies for two different vehicles from two different companies no problem. But you will not be allowed to use the same no claims bonus on both. One policy can have the no claims bonus, the other will have to start from scratch again (although eventually you will have two full no claims bonuses assuming you don't actually put in any claims).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

Surely if there are no named drivers on the policy, you should have ncb on both? Seems logical to me, you've either had a claim or not, plus you can only drive one car at a time so the mileage on average should be less....

I just remembered insurance co.'s don't do logic:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Crock Rock

I don't think you can have two simultaneous no claims bonuses going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭wally79

Is answering a 16 year old question some kind of new record?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

How did you even find this old thread..

Anyway, closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement